Slug hits high at 25 yards

This is a discussion on Slug hits high at 25 yards within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I participate in tactical matches. Usually one of the runs involves shooting a slug at a steel target about 25 yards away. I kept missing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slug hits high at 25 yards

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I participate in tactical matches. Usually one of the runs involves shooting a slug at a steel target about 25 yards away. I kept missing so one day I went to the range, set up a very tall target, put a bulls eye on it and fired a slug. At about 25 yards, the shell hit about 12 inches high out of a Remington 870 Marine. That kind of surprised me and I was wondering this happens with other shotgun.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Have you patterned various load combinations at different distances, yet? I think you'll see some of this.

Here's a guide to patterning various loads with a shotgun: click, or click, or click. Basically, with some good-sized targets, shoot a handful of a given load at each distance, documenting the results. Do the same for the other loads. If it matters, check different lengths of shells, bird/buck/slug shot, hot/tame loads, various chokes, at the different distances.

IIRC, the TCGC has a patterning board, up near the clubhouse. Check with the staff.

As for variation of POI for slugs vs shot, a few other opinions out there seem to agree with you ...

FiringLine discussion on bead/slug POI: click.
    One general rule of thumb is that @ 25 yds, one should aim @ 12" below center.
    Some guy passing along things he's learned over the years: click.
    The shotgun hunting neophyte will typically put the bead right on the deer's front shoulder and send the slug or buckshot flying harmlessly right over the deer's back. I find it necessary to put the POA on the deer's front knee (at close range), or at the base of the torso above the front knee (at longer range). This puts the POI right at the vitals: at the front shoulder, almost midway up the torso. That makes the POI 6" to 12" higher than the POA. This is with my 870 Express 12 gauge, 26" barrel and IC choke, using 3" magnum 00 buck or a 2 3/4" slug.
    A discussion on The High Road about slugs impacting high: click.
    Slugs oft shoot high compared to shot loads
    My bead sighted Mossberg works like Dave says. The "high" POI of slugs wanes away at 75 yds and at 100 yds I have to hold high on the target. My low-recoil Remmington slugs have a graph on the box that shows a ** 5-inch ** drop at 100 yds!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    A real basic and short answer is because the flight path of a slug or bullet is nt a straight line. It archs much like a football pass.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A real basic and short answer is because the flight path of a slug or bullet is nt a straight line. It archs much like a football pass.
    This is correct. So, at 25 yds your slug is still on the rise. What I do is find "point of aim" yardage. This would be the climax of the slug's rise. Now you have determined when the slug starts falling off. You need to practice those yardages shorter or longer so you know how high or low to aim to hit where you want. I'm a bowhunter so its natural to me. Bottom line is practice at those distances you need to be proficient at and remember them when you sight down the barrel.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Ah.....the ballistics of it all. Pretty cool huh?
    Bottom line is practice at those distances you need to be proficient at and remember them when you sight down the barrel.
    +1. Keep aiming at COM, and you may end up taking their head clean off!

I'm having the same problem. I'm shooting slugs about 6" high at 15 yds with my Mossberg 500A with 18" barrel.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    The reason this is sort of surprising to me is that I only have a bead sight on the shotgun. So when I aimed it, I was literally looking straight down the barrel and lining it up with the target. I just did not expect the rise with that type of sight picture.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    The reason this is sort of surprising to me is that I only have a bead sight on the shotgun. So when I aimed it, I was literally looking straight down the barrel and lining it up with the target. I just did not expect the rise with that type of sight picture.

Without a REAR SIGHT you can't AIM - you can only POINT.

This is acceptable for producing shot load "patterns" at close range,
    but you will never get a repeatable group with slugs at more than a few yards.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I'm shooting slugs about 6" high at 15 yds with my Mossberg 500A with 18" barrel.
    Its not a problem, thats whats supposed to happen.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    This is correct. So, at 25 yds your slug is still on the rise. What I do is find "point of aim" yardage. This would be the climax of the slug's rise. Now you have determined when the slug starts falling off. You need to practice those yardages shorter or longer so you know how high or low to aim to hit where you want. I'm a bowhunter so its natural to me. Bottom line is practice at those distances you need to be proficient at and remember them when you sight down the barrel.

_
    Actually this is incorrect. Bullets never actually "rise". When you have a bullet that hits higher than your point of aim it has not risen, it is just that your point of impact and point of aim is lower than the actual line of the bore. The apex of a bullets flight will be no higher than the line of the bore when fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    Actually this is incorrect. Bullets never actually "rise". When you have a bullet that hits higher than your point of aim it has not risen, it is just that your point of impact and point of aim is lower than the actual line of the bore. The apex of a bullets flight will be no higher than the line of the bore when fired.
    I don't think he meant that a shot out of a perfectly horizontal barrel will rise, but i could be wrong.

When sighting in long arms the POA is significantly lower than the original muzzle height, you end up pointing the barrel "up" in order for the ballistic arc of the bullet to result in POI matching POA
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    Well technically you're correct. The theory that a bullet rises is not exactly correct, but, because the line of sight is actually lower than the bullet trajectory, it "appears" to rise at short distances when in all actuality, the bullet is flying flat at first then falling off drastically after a certain yardage. I was trying to explain in easy terms like the arc of a thrown football.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Well technically you're correct. The theory that a bullet rises is not exactly correct, but, because the line of sight is actually lower than the bullet trajectory, it "appears" to rise at short distances when in all actuality, the bullet is flying flat at first then falling off drastically after a certain yardage. I was trying to explain in easy terms like the arc of a thrown football.

_

Once again, reading all of the words proves its worth.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Invest in a 20" slug barrel with rifle sights. Do a little practicing, you'll never miss again.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

If you can mountsights either iron or red dot on shotgun you can adjust POI at range your shooting at otherwise like others have said learn where your shotgun shoots at different ranges.I remember on the PD we were qualifying with the 870 and I watched everybody else shoot and where the slug hit,on my turn I shot at the silhouettes right hip area and scored all 5 COM,gun was shooting right about 4 inches and about a foot high
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links