Hydro-Shok Slugs

This is a discussion on Hydro-Shok Slugs within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; On Federals website statement Tactical® Rifled Slug Standard Tactical Slugs feature Federal's industry-defining, 1-ounce Hydra-Shok® slug. The Hydra-Shok slug excels through standard FBI test protocols, ...

Thread: Hydro-Shok Slugs

Hydro-Shok Slugs

On Federals website statement

Tactical® Rifled Slug
    Standard Tactical Slugs feature Federal's industry-defining, 1-ounce Hydra-Shok® slug. The Hydra-Shok slug excels through standard FBI test protocols, providing dynamic expansion without over-penetration. Blue hull for easy visual identification.
    There seems to be very little information about this round on the web, even though it has been around awhile now, maybe because it is not generally available to the public. I think that in the last ten years or so there have been some dramatic improvements in bullet performance. But the newest high tech one shot Godzilla killer is no always all that they are made out to be, or in anyway better than an old tried and true round. My process when selecting new ammo is avoid the one shot Godzilla killers until they have some history outside of the lab. I try to research it as much as I can tending to trust real world experience more than ballistic tests.

Maybe I am too easily impressed or maybe because I do not know much about shotgun ammo but the idea of hollow point slugs is new to me. It seems to me if Hydro-Shok slugs perform as well Hydro-Shok handgun ammo. They would create nearly fist sized wound channels. That means that they would literally remove a heart or arms and legs with one shot. Not that I am saying I'd ever try to hit an arm or leg. As I said I know there have been some dramatic improvements in bullet performance but that is nothing short of awe inspiring. This test does seem to confirm that is a real possibility. 6 inch diameter wound cavity !?!

Could even give Heartless Criminal a positive meaning

The other thing that I have never even thought possible is the website claim that Hydro-Shok Slugs are accurate out to 100 yards. A 100 yards? With a shot gun? Is that really possible? With an 18 inch barrel? I have always thought of s shotgun as a close range weapon within 25 feet or maybe 50 feet weapon. Maybe it is past time for me to take a course. Any one with any experience with this ammo?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

I have them. They are pretty good. I have not seen the expansion in them like regular Hydro-Shock bullets, however. I have been able to hit a 2x4 at 25 yards with them, so I would say they are pretty accurate.
    -Biker

Senior Moderator
    I am not really worried about expansion that much in my HD slugs. I think hitting someone COM with a 1oz slug will mess up their day even if it doesn't expand.

I will have to consider that the slug will dump more energy as it expands into the BG, so it will have less energy to penetrate walls after it exits the target.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Le 127rs

I got a promo box of slugs with that stock number a couple of years ago and they were sabot slugs. Fired from a rifled barrel, they should hold that level of accuracy just fine. I didn't have a rifled barrel and gave them away. For a smoothbore, I use TruBall from Federal. No difference in the civilian load and the "tactical", BTW.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Rifled slugs are old school in comparison to todays shotgun slugs. Sabot slugs through a rifled barrel are much more accurate, 150+ yards or more. Now granted, how much accuracy does one need in a self defense situation with a slug at point blank range? I just personally feel that the Sabot slugs are a much better projectile than the rifled slugs are, especially for any type of long distance shot. Todays Sabot slugs can take down the largest of America's big game animals. Of course, this is my opinion but after hunting deer with a shotgun for over 35 yrs, I'm pretty well sold on Sabot slugs these days. The Sabot is definitely my first choice for a HD shotgun slug, barred none.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Rifled slugs are old school in comparison to todays shotgun slugs.
    _
    Not out of a smooth-bore, though.

I'd be curious to see what the price is, compared to the Copper Solids, which are excellent performers...

I've had the Hydrashok slugs before. Really, they aren't anything special--a very shallow cavity with a short post (more like a pimple) in the middle. Since most shotgun slugs are made out of fairly soft lead, they'll deform when they hit pretty much anything.

Accuracy at 100 yards, with slugs, is usually pretty good. I know that with a 20", rifle-sighted smoothbore barrel, I can usually group about 4-6" offhand at 100 yards with my Mossberg--I refer to it as "minute of deer". With the 24" scoped & rifled barrel, shooting 3" Rem Copper Solid Sabots, I could make a nice 3-leafed clover shooting supported (prone off my pack).
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Not out of a smooth-bore, though.

I'd be curious to see what the price is, compared to the Copper Solids, which are excellent performers...
    Almost cheaper than my .45 HST at Ammunition to Go $16 for a box of 25

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I've had the Hydrashok slugs before. Really, they aren't anything special--a very shallow cavity with a short post (more like a pimple) in the middle. Since most shotgun slugs are made out of fairly soft lead, they'll deform when they hit pretty much anything.
    Interesting. Most all slugs I have ever shot pretty much stay the same diameter kind of come out as a ball. They do deform but not necessarily expand That seems to be confirmed by this test
    Remington Reduced Recoil 1oz Slug
    and this diagram of a 12 gauge Foster Slug by Dr Martin Fackler

Unlike the test I posted earlier of a Hydro-Shok Slug leaving a permanent 6 inch diameter wound cavity. SIX INCHES. That IS complete heart removal

It also appears from what I am reading that reduced recoil slugs both penetrate and expand better than full power slugs. For reasons I do not quite understand, yet. Have not found any info about the Hydro-Shok Slug and clothing but if I recall correctly one of Hydro-Shoks big selling points was that they did not clog like some hollow points do and expanded well through clothing

I am really stuck on 6 INCH DIAMETER WOUND CAVITY As I have said maybe I am easily impressed but a six inch diameter wound cavity sounds absolutely amazing to me. A genuinely devastating one shot stop appendage removing round. Capable of creating heartless criminals in your home with a simple push of the boom button
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links