What do you prefer, pump or semi-auto shottys?

This is a discussion on What do you prefer, pump or semi-auto shottys? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The title says it all, how do you like your shotgun action and why? I Want to get an idea from the knowledge base here, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you prefer, pump or semi-auto shottys?

What do you prefer, pump or semi-auto shottys?

The title says it all, how do you like your shotgun action and why? I
    Want to get an idea from the knowledge base here, from range experiences, to duty weapons, to "I just like this because......." This isn't so much a 'make/model' preference thread although if you like one make in a pump and another make in semi-auto please expound on that.

Myself I like 'em both. I own one of each and use either one just as effectively as the other.
    My Rem. 1100 (which is 28 years old) was bought for hunting purposes but with it's short barrel installed it's an excellent HD firearm. My 870 is just as good but it's synthetic stock gave it the edge back when I still wanted to duck hunt, but it makes a Great HD longarm as well. I'm just as fast shooting either and just as experienced using either of 'em as well, although I've shot more over the years with the pumps due to that's what we have for duty/watch in the military so that'd be my ultimate choice if I had to make that decision......pump. The only negitive I can say about either is they both have the short magizines because both are used for hunting as well as HD.

What say you?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

I've had both and like both, with no preference. When I decided to have a HD shottie, I went with a good ole' double barrel coach gun. I only have it for the home front with 12ga 00 buck.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The only experience i have in semi-autos is a Rem 1187 premier, which is almost 20 years old. I don't shoot it anywhere near as much as my Moss 500 or Rem 870. If i ever go out and just bring one shotgun its the Rem 870. I feel like i have better control over my pumps than the semi-auto, although it may be the 1187 specifically i don't really like as much.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

I think it sepends on purpose. I shoot a lot of trap, and I prefer my 1100 semi-auto. Since it's a semi, the perceived recoil is much less. This then does add up as quite relief to the shoulder.

I also have an 870 pump, and the recoil on that is significantly higher. Anyway, that might be something to consider.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've had both and like both, with no preference. When I decided to have a HD shottie, I went with a good ole' double barrel coach gun. I only have it for the home front with 12ga 00 buck.
    I'm looking at getting one of those DB coach gun as well, simple and easy, and that's what the wife can learn on and use when I'm deployed and not around. I think it'd be a great HD weapon as well.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I'll pick up an Auto, Know It's an Auto, and still try to pump it after firing. Think I'm the one on Auto, sticking with what I know and that's the pump, old dog I guess.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I really am fond of my Remy 870 pump. Cant see a need for an auto that is harder to clear a jam if that happened.

I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I've never owned an auto shotgun. I don't see the need for myself. Had three shotguns in the past, one single shot and two pumps. I'm going to get my third pump in a few weeks.

I got a pump action. The simple reason is that I would not be able to do quick follow up shots anyway given the recoil.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Administrator
    For clays and hunting I prefer an auto. Nothing beats the swing of a quality light weight auto. My shotgun of choice in this area is a Beretta 391.

For a HD gun, nothing beats the 870 IMO. I have a 1187P too, but if I had to choose one over the other, it would be the 870 for durability and versatility.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have both, the 870 and the 1100. Personally, I prefer the 1100 for HD. The last thing I need, half awake, with an intruder in the house or bedroom, is to fail to pump the gun after the first shot. My 1100 is extremely dependable, never had a jam. I've actually half functioned the slide on my 870 in the midst of a flight of ducks. Now that sucks. I'll stick to my 1100.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I like 'em all. Pump, semi-auto, side by side, over and under, you name it.

If I had to choose only one and get rid of all the rest, I'd keep my Mossberg 500 pump, with the two barrel set. 28" ported with screw in chokes and 24" ported, rifled barrel with Willaims rifle sights. It will do anything I need a shotgun to do, just not as comfortably or with as much pinache as some of the others.

If you know how to run it, a pump or semi-auto will do the job equally well.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

For a SHTF scenario I would prefer pump...(less parts and functions to go wrong). For Fun...SEMI. My first experience with a semi was a Franchi Spas-12. Talk about leaving an impression. What a heavy beast though. Would be nice to get my hands on one of those nice Benelli's M4's though.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    I'm old fashioned and set in my ways. I'll take the PUMP.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

though i haven't shot a semi. i still think i would choose the pump. part of it being the simplicity, something most people can break down and switch out a broken part....... plus that sound as you pump it... a completely unmistakable sound to anyone, good or bad.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links