AR-15 mags--20 rd. vs. 30 rd.

This is a discussion on AR-15 mags--20 rd. vs. 30 rd. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a few 30-rd GI mags, a couple 30-rd PMAGs....but will probably pick-up some 20-rd PMAGs when they become available......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR-15 mags--20 rd. vs. 30 rd.

I have a few 30-rd GI mags, a couple 30-rd PMAGs....but will probably pick-up some 20-rd PMAGs when they become available...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

When I bought the new Bushmaster, I bought all 30 round mags...I only have 8 of them...plenty for HD.
    My neighbor has all kinds of weapons...I've seen hundreds and hundreds of AR-15 mags (boxes and boxes and boxes of them)...if I ever needed any more because of 'homeland' problems, I know I can get plenty...I'll stick with the 30's.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have plenty of both but always find myself using the 20-rnd magazines. As others have said, the 20-rnd magazine is appropriate for prone.

Anyone know of any stick 30 round mags? (straight like the 10s and 20s) Or any straight mag with >20 rounds at all?
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

I recall reading somewhere the AR15 platform was designed around the 20 round magazine. Thats why AR mags are straight and then curved.

GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Personally I use 30's in my carbine and 20's in my rifle. No real reason other than they fit in the cases better that way. Of course before the next ban I will have to score one of those insane 200 round Beta-C mags!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

my friends are distrurbed with the number of 30 round mags i have in neat stacks...but i plan on getting some 20's for the size

Went to the range today actually. Needed to test function for a few of my mags. Took a couple of my 20 rounders and a couple 30's. I have the BR1 Harris bipod and with the 20 rounders I had it in low position with good cheek weld and solid hold on the table. For the 30 rounders I had to extend the bipod to 9" and a somewhat semi-stable position.

I have some 20's, but 30's are better and make up the bulk of my mag supply.

I had a bunch of 30 rounders and five 20 rounders when I had an AR. I kept three 20 rounders loaded for HD, and used the 20's most at the range.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I've got a 20 rounder in my AR right now; for a couple of reasons. The main one is that the gun doesn't fit in my safe with a 30 round mag in. 20 rounds should be enough for most home defense scenarios, and I've to 30 round mags close by just in case.

Though it doesn't matter, I feel that the rifle looks better with a 20 round mag in. Guess it's the the photographer in me. If I had a larger safe, it'd be a 30 round mag in for HD.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    5 round clip for Coyotes
    I also have 10 rounders, 20 and 30. I feel 20's are the optimal one for me. Straight, good for bench/prone, etc.

But I am stocking up on quality 30 rounders just to have and pass on becasue I think they'll be the first ones to be outlawed in the future.

.44mag.com has some good pricing on mags.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links