Want to Jump on the AR-15 Bandwagon - Page 2

Want to Jump on the AR-15 Bandwagon

This is a discussion on Want to Jump on the AR-15 Bandwagon within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I dont know about you, but I found this chart extremely helpful and a little bit of an eye opener...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to Jump on the AR-15 Bandwagon

I dont know about you, but I found this chart extremely helpful

and a little bit of an eye opener
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

What does it mean when there is no "X"
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

BAC
    If the block does not have an "X", the rifle model does not have that feature. The Colt 6920 has an MP tested bolt, so there is an "X" in that block. The Armalite M-15A4C does not have an MP tested bolt, so there is no "X" in that block. There is also a newer version of that chart, and I'm asking the guy who made it if I can post it here. I'll edit this post accordingly later.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    I dont know about you, but I found this chart extremely helpful

and a little bit of an eye opener
    That is a little bit of an eye opener for sure! Following along with the O.P.'s request, jumping on the bandwagon seems to elude to a novice in the field concerned with something affordable. In these days, and the current economy, I don't know of many who would actually be concerned about a lifetime warranty or the harness scale of a bolt, or the rigidity of the barrel when it comes to the basic AR-15. The only thing your chart proves is that there is a large gap for the average Joe citizen looking at an AR-15, and the Top of the Line, everything/never have to worry about anything rifle that seems to be ever increasingly out of his reach on price. Some get deep discounts for rifles bought through LE credentials. You portray the high end of the scale is affordable to everyone, but you're looking at things subjectively. Most of us don't have an extra $1200, nor the benefits and discounts some of you obviously do. This is not a dig in any way toward those that are independently wealthy, or self sufficient that can afford the high end rifles up front. I'm merely pointing out an ever increasing void between those that have, and those that do not. Quality in this case is relative. It's going to be what's affordable, functional, and not intended to withstand use in a military aspect. We need to more down to earth about it while still presenting the facts. That's just my opinion.
    That is a very nice and informative chart BTW.

here is a picture of how i spent my economic stimulus check......
    Attached Images
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

BAC
    The chart is the creation of Rob_S, and is meant as nothing more than a cataloging and comparison tool between features offered by different manufacturers of AR15s. It should not be read to portray anything. It should also be known that most rifles are NOT sold at MSRP; Michael Kassnar at Charles Daly notes that while his rifle is listed in the updated chart at one price, "street price" tends to be about $200 less.

There was a discussion recently in the "Concealed Carry Guns" part of the forum about Hi Point pistols. The pistols are alright, and function, but it doesn't take a lot more to get something that functions a lot better, and can be more readily relied on to work when it's needed. Same applies to rifles. I asked if the rifle would be used for hard-use and home defense, and the original poster said yes. He might never use it for anything harder than ventilating paper, but he wants a rifle that can take hard use. Ask anyone whoís taken or taught carbine courses: there is a list of manufacturers whose rifles consistently fail under hard use, for a variety of reasons. It would be irresponsible of me to offer exactly one of those rifles as a viable option to the original poster, right?

Rob also has an article written here about building a good working AR for less. The ADS route I mentioned would run $1k total. Robís route would run about the same (LMT upper, CMT lower parts kit in your favorite lower, standard charging handle and handguards, CMT upper receiver, LaRue fixed BUIS rear sight, Bravo Company or LMT bolt carrier group, Bravo Company multi-position stock).

WJP9, I realize that thereís a $200 difference between what I suggested and what you gave as your limit, and itís your call whether or not that $200 is worth it. Iím of the opinion it is, but Iím not the one spending your money, either.

-B

Depending on finances you might want to consider building a frankenrifle. You can pick up a stripped lower receiver for about $100. That is the serial numbered part, and if a new ban comes in the date of manufacture of the lower is what determines "pre ban" or "post ban". If they end up banning the manufacture of AR's those lowers could be litterally worth their weight in gold!

With a few basic hand tools and a manual you can finish assembling the lower and add the stock of your choice. Later you can buy complete uppers that you basically drop and pin onto the lower. Or you could buy some more tools and build some uppers too!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

1. Check the barrel make dang sure it says "5.56mm" and not .223.

2. As few of us say there is COLT's and NAC's (Not A Colt).

3. Best to try for before election for price and availability reasons, either way it goes, since the stuff will continue to go up in price anyway. --- Buy AMMO and MAGAZINES too !

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    One recommendation; a Stag AR-15. It's a good balance between price and value. Quality is good. Then go to this web site:

Wholesale AR15 Magazines at 44MAG.com

and order some extra 30 round mags. I see them becoming illegal before the AR-15 itself.

As for the AR-15, I suspect they're going to get harder and harder to find as I believe there's going to be a rush on to get one. Personally, I think if you really want one, now may be the very best time to get on or at least between now and when Obama's been in office 3-6 months. He can't do to much harm right away...

BAC
    With Rob's go-ahead, here's an updated version of the chart and where to find it.

Source: here

There is a Google Document that he made that always has the most current information for when he doesn't have the opportunity to make up new charts. It's easy to navigate - along the bottom is a row of three areas, one to explain features, one to show specs, and one to show comparison.

Again, this is NOT a price sheet (the rifles presented can almost all be found below MSRP) or an attempt to sell anything. It is purely for informational purposes.

DOGOFWAR01 and Gideon both make very good points. Get magazines. Lots. Magazines are consumable items, and without magazines you're left with a very expensive club.

-B

I purchased a Kit and a DPMS lower and built my own in about 2 hours time. Upper comes put together, you just install the lower parts, pistol grip, and stock. Put the upper on it, and your ready to go. Saves you about 150.00 in cost. This is the 6th one I have built over the years.

1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    I purchased a Kit and a DPMS lower and built my own in about 2 hours time. Upper comes put together, you just install the lower parts, pistol grip, and stock. Put the upper on it, and your ready to go. Saves you about 150.00 in cost. This is the 6th one I have built over the years.

That's nice looking...what kit did you use and what was the total project cost before optics? Thanks.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I just joined the AR band wagon last week. I had a Bushmaster lower I had bought ~10yrs ago and my wife let loose the purse strings so I could build a CMP Service target gun. I purchased the Kit from M&A Parts. Their website is informative, and phone support is very helpful. I was sent a complete Rock River Arms upper, w/ a 20" Wilson stainless target barrel, National Match front and rear sights, A2 stock and parts kit, w/ 2 stage NM RRA trigger. Total cost was $765 inc. shipping. This set up is ~$250+ more than a "standard" 16" chrome molly AR. (save more w/o sights)
    As for mags look at 44mag.com. Seem to have good prices and reputation.

So in short you can build a "starter" w/ an A2 (fixed handle) upper for ~$650 or add to it to get the perfect WJP9 Zombie blaster.

If you are afraid to build it yourself, ask around, many will put the lower parts in for free, $20 or a beer.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links