SKS M with Thumbhole ADVICE PLEASE

This is a discussion on SKS M with Thumbhole ADVICE PLEASE within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking at SKS M thumbole stock. NIB Seller wants $550. Everyone is telling me that is too high. Although they seem a little more rare ...

Looking at SKS M thumbole stock. NIB Seller wants $550. Everyone is telling me that is too high. Although they seem a little more rare than AK and made just as nice from my research. Uses same ammo, same mags and milled receiver. What fo you guys think? They are asking $575 up at Gunbroker for these rifles. Many on some of the AK boards claim they like them better than their AK's. Come on guys feedback is needed. I have to make my mind up as I was going to look at this gun tomorrow and it is a 2 hr round trip.
    Attached Images
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

Interesting. I would say that seems awful high for one as well, but there are no more imports. Seems this rifle has been made to accept the standard AK magazines by the looks of it. Looks like the shorter barrel variety as well. Milled receivers in either SKS or AK will run a bit more also. Are they going to throw in that Fusion stock set-up with the deal? Personally, I'd still prefer the AK.

I have seen these at gunshows and that sounds high to me too
    these threads may help you, but if it were me I would just buy
    a nice AK .IE why buy a gun that was made to take AK mags
    when you can have the real thing?
    there are a lot of styles of AKs to buy if you have one already.
    you can have a style for every day of the week if you like.
    Norinco SKS M? [Archive] - THR
    New Norinco SKS M - Gun and Game Forums
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

It may be too high and it may not be. The M model (and D model) that were designed to take AK magazines are less common and the ONLY SKS I would consider using AK magazines with so its up to the market. Assuming you really wanted that feature and that model you might be willing to pay a premium to get it. I don't keep up with the going rate of those two rarish models. They may be up that high now.

It would certainly be too high for a regular SKS Norinco but those are up in the $250-$300 range now

Keep in mind, if you buy it, if you change that thumb hole stock, the whole gun is subject to 922R compliance. I say this because I notice he shows an aftermarket stock with it. That change alone will not quite meet the 10 part rule so do some research. Can be done though. Not that hard to do.

Its not a full AK, its not a full SKS and its in the middle-upper price range for both. Do you really need a collector's piece right now?

Assuming things go badly in November, you'll have made a better investment, in every sense of the word, with a regular AK or SKS and mags, ammo & accessories. Blackmarket or otherwise, that thing is very unlikely to hold the value of what they're asking.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357sig View Post
    Looking at SKS M thumbole stock. NIB Seller wants $550. Everyone is telling me that is too high. Although they seem a little more rare than AK and made just as nice from my research. Uses same ammo, same mags and milled receiver. What fo you guys think? They are asking $575 up at Gunbroker for these rifles. Many on some of the AK boards claim they like them better than their AK's. Come on guys feedback is needed. I have to make my mind up as I was going to look at this gun tomorrow and it is a 2 hr round trip.
    Too High

You can still find Saigas for about $500

AND you can convert it to a pistol grip easily later on.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Ram rod that pic is a representation. Same gun no stock . I am going to meet the guy tomorrow and shoot with him a bunch of our guns. He wants my 357 and my Russian SKS. I dont thinik I want to get rid of my SKS. It's a 1950 Tula He has an L1A1 FAL he might want to get rid of too. He also is intereste in my P220ST Sig and that's not going anywhere. We'll see how it goes
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

Quote Originally Posted by 357sig View Post
    Ram rod that pic is a representation. Same gun no stock . I am going to meet the guy tomorrow and shoot with him a bunch of our guns. He wants my 357 and my Russian SKS. I dont thinik I want to get rid of my SKS. It's a 1950 Tula He has an L1A1 FAL he might want to get rid of too. He also is intereste in my P220ST Sig and that's not going anywhere. We'll see how it goes
    Well, there may be a real good reason this fellow is interested in your purebreds, and willing to part with his halfbreed! If you have a Russian SKS, and a SIG P220ST, then hang on to them in my opinion. And I certainly wouldn't think about trading more than one for this SKS-M. Matter of fact, I wouldn't consider trading anything for it. Like Rob pointed out, this SKS-M is going on hype and the market now. Nothing to gamble your solid holdings on. What you currently have is better in my opinion. If you make a move.....no regrets. May the force be with you.

220 St is the best pistol I have ever shot including my Colt gold cup. SKs is a refurb however, but beautiful
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

Links