When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?

This is a discussion on When do you see yourself deploying a rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Sarge45 Lot's of folks have had that "deep-down gut feel" lately. In my line of work I tell the rookies to learn ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Lot's of folks have had that "deep-down gut feel" lately. In my line of work I tell the rookies to learn about that gut feel and trust it. It won't let you down.
    Also know as the "spidey senses", you have to trust them!
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Most say "civil unrest" and "rioting". I don't think anything could ever happen in this country where you used a long gun to defend yourself and didn't find yourself in jail forthe rest of your life. If someone is close enough to be a threat then a handgun or shotty. But at long range how would you defend tht the threat was life threatening?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Most say "civil unrest" and "rioting". I don't think anything could ever happen in this country where you used a long gun to defend yourself and didn't find yourself in jail forthe rest of your life. If someone is close enough to be a threat then a handgun or shotty. But at long range how would you defend tht the threat was life threatening?
    Nobody said they have to be longe range to be using a rifle (but more than likely we are talking carbines here, not rifles)

And dont be fooled into the notion that one cannot be life threatening at 75-100yds. Not as likely, but it does happen.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think Sarge will back me up when I say that bosses and some officers tend to flip out at the sight of another officer deploying a long gun, much less a citizen. To many it would signal the end of times.

Old Gunner, I spend a lot of time on several forums and that is one of the most legitimate, well reasoned, common sensel selection and intended use of a long gun I have ever seen.

VIP Member
    Look at LA during the Watts riots, or the riots after the Rodney King LEO's trial. In both cases store owners and home owners defended themselves with rifles and shotguns. I don't remember them being charged and tried for doing it, if they were defending themselves. If a mob is coming at you, only a fool is going to let them within handgun range before acting to protect themselves.
    My AK variant will be used to protect myself and family from a mob. I have no intention of taking to the street with it, it will be used from a barricaded location, unless I'm evacuating it. My handguns are for close in fighting and my knives are for hand to hand, if it were to come to that.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have 5 hadnguns (.357, 9mm, .380, .32 acp, 22 rev)
    2 -12 ga shotguns (SxS & Auto)
    2 - 16 ga shotguns (870 and Single shot)
    1 - 30-06 bolt action
    1 - 22 pump
    1 - .177 pellet gun

I don't really see the need for an AR but what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Like many other folks on here even though retired from LE I still have an M4 handy around the house? Since battle rifles, ammo, accessories and training are cottage industries I am interested to know how those who are not LE or MIL envision themselves employing a rifle?

Most people I speak too say there go to for SD is a shotgun or pistol yet every time I open up a gun rag it is full of people attending carbine courses.

With all things defensive the first thing you need to do is look at the threats you are most likely to encounter and how to deal with them based on the tools you are most likely to have at your disposal.

What situation would have to occurr where a citizen could If you live in a gun permissive area this sort of event unfolds they will flood the area with federal police like they did during Katrina and they will not want to hear about the local laws.

Back to the shotgun, how many folks have an AR decked out like they are going to Bagdad but don't even have a light on their shotgun, or any training with any of there guns.

My belief is that keeping a battle rifle in the house feels intrinsically American and I am good with that and understand. But a dose of reality is in order. Your thoughts- George
    I own two Russian SKS carbines (one a paratrooper model with folding stock and several 30rd. mags.) and one 30.30 Win. My rifles are used to hunt with, and also exist in my home for SD. They are not my primary SD tool, but are for a time when this country's government has collapsed, and there are many roaming the streets and country side, looking to take what someone else has. I live in the country, and a hand gun just wouldn't work at all at some of the ranges I might would have to shoot at, in order to protect what is mine. I simply can not forsee any reason for me to ever "strap on his chest ring and throw his M4 or AK over his shoulder and walk down the street"?
    The only time my rifles leave the house is to hunt, or sometimes I take them with me when I go visit my brother. We like to get out and plink a lot. As far as training goes, I have never taken a course in any disipline, rifle, shotgun, or handgun. I have hunted all of my life, and practice several times a week right here at home on my own range.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, 1911A1SA, five cases of Greek 30-06 in enbloc clips, 30 15rd mags 110grSP, 12 mags 230gr HST. Somewhere in between a 590A1 with lots of buck and slugs.

BAC
    I can point you to at least three cases of rifles being used in self defense in the last three months, all of them cleared as justifiable homicides, all of them close-range. The LA riots previously mentioned are another example. Katrina-aftermath (yes, there were folks whose rifles weren't taken who did little "community patrols") is yet another example.

-B

The handgun is another appendage - what I have, always. Better than kicking and biting. (Not to deride the handgun - if it wasn't so effective, it wouldn't be so popular!)
    My coachgun is the most likely to answer the door if I'm "nervous," or to keep me company if a breaking window wakes me up. Even in low-light, or snap-shooting from the hip, it gives me the best advantage (least dis-advantage?) - whether real or perceived, I'll take what I can get to help me feel more secure. (It's also the Impact Weapon from Hell )
    If SHTF and I have to evacuate, or the local Biker Zombies (tm) come out in force, or civil unrest engulfs my neighborhood, the AK and some 30-rounders, &/or the SKS plus striper-clips, &/or even the 10/22 with a couple bricks & hi-cap mags are coming with me. My thought suddenly shifts to Volume of Fire more than Power. The difference in ammo bulk/weight, and the round capacity take on a greater importance at that point.
    FWIW.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

I would employ a rifle when there are multiple people to contend with.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    On the job, I deploy my AR-15 carbine EVERY TIME there's a gun call.

....because only a fool INTENTIONALLY brings a handgun to a gunfight.

Off the job, I really don't see it happening, where I live. (unless there are zombies, of course)

Senior Moderator
    On the job, I deploy my AR-15 carbine EVERY TIME there's a gun call.

....because only a fool INTENTIONALLY brings a handgun to a gunfight.
    Amen to that.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm not going to go crazy and build a bunker and stockpile gobs of ammo and be hunkered down waiting for the fall of civilization....on the other hand, I've seen some pretty ugly video footage of riots in LA and other places. I keep both a shotgun and an AR and a few mags around just in case. It's amazing what damage a large number of people can do once the mob mentality takes over. I don't forsee strapping on a chest rig and walking around town, but I certainly would defend my home and business if necessary and an AR would probably be one of the better tools for that job. Plus, owning it pisses off the left. I've done some training with both the AR and the shotgun and, with my current skills, would be better off with the AR.

The only rifle I have is a .22, it's the only weapon my wife will shoot.... The 12 gauge is too powerful, and her wrists aren't strong enough to handle the pistol. Although she acknowledges that in an emergency she will do whatever she has to do to protect the kids.
    CW

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links