When do you see yourself deploying a rifle? - Page 3

When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?

This is a discussion on When do you see yourself deploying a rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My AR would really only see action if I needed to protect from a distance against some type of invasion, but, if thats the case, ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My AR would really only see action if I needed to protect from a distance against some type of invasion, but, if thats the case, I will already be hunkered down in the boonies somewhere. Sorta like the movie Red Dawn. Otherwise, my shotguns and handguns would defend in CQB's.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Like many other folks on here even though retired from LE I still have an M4 handy around the house? Since battle rifles, ammo, accessories and training are cottage industries I am interested to know how those who are not LE or MIL envision themselves employing a rifle?

Most people I speak too say there go to for SD is a shotgun or pistol yet every time I open up a gun rag it is full of people attending carbine courses.

With all things defensive the first thing you need to do is look at the threats you are most likely to encounter and how to deal with them based on the tools you are most likely to have at your disposal.

What situation would have to occurr where a citizen could strap on his chest ring and throw his M4 or AK over his shoulder and walk down the street? If you live in a gun permissive area this sort of event unfolds they will flood the area with federal police like they did during Katrina and they will not want to hear about the local laws.

Back to the shotgun, how many folks have an AR decked out like they are going to Bagdad but don't even have a light on their shotgun, or any training with any of there guns.

My belief is that keeping a battle rifle in the house feels intrinsically American and I am good with that and understand. But a dose of reality is in order. Your thoughts- George
    What's the difference between a .223 rifle and a shotgun in the home? Not much, except one has a lot of recoil and a lot of lead, and the other uses a little recoil and lead at a higher pace of fire with more accuracy.

Here's my question though.

What situation would LEO or military have to use a M4 that a civilian wouldn't?
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Civilians probably don't do many active shooter responses, drug busts, felony stops, or much MOUT work.

-B

Only thing I can think of is if during home invasion etc. BG's escape take cover and start shooting into my residence where I need more accurate firepower to suppress their fire and take them out.Then there was a situation where a friend of mine witnessed a guy back from Iraq with PTSD was on his front porch with his kids running around pointing a pistol at them and they were screaming don't shoot us daddy,he called 911 and as the first car pulled up the guy committed suicide
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I recall the Koreans during the Rodney King riots
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Civilians probably don't do many active shooter responses, drug busts, felony stops, or much MOUT work.

-B

And how much of that couldn't be accomplished with a shotgun?

You missed my point entirely, sorry about that.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    What situation would have to occurr where a citizen could strap on his chest ring and throw his M4 or AK over his shoulder and walk down the street? If you live in a gun permissive area this sort of event unfolds they will flood the area with federal police like they did during Katrina and they will not want to hear about the local laws.
    Riots. Civil insurrections. Natural disasters where there are no LEO's.

I would use my AK and M4 to ward off looters much like the Korean shop owners did in the L.A. riots. I also think there is a big difference between a big city (New Orleans) and small town rural America. I honestly, and whole heatedly believe if there was ever a gun grab in rural America the military and/or local LEO's would not do it. There is a big difference in attitude between rural and urban America towards guns, and I believe this includes LEO's attitudes too.

As of right now a Mossberg 835 ultimag is my "go to" gun if things seem amiss. But this is only because, I'm am currently in an apartment (unwillingly...can't wait to go home!) I brought only the essentials with me into my urban nightmare. My Kel-Tec P-F9, my Mossberg, and my Win. model 94

I'm a country boy, born and raised.

anyway, my point is that at this time a rifle is out of the question.

But, at my REAL home, I would reach for my Model 94 first (don't own an AR or AK...yet) Mostly because I routinely have to deal with pests of the four legged kind. I also like the abilty to have more accuracy to take out threats to my dogs (read: coyotes) even if they are close to each other.
    And, if it happened to be a two-legged pest that i had to deal with, it would be hard to become outgunned. I also have no children (yet) and my wife would be holed up behind the bed with her shotgun (yes...HERS)

As soon as I get an AR It will replace my Win. in this role.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Zombie hoards of course.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by rmxer85 View Post
    But, at my REAL home, I would reach for my Model 94 first (don't own an AR or AK...yet)
    Better get on that quick. I've been buying up stuff that could be banned again if Obama gets in. I just got my M4A1 three days ago, and plan to get an SKS here soon too... just saying, if he gets in, expect prices to rise on all "assault weapons".

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Better get on that quick. I've been buying up stuff that could be banned again if Obama gets in. I just got my M4A1 three days ago, and plan to get an SKS here soon too... just saying, if he gets in, expect prices to rise on all "assault weapons".
    You handing out loans?

seriously though as soon as i can get the cash, hello there mr. AR
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rmxer85 View Post
    You handing out loans?

seriously though as soon as i can get the cash, hello there mr. AR
    Lol... loans no... but I'm sure you can put guns on layaway at your FFL.

What's the difference between a .223 rifle and a shotgun in the home? Not much, except one has a lot of recoil and a lot of lead, and the other uses a little recoil and lead at a higher pace of fire with more accuracy.

Here's my question though.

My rule of thumb Shotgun is for inside the AR it for anything past he front porch. Though I am beginning to see my shotgun as a 50 yard weapon, farther is I make the commitment to train.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Senior Moderator
    You ought to be able to go 100 with slugs. The average 1 OZ slug has a 10" drop at 100 yards and a slug is tough any way you slice it.

You ought to see what they do to deer.Nasty, very nasty....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

BAC
    And how much of that couldn't be accomplished with a shotgun?

You missed my point entirely, sorry about that.
    Oh. Yeah, I missed that point entirely, and still don't quite get what you're trying to ask. It's probably better asked of those men and women in uniform doing these jobs. I can say, though, that I've heard several occasions where officers called to address active shooter situations are told by dispatch "this is a job for rifles; guys with handguns and shotguns, hang back". Only one of those had anything to do with distance.

It isn't that a shotgun can't do a job, but that sometimes the rifle is the better tool for the job. Did I answer your question or did I still swing and miss?

-B

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links