When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?

This is a discussion on When do you see yourself deploying a rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HotGuns You ought to be able to go 100 with slugs. The average 1 OZ slug has a 10" drop at 100 ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You ought to be able to go 100 with slugs. The average 1 OZ slug has a 10" drop at 100 yards and a slug is tough any way you slice it.
    Not out of a shotgun with a 14.5"bbl such as the M4 has. Our duty shotties have 14" bbls, and they aren't worth a crap with slugs past 50 (though we shoot them for "familiarization" at 75...I had to offset-aim three lanes to hit paper). Then, of course, there is the fact that this shotgun - close in size to the M4 - holds four rounds in the mag, is slow to reload, had MUCH more recoil, can't make precision shots at range, and so on and so on... It just isn't a good trade off IMO.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You ought to be able to go 100 with slugs. The average 1 OZ slug has a 10" drop at 100 yards and a slug is tough any way you slice it.

You ought to see what they do to deer.Nasty, very nasty....
    Where were you when I asked about those Hydro Shok Slugs. I have always thought of shotguns as close range weapons and only recently thought of using one at those ranges. Amazing that I can get to be those old and be so ignorant
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

The way I see it is past 50 yards it is going to be very hard to justify self-defense. I know most are talking unusual situations but they are going to be very unusual.

In a word: Anarchy
    If and when the government goes defunct and the masses uprise against each other. I don't want to have to rely on a stick to protect what's left of my world.
    Who knows if it will ever happen, the events of today are no different than they were 80, 67, 50, 40, & 20 years ago. We just don't seem to learn from history. My option is to protect and survive, the distance that I engage from will determine the weapon selection.

Mass civil riots when Obama gets defeated next Tuesday? I live outside of Detroit. The police forces here are preparing for this situation. If the police are concerned, the average Joe should be prepared as well.

Senior Moderator
    An M1 carbine is my main HD long gun and I would use it in most cases. Now if I was patroling the neighborhood, I would carry my FAL.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Senior Moderator
    My 5.56 carbine is my go-to gun for things that go bump in the night. I can't really see patrolling the streets with it as questioned in the opening post, though.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

OD*
    When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?
    Possibly as early as November 4.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

SOCOM 16 is my HD long gun. Plenty of mags and ammo on hand. Glock 36 for up close work.

I currently have two AR's. My first is a Bushy carbine. My "Charles Schumer Special". I bought it the day they were voting on the AWB. My second is an H-Bar Match. Being just west of Houston I got off easy when Ike hit. East of the city most of the Bolivar peninsula is still without power and there are still over one hundred missing. Civilization still hasn't really returned there.
    Next summer the storm might not turn east at the last minute, and it might be more than a category two when it makes landfall.
    I do not live in an evacuation zone. I am supposed to shelter in place. It can get ugly real quick when it is ninety five degrees, ninety percent humidity, no one has electricity, and with no electricity the gas pumps don't work. Gas pumps don't work, once you use your stockpile, your generator is out.
    Even if you don't use up your stockpile, those that have used theirs might decide to help themselves to yours. Outside the house the H-Bar can hold the perimeter. If things get to the point that we decide to drive out, the carbine would be the primary in the truck.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine1856 View Post
    Mass civil riots when Obama gets defeated next Tuesday? I live outside of Detroit. The police forces here are preparing for this situation. If the police are concerned, the average Joe should be prepared as well.
    Even if he wins! Think of previous rioting in cities even when that city's sports team WINS. From what I am hearing, the police in many areas are expecting riots regardless of the outcome of the election. (Wolverine, I do share your optimism of an Obama defeat, however.)

As for my use of a carbine, my house is about 60 feet deep, from front door to back door. I expect that I might have to defend myself and mine with a shot traveling the full length of the house. For this, a 5.56 carbine is just the tool. (By the way, I just bought a rifle for precisely this kind of situation.) Also, if riots break out, I want to be able to dispatch an arsonist or anyone else trying to destroy my house from outside (the Korean store owners in LA after the Rodney King verdict come to mind, as has been previously mentioned).

I may have to deploy rifle at any time, due to posibility of rabid animals. As to walking down the street with chest pack and rifle, only if the country is has gone to full Anarchy. Then I would stay at home to protect my space.

Then I would stay at home to protect my space.
    your gonna stay home to protect myspace? What about this website? I kidd, I kidd. I also just built my first AR for 2 reasons. 1 obama loses and they riot. 2. He wins, assault weapons get banned then they riot because no one can afford food or gas and everyone loses there job because of his "tax breaks"

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Possibly as early as November 4.
    LMAO

hopefully not though...
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links