When do you see yourself deploying a rifle? - Page 5

When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?

This is a discussion on When do you see yourself deploying a rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I will add that I just ordered my second AR. It just so happens that my wife showed interest in my AR last night, ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?

Well, I will add that I just ordered my second AR. It just so happens that my wife showed interest in my AR last night, and if history repeats itself (like we know it always does) she will get that one. She already got my 19, my first P32 and now probably my AR. Of course I replaced all of the above with multiple multiples, so I can't complain. As far as when will I implement it? If ANY civil unrest comes about, people better think twice about coming down our country road. We still carry a pistol, shotgun, rifle, and most everybody out here has at least one four wheel drive. Nobody questions you walking down the road with a gun on, more they question, where is your gun when they don't see it. I wouldn't go into town like that, but if civil unrest happens, I won't be going into town unless it is to get friends or family out. Then it will be stealthy, with some armament in case something bad happens.

I have some plans to go into play if it gets really bad.

My home defense firearm is an M4gery. I live out in the boonies and want the ability to reach out and touch. I have used mine 3x in the last 3 years to shoot 2 coyotes and a badger - all in standoffs with the family dog at fairly decent ranges (100 - 150 yrds). Being x-military I am more than comfortable in the handling....I do have a handgun bedside for the immediate investigation until I can get to the long gun.

As for the "civil unrest" scenario, ask some of the survivors of Katrina how long it was before the federal's "flooded the area". There were plenty of places on their own for a significant amount of time. Again I live in the boonies and if there were wide spread unrest I would use the M4gry for outdoor patrols and the M1A for area-interdiction (there are only two roads into/out-of our neighborhood and I can cover both from second floor windows in my house).

My Model 70 '06 launches a 150gr. Sierra GK at about 2800 fps and that's enough to reach out and touch a rioter in excess of 200yard, even with my 65 year old eyes!! I hope it never comes to that but a serious breakdown of civil order can result in the destruction of a lot of property and in the deaths of a lot of people, I plan on being one of the survivors.

Rifle Works For This Country Boy

I, too, see the breaking out of my AK as a bad--very bad--situation. But that's why I bought it. I have the 20gauge with buck and the .45 Kimber for home defense. As I live 15 miles from the main road, I would consider any strange vehicle(s) pulling up to my property as "AK meat". Not knowing if said vehicle(s) carried a little old lost landowner or a handful of down-and-out thugs, I'll be conservative and sling on the AK, grab the sneaky bag and approach them on an oblique angle from the house. The .45 is IWB at all times.

I live on 40 acres and with no full-time neighbors it's a free-fire zone for three+ miles. [The wife gets the 10/22 with 25-round mags for her "baby AK".]
    P.S. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is a light on one's shotgun/carbine/pistol tactically advisable? I have Mepro tritiums on my Kimber and they are VERY tactical.
    Last edited by Gadfly; October 31st, 2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: add'l thoughts
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

I adhere to the old adage "it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

My .45 is with me at all times, if the need arises and I have to open the tool box I have what it takes to get the job done.

If it comes to the point I have break out the FAL it is beyond the point of caring what others think about it.
    YMMV

Unfortunatly I have one of those "marching off to Bagdad" AR's. Do I have a few to many things on my rifle, yeah probably, but it is a SHTF TEOTWAWKI item. Like may others who have posted it is probably the last thing I would grab out of the safe, save for zombies, aliens, martial law, race war type situation. The sidearm for me will always be the first deployed in a home defense situation because I have the most training and trigger time with handguns. I've just recently began non sactioned 3gun competitions for more shotgun and rifle training.

"In time of plenty, prepare for time of need." Dr. Michael Savage
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Possibly as early as November 4.
    Good answer!

The only time I would deploy a rifle is if the country plunged into Anarchy. Yes, I would still keep my pistol with me, but the AR would become my primary weapon. I would stay at home and protect my family only leaving if I absolutely had to find food
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Well.... No rifle deployment this year.

wpk
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Well.... No rifle deployment this year.
    Awww...don't feel bad, there's always 2012.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Quote Originally Posted by wpk View Post
    Awww...don't feel bad, there's always 2012.
    Yup. Never know what tomorrow brings.

living in the country with lots of open area is reason enough to have a riffle or 4

and the fact that I hunt too helps me justify having riffles

although none of mine are decked out with lights and such but i do however have some great low light scopes that work in moon light

I am removing my post. Changed mind on commenting on it
    Last edited by mi2az; November 15th, 2008 at 08:47 PM.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I have 5 hadnguns (.357, 9mm, .380, .32 acp, 22 rev)
    2 -12 ga shotguns (SxS & Auto)
    2 - 16 ga shotguns (870 and Single shot)
    1 - 30-06 bolt action
    1 - 22 pump
    1 - .177 pellet gun

I don't really see the need for an AR but what do I know.
    AGREED 100%, For the thoughts of having a rifle "to reach out and touch someone" then a 30-06 type (with a good scope) rifle is the only way to go. To be honest I laughed when I read some of these posts... zombies????
    You have got to be kidding....
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yzcrasher View Post
    AGREED 100%, For the thoughts of having a rifle "to reach out and touch someone" then a 30-06 type (with a good scope) rifle is the only way to go. To be honest I laughed when I read some of these posts... zombies????
    I think that when people say zombies they really mean looters and/or an angry mob. At least, I HOPE that's what they mean

Or maybe it's just a catch-all for unforeseen situations.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by yzcrasher View Post
    To be honest I laughed when I read some of these posts... zombies????
    hey man you never know

was even thinking about buying one of those Mila Jovovich's

anyway most of your thirty cal. from WWII and on are a very good gun for long range and if I need to go any farther than my .303 or 7.62X54 will reach that's when the 45-70 comes into hand

also as far as the zombies go........

YouTube - Purgatory IronWorks: Public Service Announcement

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links