When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?

This is a discussion on When do you see yourself deploying a rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not one to argue the finer points but... the .303 or the 7.62 will shoot much further than the .45-70 which has a trajectory like ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?

Senior Moderator
    Not one to argue the finer points but...
    the .303 or the 7.62 will shoot much further than the .45-70 which has a trajectory like a rainbow.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

^the 45-70 is a 1000 yard riffle believe it or not

the .303 and 7.62X54 may shoot staighter but not nesassarily farther and the 45-70 has a much heavier bullet and is much less affected by wind

it is more or less knowing what your firearm will do at great distances

Ok, I really did watch the video...However, when he got to"bertha" I had enough...

I will note that you'll notice the lack of an AR rifle.... I shot one for 5 years and that was enough for me. 30-06 is my baby....

To quote a movie...."If the time comes I really need one of those, there will be plenty laying around".
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Senior Moderator
    Sure, if the rifle is set up for it.

Do you have one set up for it? A Sharps or something of that nature?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

^hehe I have a long range 45-70 that is all you need to know
    I trust it to shoot farther than both my Enfield (.303) and my PSL (7.62X54)

You never know what can happen. Iran is still talking about vaporizing Israel, while saying that nuclear material they are trying to produce is for peaceful means.

Don't be surprised if the US or Israel destroys Iran's capabilities at producing nuclear weapons. In order to do that, US or Israel would have to use small nuclear bunker bombs to reach their physicality's underground.

That will upset the flow of oil and have rapid rise in energy. It would make $4/gal of gas look like a deal. People will be unemployed, shortages would occur and then anarchy
    Last edited by mi2az; November 15th, 2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: a
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

The way the economy is getting it wouldn't hurt to buy a tank!!

Quote Originally Posted by yzcrasher View Post

Ok, I really did watch the video...However, when he got to"bertha" I had enough...

I will note that you'll notice the lack of an AR rifle.... I shot one for 5 years and that was enough for me. 30-06 is my baby....

To quote a movie...."If the time comes I really need one of those, there will be plenty laying around".
    you missed the best part then and the fact that he is missing an AR is no big deal there are far better semi-auto and auto riffle platforms out there

I do like AR-10's not a fan of the AR-15 though

Senior Moderator
    ^hehe I have a long range 45-70 that is all you need to know
    are you using optics or open sights?

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I can't see a need in my lifetime to have to deploy a long weapon. Althought I think we're heading down the wrong road in America, i believe we're still far enough away from any melt down that I'll never had a need.

Also, I believe it it comes to that, location is going to the most important thing. Having land out in the boonies where you can dig in and defend would be an advantage. Living in a suburb would have you at odds with law enforcement and you won't prevail against that.

So in my life time it's home defense or concealed carry. I did buy an AR because I always wanted one (I'm retired military and find it nastalgic) and I wanted to be able to pass it down to my children but I can't ever imagine deploying it and it's too much for in the house.

I am considering a CX4 Storm. It's 9mm and super short. You could easily conceal it under a decent coat and as a carbine, it's short enough because of it's design that I think it would be an outstanding home defense weapon. With a regular power 9mm jhp you have a good round and good capacity but with the advantage of long arm sighting.

Honestly, if the proverbial end of the world comes, having a few long guns and several thousand rounds of ammo isn't going to do a lot for us

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    are you using optics or open sights?
    ^I am actually using optics not quite sticking to the old fashion

VIP Member

Location, Location, Location

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post

Also, I believe it it comes to that, location is going to the most important thing. Having land out in the boonies where you can dig in and defend would be an advantage.
    Spot on. And the location had better be at least 100-150 miles from a population center, or you'll be quickly overrun. There aren't that many places left that fit that description.

I doubt that "survival" by force of arms or otherwise would be possible after a true shtf scenario. Maybe in far West Texas somewhere, or the boonies of Northern MN, Dakota somewhere; but you'd have to get pretty far from any city with more than 100,000 people to keep from being overwhelmed by the desperate.

Are they still selling old missile silos in Kansas?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by older gunner View Post
    I'm too old now to hunt, so I had gotten rid of my long guns awhile back. Then when Katrina hit, I was reminded that in times of civil disorders or rioting, I would not be very effective in keeping the jackals at bay with only my handguns, especially as my old eyes don't see as good. I needed something to work well out to at least 50 yards, and probably as far out as 100 yards on occasion.

When Winchester announced they were no longer going to produce rifles, I bought an 1894 lever action in .357 mag. This gave me a good hard hitting cartridge in an easy to use action, and I got to keep a little bit of western history to boot. I chose .357 because I had about 500 rounds of the ammo already. The .357 out of a 20" barrel at 50 to 100 yards hits almost as hard as a .30-30.

I feel I'll be well served with this if the need arises.
    Either great minds think alike, or we are equally misguided.

I recently picked up a Marlin 1894 in .357 mag, and put a second on layaway. While I already had lever rifles in .308, I wanted at least one .357 lever for largely the same reasons as you. While I still wear a big-city police badge, I am in the autumn of my career, and am looking to practical weapons for the time when my badge will be on a wooden plaque.

FWIW, I just traded an M4-gery for a high-end 870 shotgun. I already had a nice 870P, but decided one 870 was not enough, and the new one has a ghost-ring set-up to better shoot slugs.

Complete civil unrest. If the US were to be invaded or something along those lines. I have a mulitple shotguns and pistols for other "problems" I hope to heck that I never have to break out the AR in defense. But, it's fun as all get out to plink with!!
    God Bless America!!

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    but you'd have to get pretty far from any city with more than 100,000 people to keep from being overwhelmed by the desperate.
    I think 250 miles, and 60 miles from the nearest interstate, probably qualifies.....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links