When do you see yourself deploying a rifle? - Page 7

When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?

This is a discussion on When do you see yourself deploying a rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Spot on. And the location had better be at least 100-150 miles from a population center, or you'll be quickly overrun. I'm not so sure ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Sponsor
    Spot on. And the location had better be at least 100-150 miles from a population center, or you'll be quickly overrun.

I'm not so sure that's correct. I can hike up into the Superstition Mountains off Peralta trail head from 3-4 miles and doubt there'll be many up in that area at all nearing Weavers Needle. Go off trail just 1 mile in any direction from there, and you'll likely not be found for a decade or more. We search for people who move off trail in that area and they aren't found for months sometimes with search parties looking for them.

Head up just 8 miles off a main road in Superior, Az, and you'd be back in time 120 years ago. Very few would make it to that valley on foot, and the only road that moves into the area [ the 120 years old mining road ] can be covered with ease by one man on a high powered rifle. Take the old road out 4 miles from the valley [ the old Silver King Mine sits there ] and you might get a few hardy stragglers up that far, but you won't be seeing masses of people moving that far into the wilderness.

Out here, people die just 4 miles from the main roads. Few will have the willpower or fortitude to get even that far into the wilderness, and 4 miles from a road out here in some areas is very much a hard time to survive, let alone move into.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

After carrying a military rifle as a primary defense weapon (30 years+ AD in USMC) I now find myself living in an area where I have many friendly neighbors living very close to me. If I were to open up with an AR in my area, I would be a more severe threat to the good people than any terrorist probably would be. I am an excellent shot, but Semi Auto Rifles turn into hoses when the SHTF. ( A whole lot of personal experience on this one, trust me!) For my current life style, the 12 gauge is the weapon of choice. I can take out close up BGs but I won't take out half of my church congregation in the process. Now if I lived more out in the country or out West somewhere, I would most assuredly consider an AR.

Actually my TO weapon was a Winchester Model 70 for the most combat active part of my career and I would probably reach for my Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06 if I had to deal with targets at a distance.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Unfortunately for many living in the People's Republic of New York the issue isn't so much a choice of deploying a pistol versus a rifle but rather not having a choice.

I own both, with a handgun being my main SD weapon. As others have stated my decision to deploy a rifle instead of a pistol would be a situation of serious civilian unrest where you might be facing a mob (not so far fetch in the Metro NY area if the economy continues to tank).

However many New Yorkers, given the draconian obstacles the powers that be have put in place to get a CCW, have made the decision to go the relatively easy route of purchasing a rifle or shotgun for personal SD.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I live in a hurricane zone, and the local utility usually takes a few days to weeks to restore power after one hits. All the houses around here are cinderblock or poured concrete walls. So depending on where I am at in the house or what conditions are in the neighborhood, I can see grabbing a carbine (don't own any shotguns - yet).

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Spot on. And the location had better be at least 100-150 miles from a population center, or you'll be quickly overrun.

I'm not so sure that's correct. I can hike up into the Superstition Mountains off Peralta trail head from 3-4 miles and doubt there'll be many up in that area at all nearing Weavers Needle. Go off trail just 1 mile in any direction from there, and you'll likely not be found for a decade or more. We search for people who move off trail in that area and they aren't found for months sometimes with search parties looking for them.

Head up just 8 miles off a main road in Superior, Az, and you'd be back in time 120 years ago. Very few would make it to that valley on foot, and the only road that moves into the area [ the 120 years old mining road ] can be covered with ease by one man on a high powered rifle. Take the old road out 4 miles from the valley [ the old Silver King Mine sits there ] and you might get a few hardy stragglers up that far, but you won't be seeing masses of people moving that far into the wilderness.
    Its not that hard to hide out in the desert. The superstition area has plenty of good places to hide out in. Any of which you will be overlooking the Phoenix area. If you follow Bloody Basin RD going east off of I17, there are quite a bit of places in there as well. A few years back, a friend and I followed it coming of of I17 all they way back to Cave Creek. We were stopped about half way through by a ranger and he said that we shouldn't go any further since it got really rough and dangerous. We were in a truck more than capable of handing rough terrain, so we ignored his warning....made it through just fine. I think that area would be perfect to hide out in.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?
    Two situations come to mind.
    1. In response to an armed home invasion in the middle of the night. One that happens when we are all up I will resort to using what I have on me at the moment which will be the Glock 23 as it always is on my right hip. Just as it is right now.

2. In a SHTF type of scenario where civil unrest has broken out or, worst cast scenario, the U.S. has been invada and I would be part of a civilian insurgency.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    In a general sense, owning and carrying firearms allows one to be prepared for the unexpected. We can predict threats (robbery, mugging, home invasion, viscous dog, riot...) but we certainly cannot know everything we are going to encounter. It could be something we haven't thought of or trained for.

If a tough situation were to present itself, there is no substitute for having the right weapon available quickly. I would define quickly as seconds for a handgun or one minute to deploy a long gun.

We don't know what the future will bring and once a bad situation has started, it is too late to obtain and be competent with a carbine or rifle.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links