When do you see yourself deploying a rifle?

This is a discussion on When do you see yourself deploying a rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Like many other folks on here even though retired from LE I still have an M4 handy around the house? Since battle rifles, ammo, accessories ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Like many other folks on here even though retired from LE I still have an M4 handy around the house? Since battle rifles, ammo, accessories and training are cottage industries I am interested to know how those who are not LE or MIL envision themselves employing a rifle?

Most people I speak too say there go to for SD is a shotgun or pistol yet every time I open up a gun rag it is full of people attending carbine courses.

With all things defensive the first thing you need to do is look at the threats you are most likely to encounter and how to deal with them based on the tools you are most likely to have at your disposal.

What situation would have to occurr where a citizen could strap on his chest ring and throw his M4 or AK over his shoulder and walk down the street? If you live in a gun permissive area this sort of event unfolds they will flood the area with federal police like they did during Katrina and they will not want to hear about the local laws.

Back to the shotgun, how many folks have an AR decked out like they are going to Bagdad but don't even have a light on their shotgun, or any training with any of there guns.

My belief is that keeping a battle rifle in the house feels intrinsically American and I am good with that and understand. But a dose of reality is in order. Your thoughts- George

I have an AR, but only foresee using it for a huge civil unrest...mobs roaming the streets (see Argentina 2001). I have a coach gun for HD, and plenty of pistola's for other emergencies, the the AR will be used to reach out and 'touch' someone assuming that the subdivision is 'free game'...hopefully, that will never happen...but l'm prepared.

Stay armed...a man must know his limitations...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Zombies or riots in the street where volume of fire is needed then the battle rifle/carbine is called for.

For most home use, the good old SXS or pump will make someone very well.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Total civil unrest, defend what is rightfully mine from large crowds. I currently don't own a shotgun so my AR and AK are my only weapons for large groups of desperate individuals.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

In combat, a pistol's purpose is for backup and to 'fight' back to a long gun.

For HD/SD it works kinda the same way, and kinda in reverse. 'Major' civil unrest, zombies, etc.....the pistol gets you to your shotty. The shotty works until mass of aimed fire and the need to reach out and touch the BG's becomes necessary for survival.

Otherwise it for sporting use and, well, they are just SO much fun to shoot!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sponsor
    What situation would have to occurr where a citizen could strap on his chest ring and throw his M4 or AK over his shoulder and walk down the street?

Well, New Orleans would have been a good example, but it didn't happen there. It would therefore stand to reason it would have to be something on the magnitude of order times 20 to even think about being in that position to walk down main street USA with a shouldered long arm of any kind.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Brownie, you are picking up what I am putting down. But I had no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    Total civil unrest, defend what is rightfully mine from large crowds. I currently don't own a shotgun so my AR and AK are my only weapons for large groups of desperate individuals.
    This pretty much fits in with my thinking. I am getting a shotgun soon, but the AR or AK with the generic FMJ loads should also be able to penetrate most automobiles that may be used in a 'Mad Max' sort of way to infiltrate your established perimeter. Large crowds demand hi capacity magazines as well. Zombies don't always realize the fact that a fellow zombie has fallen beside them from what's coming at them. Save the pistols for the close calls and the ones who get by the first wave. And most importantly, don't forget, when things get to the point you know you'll never see tomorrow......save one for yourself. Sure beats getting hacked up by the zombies and watching yourself fall to pieces. There will be no POW's.

Senior Moderator
    When the dollar collapses, people lose their fortunes and the average person is all of a sudden desitute, when the SHTF that everyone seems to know in their gut that is coming, then will be the time to have your rifle close.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Well , since I camp out in the boonies a fair amount my AR gets to come along as well as a pistol or 2.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

i have resisted buying a battle type rifle - AR or AK - because i didn't see the practical need for one. my excuse would have to be, honestly, i just think they're cool. i think for home defense, especially in an apartment, there are better choices, especially since i have no real training with them. i trust myself more with my shotgun or handgun.

i think the only time i actually would use a rifle for defense would be in a disaster type situation, where the system had been interrupted, a la 'Jericho', and i had to rely on myself to keep my family, and my neighbors, safe. in that case, my brother owns a few SKS' we can use.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Well , since I camp out in the boonies a fair amount my AR gets to come along as well as a pistol or 2.
    Exactly! What about if and when you "bug out"? Best take that rifle and ammo! Hunting game without one? Best learn how to trap or run really fast and tackle it.

Administrator
    I just plan on parading around looking cool with my rifle when the zombies come.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I'm too old now to hunt, so I had gotten rid of my long guns awhile back. Then when Katrina hit, I was reminded that in times of civil disorders or rioting, I would not be very effective in keeping the jackals at bay with only my handguns, especially as my old eyes don't see as good. I needed something to work well out to at least 50 yards, and probably as far out as 100 yards on occasion.

When Winchester announced they were no longer going to produce rifles, I bought an 1894 lever action in .357 mag. This gave me a good hard hitting cartridge in an easy to use action, and I got to keep a little bit of western history to boot. I chose .357 because I had about 500 rounds of the ammo already. The .357 out of a 20" barrel at 50 to 100 yards hits almost as hard as a .30-30.

I feel I'll be well served with this if the need arises.

Quote Originally Posted by older gunner View Post
    I feel I'll be well served with this if the need arises.
    You will be sir. You will be.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    When the dollar collapses, people lose their fortunes and the average person is all of a sudden desitute, when the SHTF that everyone seems to know in their gut that is coming, then will be the time to have your rifle close.
    Lot's of folks have had that "deep-down gut feel" lately. In my line of work I tell the rookies to learn about that gut feel and trust it. It won't let you down.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links