New AR-15, perhaps?

New AR-15, perhaps?

This is a discussion on New AR-15, perhaps? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; To commemorate this upcoming election, I was thinking about a new ar-15. I'm on a budget, kind of, and just want something simple that works ...

Thread: New AR-15, perhaps?

New AR-15, perhaps?

To commemorate this upcoming election, I was thinking about a new ar-15. I'm on a budget, kind of, and just want something simple that works but isn't crap either.

So I was thinking about a 16" del-ton upper slapped on a stag lower, or whatever lowers they have at my local shop.

I've read a lot about the advantages of a mid-length; however, the only mid-length kit del-ton offers only comes with a HBAR. And I really like the M4 carbine kit they have, as they have the option of getting a 1:7 twist barrel.

I would say the only reason I am hesitant on the mid-length is because of the HBAR. So, do the mid-length advantages, along with the HBAR, justify passing up the lighter 1:7 twist barrel on the M4 kit?

Also, what do you think about the lightweight kit, should I consider that as well? - comes with a lightweight 1:9 barrel

And just to clarify, this would be a HD/range gun. I just want a light, easy to maneuver ar. And I don't really see myself shooting from a rest all that often, but who knows, which is why the HBAR has me on the edge here.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggles View Post
    So, do the mid-length advantages, along with the HBAR, justify passing up the lighter 1:7 twist barrel on the M4 kit?
    Based on your stated preferences and intended use, no. If blind-folded and handed two identical rifles, the only differences being one has a heavy barrel and the other has a government profile or lightweight barrel, you'll know which one's which.

Try a search here and you should turn up quite a number of topics regarding first-time AR purchases.

-B

Links