Should I sell.....

Should I sell.....

This is a discussion on Should I sell..... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have the opportunity to buy an M1A that I've really wanted for a long time. The price is $1200. To do this I should ...

Should I sell.....

I have the opportunity to buy an M1A that I've really wanted for a long time. The price is $1200. To do this I should sell my MAK90 and maybe one AR15. I really haven't warmed up to the MAK90 at all and I could sell my 18" AR and not feel too bad. What would you all do given the current economic & political climate?

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Sounds like you have at least a couple of AR's so sell one and the mak90 and get the M1A. They are great rifles. Oh you didn't specify what brand of M1A. That makes a difference. Springfield go for it. Course that's only my opinion.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Yeah, it is a Springfield M1A. It a beautiful rifle and it feels really good in my hands. The seller is a friend and left it with me to fondle. I don't think I can say no to this one. The MAK90 and the 18" AR will be up for sale soon i think.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My dad told me many years ago when I was a kid, "son, never sell your guns". I've lived for almost 50 years and have "never" sold a gun. Save your money and buy when you can afford it. My .02

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    My dad told me many years ago when I was a kid, "son, never sell your guns". I've lived for almost 50 years and have "never" sold a gun. Save your money and buy when you can afford it. My .02

>>---->
    Very good advice and most of the time I live by it
    However sometimes I get a great buy on something I don't really need or want so I'll buy it as trade material. I've ended up with several rifles of the same type ect... In todays economy there is going to be some good buys on guns and that may mean I can get what I really want by selling one I don't care for. Good trade off as far as I'm concerned. There again to each his own.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I've sold or traded guns, and always moved up a notch or two to my personal thinking. Now, these days, I would never think of selling any of my guns because I have achieved my basic ideals for a well rounded group with the exception of my soon to be 870 shotgun which I traded or sold nothing, but put on layaway. Do what you must to get what you want ultimately. That's all you need to know. You want that M1A bad enough, and obviously you feel the need for it to fill a position in your collection. Do it any way you can and feel no remorse.

I've sold and/or traded a few to get something better (perceived to be better).
    In some cases, I have deeply regretted the trade...lost money, and usually a dependable 'friend'.

I pretty much have a basic collection that I can live with...I probably would not sell another gun, just stuff it in the safe.

I would keep what you have and save for the next purchase.

OMO

Stay armed...keep what you have...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, I traded for the MAK90, but I really just don't like it. I have no problem letting it go. And the AR...well, I set it up with an 18" barrel, free floated it, and put in a match trigger and a 3-9 scope. It's nice, but rarely gets shot. I spent some quality time at the range with an M1A about 6 months ago and I really liked it.....a lot!

i have had to sell all my guns for school, and i regret a few of them, mainly the AR, and my first handgun i bought, and a ruger 10/22. the others im not worried about. IMO if you wont look back and go "thats was a fun gun to shoot" or "i really liked that gun" then sell or trade for another, but i will never sell another one without a replacement. it is hard to fill the void a missing gun leaves, im still looking for a good 10/22 and another affordable AR.

.02 if you wont miss it, go for it
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post

>>---->
    My Dad never told me that, but I have a very hard time selling my guns, especially those given to me by my wife for different b'days.
    Actually the only one I sold was a POS Charter Arms,15 years ago.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Now, these days, I would never think of selling any of my guns because I have achieved my basic ideals for a well rounded group with the exception of my soon to be 870 shotgun which I traded or sold nothing, but put on layaway.
    Looks like you and I have a similar situation; for several years, I had a feeling that I had all the guns I ever wanted, but lately, with the rash of home invasions, an 870 (or a Mossberg 500) gets in my thoughts.
    However I want to get it in a private sale. All our guns were purchased through FFL and are traceable.

BTW which model 780 are you looking at ?
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Well, I decided to keep the stuff I have for now and just step up to the M1A. It's not a matter of money really....just that I don't like having stuff around that I'm not using cluttering up the safe. But given the current political climate, I may wish I had it later.
    As to the 870...I recently bought one with an 18" barrel. It's amazing with Federal Low Recoil 00 Buck. Keeps a really nice tight pattern.

Update...I kept the AK, and acquired the M1A and the STG58. Now I just gotta find a deal on .308.....

Cheaper than Dirt has .308 Battle pack, NATO M80, 200 rnds $116.97.

Links