AK prices

AK prices

This is a discussion on AK prices within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have just started shopping for an AK. I was looking last night on gunbroker.com and noticed a huge difference in the prices depending where ...

Thread: AK prices

AK prices

I have just started shopping for an AK. I was looking last night on gunbroker.com and noticed a huge difference in the prices depending where the gun was manufactured.

1. Is there that much difference in quality between them?
    2. What model is preferred?

Thanks,
    Chris

Oh boy...

There are a ton of different options when it comes to AKs. Yugoslavian and Bulgarian guns (among others) are nice guns and it's a pretty safe bet that they'll bet GTG right out of the box. If I was buying one "sight unseen," I'd probably go with one of these just because they're probably a little less likely to have any issues.

That said, the Romanian WASRs (probably the cheapest you'll find) are just fine as long as you watch out for a couple of things (excessive mag-wobble, canted front sight base or gas-block). I owned one for a while and it was a great gun...put a couple thousand rounds through it without a single problem. I would recommend one of these IF you can take a look at it in person, if there are none of the aforementioned problems, it will work just as well as any of the others. I know a guy who has something like 15,000+ rounds through one of his.

The absolute Cadillac of the AK world is anything built by a gentleman by the name of Jim Fuller who has a company called Rifle Dynamics. They're not cheap but they're without a doubt, the best AKs I've ever handled or shot.

Sorry I'm not being more specific but really, there's not much that can go wrong with an AK...just about any of them will be fine. If you see one you like, post a link to the auction so we can comment on that particular gun.

For more info, there are a couple of great AK-specific forums on other boards that I'd recommend.
    Get off the X has an AK board
    and Warrior Talk Forums - Powered by vBulletin has a few AK boards
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

KenpoTex is on the money with his comments. I think I can originally blame him for giving me the heads up to Rifle Dynamics and Jim Fuller where I have an AK on order. I will add the following to the above post. Decide on your price range as that will limit your choices. Others may disagree but to me there are currently three tiers - under $600, $600-$1000, $1000+. I use this as an example for easy grouping. The under $600 get you a variety of eastern bloc countries of various quality - Bulgarian, Romanian, Poland, etc. A WASR is a good example. If you know what to look for you can find some great rifles. In the $600 -$1,000 range you have a sweet spot of a few good options. Arsenal is a very good choice as is Arizona Response, Lancaster and Vector to name a few. Over $1,000 you have Krebs and Rifle Dynamics. Of course there are a number of variables - you can have a good parts kit put together by a bad builder and end up with a poor AK.

Now is the time to pick up your AK but as you have seen the pricing is all over the board. Let us know your price range and I am sure a few of us will help you with suggestions and spending your money.

I appreciate your opinions, I am at best 6 months away from deciding. I need the get another shotty first. I was just trying to get an idea of what I should looking for.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    I have just started shopping for an AK. I was looking last night on gunbroker.com and noticed a huge difference in the prices depending where the gun was manufactured.

1. Is there that much difference in quality between them?
    2. What model is preferred?

Thanks,
    Chris
    I'll throw in my .02 cents here... I have a WASR-10 Romanian AK. It's pretty basic, no frills, but she shoots true. It has never jammed or misfired. She ran me about $450... no matter what you decide, decide soon. You may not be able to get one next year, or cheaply after the election

KenpoTex rounded it up nicely. 'Bout a short and sweet as you can get. Current prices on the AK's are even starting to surprise me now. I guess with anything in limited supply, the prices will only continue to increase, and then the election outcome to possibly make things even worse or put things out of reach for the average civilian. As I've been schooled in other threads, most availability lies with built rifles out of parts or kits from all over the world and assembled here in country for compliance. Generally, in these cases, quality in materials and labor pretty much dictate the price on those not already in the hands of collectors, and U.S. 'builders' do these in limited quantities and special runs. I saw an ad in the local newspaper yesterday for an AK-47.
    AK 47 New in box with bayonet and accessories $475. Fort Smith (479)322-1003
    Times Record
    You won't see them often, but folks are looking at options for paying bills right now. I've had my one and only AK-47 for several years. Traded my SKS in on it and $100 to boot back in '97 or '98?. The pawn shop where I bought it didn't know what they had..........I did! I've never felt the need for another, or something else, so my research is limited. Mine is a true, down to the bone, import Bulgarian milled.

RIFLE DYNAMICS - Tools and Training for the Professional Warrior

Contact Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics. Well worth the money and wait time.

Sponsored Links