A 30-30 ?

This is a discussion on A 30-30 ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The 30-30 is a winner in the comparison with the 9mm. Old West nostalgia and well-kown terminal performance in the little rimmed cartridge. When the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A 30-30 ?

The 30-30 is a winner in the comparison with the 9mm. Old West nostalgia and well-kown terminal performance in the little rimmed cartridge. When the detachable magazines guns are outlawed, the lever gun will stick around until the next incremental disarmament. (sorry, feeling pessimistic tonight)

2. Remove Ads

If you have both, why not keep both ready, so you can chose your weapon based on the immediate engagement?

OD*
    Yep, them leverguns are outdated alright.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/thunder_ranch.htm
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

The 30-30 has been my "go to" rifle since I was 15. I am 60+ now

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Sweet!

Pictures?
    Sorry, still haven't gotten around to buying a digital camera yet.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Sorry, still haven't gotten around to buying a digital camera yet.
    Dang, I love nice old Winchesters.

~ Tiger McKee

I use to work for a DOD contractor whose security personnel carried an UZI. Nice weapon, but like any other “assault weapon” it brings with it allot of attention and apprehension.

If you’re involved in a shooting, everyone from the responding LEO to the district attorney is going to question, and look down upon the UZI.

I stand by the 30-30, I have one for the house, and one for the motorhome.

Senior Moderator
    Of the two I's go with the Uzi for increased firepower in the Home, but I would keep them both ready to go.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I use to work for a DOD contractor whose security personnel carried an UZI. Nice weapon, but like any other “assault weapon” it brings with it allot of attention and apprehension.

If you’re involved in a shooting, everyone from the responding LEO to the district attorney is going to question, and look down upon the UZI.
    Lets get the terminology correct and compare apples to apples. An uzi is a subgun, it is not an assault rifle. It only shoots a pistol cartridge and doesn't even come close to the horsepower of a full size (or assault) rifle cartridge.

To the OP. If you like or just want a lever gun in 30-30 I say go for it. It will serve you well for hunting and for self defense. However, if your primary intent is a self defense arm and you're only looking into the 30-30 to keep you out of hot water with the courts, I still say a SKS or AK would be better. A rifle, any rifle, is an offensive weapon. As I posted before there is almost no realistic scenario that I can think of where you would be justified (in court) in reaching out to 100 or 200 yds to pop a BG. If you do have to reach out for some unlikely reason I think your rifle choice will be the least of your worries.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I sure love old Winchesters and the .30-30 lever action carbine is a compact and potent rifle for either big game or self defense use.

":The 7.62x39 has slightly better ballistics than the 30-30 (they are almost identical)"

I've not heard this before. I'd prefer the heavier bullet of the .30-30 for my use. I've got a 20-inch barreled .30-30 and an SKS. The .30-30 administers an easy drubbing to the 7.62X39 over the chronograph when comparable weight bullets are used. Not a whole lot of difference but the nod would go to .30-30. Especially with it's ability to handle bullets up to 170 grains in weight.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'd buy an AK or SKS. The 7.62x39 has slightly better ballistics than the 30-30 (they are almost identical) and you get 30 in the mag for an AK. If the crap hits the fan for real you wont be sorry. AKs are in the same price range as a Winchester and ammo is dirt cheap. There will never be a scenario in which reaching out and touching someone with a rifle will look good in court (short of the total meltdown of society). So why not get the most firepower for your dollar?
    I already have the UZI and the 30-30; actually I am not planning on buying anything but a 870. If we get the wrong people at the govmt, I'll probably have to scale down; I can see the 10 guns limit coming back. The "arsenal" as they call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    If you have both, why not keep both ready, so you can chose your weapon based on the immediate engagement?
    I believe in simple SOP's; I always carry the same Glock, if I need a long gun NOW I don't want to debate a choice; if I have the luxury of time, then you are absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Yep, them leverguns are outdated alright.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/thunder_ranch.htm
    Thanks for the link, interesting.

To all who took the time to answer, thank you, thank you.
    Now I need to order a few boxes of 30-30 !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    If we get the wrong people at the govmt, I'll probably have to scale down; I can see the 10 guns limit coming back. The "arsenal" as they call it.
    How can a law like that work? No state I've ever lived in has required you to register your long arms... I could see how they could enforce handguns. Someone who can clear this up for me?
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

OD*
    You're welcome, jfl.

~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I sure love old Winchesters and the .30-30 lever action carbine is a compact and potent rifle for either big game or self defense use.

":The 7.62x39 has slightly better ballistics than the 30-30 (they are almost identical)"

I've not heard this before. I'd prefer the heavier bullet of the .30-30 for my use. I've got a 20-inch barreled .30-30 and an SKS. The .30-30 administers an easy drubbing to the 7.62X39 over the chronograph when comparable weight bullets are used. Not a whole lot of difference but the nod would go to .30-30. Especially with it's ability to handle bullets up to 170 grains in weight.

I go by my reloading manuals. The Hornady has the 30-30 with one choice of bullet (round nose)at150gr weight. Max load lists velocity at 2300 fps. The 7.62x39 has 7 choices (.308) and 1 (.312) at 150 grains with a max velocity of 2800 fps!<-- That is as hot as a .308 or a 30-06 in 150 grains.

ETA: Just to clarify, I only listed bullest choices in the 150 grain weight. Hornady makes lighter and heavier bullets in .308.

ETA again: 2800 fps is in error see new post.
    Last edited by atctimmy; October 29th, 2008 at 11:12 AM.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

30/30 is a great caliber. I have my grandfathers 1964 Win model 94. I love that gun!
    God Bless America!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links