A 30-30 ?

This is a discussion on A 30-30 ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am planning to get shotgun in the next few months 870 or 500 depending on what I can find. In the meantime, I am ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A 30-30 ?

A 30-30 ?

I am planning to get shotgun in the next few months 870 or 500 depending on what I can find.

In the meantime, I am thinking of promoting one of my long guns to HD duty.
    The choice are an UZI carbine in 9mm (semi-auto)
    or a Winchester 1866 commemorative in 30-30.

I live in a semi-rural area, on an almost 5 acre lot, the closest house is a couple thousand feet away.

Of course, if I had to go in front of a jury, the 30-30 would probably look better than an "assault machine-gun" but I am not sure I would really care at that point.

Your feedback is appreciated, as usual !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

I kept one for years.It was my deer gun and my self defense gun also.Out to 150 yards they are great,plus you can reload them as you shoot to keep it topped off.I kept mine in a gun rack at home along with a bandolier of 25 shells loaded and ready to go.All I had to do was grab the gun and bandolier and I was set.That old gun has put down a lot of deer,but now I've retired it to the safe.Seems like I'm always short of money so now I have a sks for defense and a 12ga auto,plus a glock g-19,thats my whole arsenal,along with enough ammo to last awhile.sj

VIP Member
    I'd go with the 30-30. While the 9mm Uzi will give you superior volume of rounds, the 30-30 gives you the advantage of longer distance shots in a SHTF situation.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I like a 30-30.
    Not so much as a hunting rifle but more as a quick point and shoot close quarter gun, that truly packs a wallop, and yet has very little recoil.
    For that reason, I keep a custom one in my motorhome, along with about 100 rounds of ammo.
    Figure if the world goes haywire, while Iím away from home, at least Iíll have a rifle, as well as my Glock with me.

The 30-30 would also be handy if while remote camping we are attacked by some sort of wild beast, and for that reason, I keep it just inside the door, when we are out in the backcountry.

Plastic stock, with all metal parts parkerized.

OD*
    I'd go with the 30/30.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Just picked up a mint pre .64 for two bills.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Another vote for the .30-30.....

I own a bunch of them & always carry one around the farm. i even have a 'Tacti-cool' one that I had Parkerized & replaced the wood with composite.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    30-30 since 1866.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

With out a doubt .30/30.

Have used .30/30 since the 60's. Have many other rifles but if needing something easy to handle and dependable the Winchester comes out of the cabinet.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

Choice between an uzi and a 30-30....

30/30 by far.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    ...if needing something easy to handle and dependable the Winchester comes out of the cabinet.
    +1

My Winchester model 94 is first rate in my book.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ya' just can't beat a 30-30 as a brush gun...it has the ability to reach out and touch someone (on a 5-acre parcel).
    I bought a Marlin 336 in stainless during the last year for just such home protection.
    The 30-30 is a 'keeper'.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; October 27th, 2008 at 09:29 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Just picked up a mint pre .64 for two bills.
    Sweet!

Pictures?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    I'd buy an AK or SKS. The 7.62x39 has slightly better ballistics than the 30-30 (they are almost identical) and you get 30 in the mag for an AK. If the crap hits the fan for real you wont be sorry. AKs are in the same price range as a Winchester and ammo is dirt cheap. There will never be a scenario in which reaching out and touching someone with a rifle will look good in court (short of the total meltdown of society). So why not get the most firepower for your dollar?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    There will never be a scenario in which reaching out and touching someone with a rifle will look good in court (short of the total meltdown of society). So why not get the most firepower for your dollar?
    True, but it is nice to be able to reach out and touch things that go bump in the night
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links