New Mini-14 and Free Mag Offer

This is a discussion on New Mini-14 and Free Mag Offer within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This weekend I purchased a Ruger mini-14 (blued/wood) in order to get in on the free Ruger 20-round magazine offer (expires 10/31). While I would ...

This weekend I purchased a Ruger mini-14 (blued/wood) in order to get in on the free Ruger 20-round magazine offer (expires 10/31). While I would have preferred an AR-15 type of rifle, the Ruger is priced right and it appears that Hi-Cap magazines, at least for the immediate future, will be readily available. I also bought a MagPro 20 round magazine at the time of purchase and it functioned flawlessly

I took it to the range this morning and had a blast. I am still breaking it in and will sight it in at 100 yeards later. I just thought that others who might be interrested in buying the Mini-14 ought to know that the 20-round magazine offer will expire at the end of October.

Do you mind me asking what you paid?

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSls1 View Post
    Do you mind me asking what you paid?
    Sorry for the late response. I was away from a computer. I paid $599 at Academy Sporting goods here in TX.

If there are other Mini-14 owners out there, I have a question. I have tried on two different occasions to get the bolt out of the receiver and ended up cleaning the rifle without taking out the bolt. Is there a trick to get that thing out?

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I read the manual. I ALWAYS read manuals. The problem is that no matter how I try to position the bolt, the firing pin extension just will not clear the cut out at the bottom of the receiver. I can get it aligned with the cut out, but no matter how much I giggle it, no matter how I hold the gun, upright or upside down, the rear of the bolt will not clear the receiver. I could probably get it out if I forced it, but I obviously don't want to do that.

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Thanks for the video. The video shows a different procedure than is specified in the manual. In the video, the bolt-stop cover and bolt stop are removed BEFORE the bolt is removed from the receiver. In the manual, it says that the bolt-stop and cover do not need to be removed for normal maintenance. I had been leaving the bolt-stop cover and bolt-stop in place because I thought that I should learn how to get the bolt out according to the directions--which apparently are wrong! I expect that if I follow the proceedure outlined in the video, the bolt should come right out.

Thanks Matiki

Following the direction given in the video instead of the directions in the manual sure makes a difference. The bolt slips right out if I ignore the manual and remove the bold stop first, as demonstrated in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Firkin View Post
    Following the direction given in the video instead of the directions in the manual sure makes a difference. The bolt slips right out if I ignore the manual and remove the bold stop first, as demonstrated in the video.
    Now we know. And knowing is half the battle. - G.I. Joe.

Congrats on the new Mini. I would be interested in a range report with pics of groups from the Mini.

I have an old 185 series. They are not very accurate as .223 carbines go, but good enough for 1-200 yds. With the older models one problem is barrel flex inherent in the design of the gas block attachment, similar to the problem with accuracy on Ak's. The other problem is that the barrels are thin and overheat quickly. Other than those two issues, it's a great weapon and very durable. It works even when cruddy and dirty, much like the loose Garand action that it was patterned from, and unlike an AR.

I have looked at the newer mini-14s and see that Ruger now puts heavier barrels on them than they did when mine was made. That should improve accuracy by limiting barrel flexing and also help with the overheating issue. So, your new mini should outperform the old ones like mine. If you get some nice groups out of her, post a range report if you don't mind.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

[QUOTE=sgtD;887708]Congrats on the new Mini. I would be interested in a range report with pics of groups from the Mini./QUOTE]

Sorry, I don't have any pics from my trip to the range. But I can give a brief report.

The range I went to is primarily a pistol range and I was mostly interrested in making sure that the two mags that I had functioned with the rifle. I also wanted to break-in the gun some in anticipation of a more serious sighting-in trip to a range where I can shoot from a bench at longer distances.

The gun did get pretty hot by the end of 80 rounds shot over a period of about 30 minutes. However, the last 15 rounds shot at 20 yards, when the barrell was pretty hot, standing and using irons sights was good enough that I could have covered the group with a silver dollar. Granted, this was only at 20 yards, but considering the heat of the barrell, the fact that I was shooting while standing and using iron sights, I was pretty pleased.

Well, yesterday my one free and two purchased 20-round mags from Ruger arrived in the mail. I had previously purchased a Pro-Mag 20 round magazine that functioned flawlessly. The Ruger mags have the Ruger name on them but as far as function and quality, I can't tell the difference between the Ruger mags and the Pro-Mag 20-rounders. I can definitely recommend the Pro-Mag mags to owners of the Mini-14.

Links