Defensive Carry banner

Bushmaster M4 A3

8K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  PARADIGM 45 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I too have become concerned about our near future of being able to purchase assault rifles and have decided to invest while I can. My local gun shop has a nice Bushmaster m4 A3 for $1,050. My question is how are the bushmaster rifles as far as quality and reliability? I really liked the way the rifle felt and it seemed of good quality, but you know how that can go. The main reason I am looking here at this gunshop is because they are giving me a great deal on a trade in that will get me $400 towards the purchase, so thats kind of why I'm limited here. Any input is welcomed! Thanks!

#2 ·
Well, if you feel you're coming out good on the trade, I'd say go for it. I'll just add that I would think you might be able to cut that price by at least $100 other places. I don't know your area, but around here, the basic Bushmaster models go from $850-$900. I'm on my third Bushmaster actually....I've traded up to what I wanted since my first. Bushmasters are very good IMO, and I've never seen a good reason to change. Their customer/tech support is excellent....I recently lost my buffer detent spring and rear takedown spring while swapping out some parts on mine. I just called them up, gave them the serial number, and three days later, I had my replacement parts no cost! Had this one since 2005 so technically out of warranty. Many folks here believe there are better "quality" AR-15's out there, but I'll tell you the truth----never seen anyone bash them for any reason, and some who have built their own hybrids have either an upper or lower from Bushmaster...mainly the uppers. I love mine, and Bushmaster has never let me down in any way.

#3 ·
Bushmaster makes good rifles. The price sounds a bit high for my area. Maybe search around other stores to get an idea of prices for your area.

#8 ·
To me that seems high too.
Does the Bushmaster m4 A3 have a .223 or a 5.56 barrel?
I was impresses with the Bushmasters when I was looking for the right AR.

I just paid $940 for new S&W M&P15X here in Raleigh
Comes with the 4 rail hand guard, Troy flip up rear sight, 5.56 barrel.

#16 ·
To me that seems high too.
Does the Bushmaster m4 A3 have a .223 or a 5.56 barrel?
I was impresses with the Bushmasters when I was looking for the right AR.

Pretty certain all Bushmasters stuff is Wylde (sp?) chamber so do shoot both. RRA too I am fairly certain. Another good brand. Have had them both and had no problems with either.

Does sound a bit high. I would expect that rifle your looking at should be found for just around $900. Maybe $850. I think I paid well less than $800 for a Bushmaster M4 A2 Carbine last year. My Son still has that one. And I built an RRA upper flat top Chrome lined barrel carbine into a full gun for $650 then too. By buying things separately.

I only paid $900 for my Colt A2 HBAR so there ya go. It was used though and I had to thread and put the comp break on it because it was Ban erra rifle.

#11 ·
Hey thanks for the input everybody! As far as barrel he said it will shoot both 5.56 and 223 so I assume thats the 5.56 barrel. Ill see if I can talk him down a bit. Is there a good place that sells them I could reference to him to see if he would lower the price?

#12 ·
All Bushmasters come with the 5.56 barrel unless chambered for some other cartridge. Mine is a HBAR is why my barrel doesn't have the step like the M4A3. Your standard 5.56 chamber will be fine shooting .223. I figure about 75% of what goes through mine is .223 and at 100yds or less, there's no difference in accuracy that I can tell, and mine has an 11.5" barrel 1/9 twist. More advice on the trade/buy? If you can get this guy to give you $400 credit on your firearm, you could likely sell it outright for more than that to someone else, or see if your local shop takes consignments. Then after your firearm sells, and you have the cash..go in to buy this AR-15 and ask for a cash discount. Learn to wheel and deal like the gun shop does on a daily basis and you'll be one up on them, and more than happy to save a bit of change for the ammo purchase. On the other hand, if you need to buy some time, see if they will do layaway with down payment like my shop did with my 870. Just my 2¢. Don't mean to complicate things for you. A penny saved is a penny earned.

By the way....I've never know any dealer to do a 'price match'.
Is there a good place that sells them I could reference to him to see if he would lower the price?
They are set in their ways, and if you tell them so-and-so has one for $xxx, they'll just tell you to go with so-and-so and not bother them anymore. Again...my opinion, and I've had some experience. I don't think I've ever come out on the short end of the stick. Always happy with my firearm purchases.

#14 ·
Yeah I def want to support my local gun shop. They have always been excellent with everything I have purchased from them. I'll probably give that a shot RAM about the consignment. See what I get haha. Ill let you guys know.

#15 ·
I sold my former Ithaca 37 12ga on consignment at one of my local gun shops a few years ago. I asked what he would charge, and priced my shotgun accordingly to get what I wanted for it. He charged 10% on the sale which I got $325 out of in the end. It took five weeks to sell, but I was firm on the price. It was circa 1976 with original wood stock and slam-fire capability, and I'd had it re-parkerized two years earlier. That's the only firearm that I've sold that I wish I had back now. Such is life I reckon. We all live with our decisions, but from what the dealer told me, it sold to a fellow returning home to one of the southern states after a hurricane.

#18 ·
Got my Bushie for $150 less than yours...added an EO Tech to the flat top...Mmmmmm...mmmmmm, she's a keeper.:yup:

#20 ·
That seems a little high, but not too much. I paid $995 for my M&P15. I almost decided on a Bushmaster, but wanted something different from my buddies who already have Bushmasters. If you must pay fifty bucks more, then go ahead. That's cheap compared to what they might be in a year or two.

#21 ·
Be sure to check the gas key bolts to ensure that they are correctly staked. If not, find someone who has a MOACKS tool and have them staked. You may want to have an AR15/M16 armorer go over it to check that that everything is as it should be, the bolt is properly outfitted and that the chamber is truly of 5.56 dimensions.

#24 ·
Glad your Bushmaster isn't far away now! I'm doing the layaway thing on my Remington 870. At least we are locked in!

#25 ·
Yeah for sure! Also I forgot to mention the ar I put on layaway is the Bushmaster m4 a3 xm-15 "homeland defender" model. I'm not sure as to what differences this particular model has over the standard m4 a3. I know it has a 16" barrel with 1" removable suppressor over the 14.5 with fixed suppressor. If any one knows any other differences that would be great!
~Erik

#26 ·
Couldn't tell you about all that, but I'm thinking the removable flash suppressor is a plus? The total 16" compliance is a must unless you are a class III. I have an 11.5" barrel with pinned 5.5" flash suppressor. The 'Commando' model I've always wanted. Back in the mid 90's, I had one of the 14.5" barrel Bushmasters with the pinned on 'AK' muzzle brake, and as with most of the Bushmasters....accuracy is top notch. First I've heard of the 'homeland defender' model, but anything put out by Bushmaster is good to go, or otherwise, they will swap it out with you in short order under warranty. Anything else is taken on a case-by case basis, but you'll get excellent customer support either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.