Looking into getting a shotgun... - Page 2

Looking into getting a shotgun...

This is a discussion on Looking into getting a shotgun... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The ONLY thing I like better about the Mossy 590 over the Rem 870 is the position of the safety. But you've gotta' keep a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The ONLY thing I like better about the Mossy 590 over the Rem 870 is the position of the safety. But you've gotta' keep a standard stock configuration on there to USE it!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    I actually have the prefer the Mossberg 500 over the 590 because I have 2 barrels for them a 28" Multi choke and a 18.5" CB for HD
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    12 gauge is the only way to go IMO when it comes to self defense. Others do the trick as well, but 12 is the most available and has the best ammo choices.

Generally this is the case but a smaller framed person or one who is very sensitive to recoil would be well served with a 20 ga.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Best load is 00 buck 9 pellets of .32 calibre shot will take the fight out of ya quick
    Masaad Ayoob recommends the #1 shot.

Quote Originally Posted by spideebat View Post
    Shot guns may even be safer it used to defend yourself in a home because it has a larger pattern(you do not have to aim as acuurately) then a handgun and may not go as far through walls as a hand gun will.
    At 10 feet a 12 ga. pattern is about 4 inches across, you'd do well to aim carefully.

Generally this is the case but a smaller framed person or one who is very sensitive to recoil would be well served with a 20 ga.
    That's assuming the 20 gauge & 12 gauge weigh the same. Remember, the lighter the gun = the heavier the recoil. So a 20 gauge is no advantage...if the reduction in recoil is matched with a reduction in gun weight. Better to use light-recoil loads in a full-weight 12 gauge, with a Youth stock configuration (if necessary) for handling & LOP.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Winchester

I had an Ithica police surplus 12. but I thought the bottom eject might put empties where I could step on them and slip in the dark.

Having shot Winchesters (mod 70s and mod 12s) most of my life, I selected a Winnie Defender. Works great, Not a prom queen but feeds and fires everytime. I have seen the police surplus firearms at several Law Enforcement supply companies in North Carolina from time to time.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    I don't agree with this at all, but its a common misconception. Here is why;

Done right, felt recoil from a shotgun isn't much at all. People think the a 12g is such a beast because of folklore or they never have been taught how to shot a shotgun properly. I don't mean to ruffle feathers, but its the truth. Very very few people I've shot with or taught combat shotgunning to knew how to shoot a shotgun, even those who swore up and down they were near experts at it. The folklore of the shotgun is so widespread, it darn near has become fact.

Then, a 20g is no less powerful than a 12g. The only difference is the size of load delivered.

Finally, a point that already has been touched on, many 20g are built lighter than their 12g counterparts. This is basic physics, lighter gun=more felt recoil.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've been happy with my Rem1100, 23" Rem-choke barrel, Speed Feed, Briley mag extention gives 9+1 capacity. Favorite load for home defence is 22 pellet load of #4 Buck. Smaller size buck spreads better at close range, and is less likely to over penitrate, but is still large eough to get the job done! Would love to try a Benelli one of these days!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JDBraddy View Post
    I've been happy with my Rem1100, 23" Rem-choke barrel, Speed Feed, Briley mag extention gives 9+1 capacity. Favorite load for home defence is 22 pellet load of #4 Buck. Smaller size buck spreads better at close range, and is less likely to over penitrate, but is still large eough to get the job done! Would love to try a Benelli one of these days!
    Thats a neat old school shotgun, that's the way they are supposed to look.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    If recoil is such a problem, don't they sell thicker pads for the butt to help absorb recoil?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    If recoil is such a problem, don't they sell thicker pads for the butt to help absorb recoil?
    Yes and a heavier gun helps also. Example my old 1930 SXS shotgun is about 2 lbs heavier than my Mossberg 500 and has less recoil even though it has a steel butt plate.

A good use SXS or new Mossberg (I like the safety on top of the gun) can be found for under $250 especially now that it is hunting season.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Picked up a slightly used PD turn-in Rem 870 Police model for short money. It's all steel (and resin stock), weighs a ton and well-made!

Rem now has a new reduced recoil pad that I found listed for ~$11 (C&R discount) that I'm going to try out.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Picked up a slightly used PD turn-in Rem 870 Police model for short money. It's all steel (and resin stock), weighs a ton and well-made!

Rem now has a new reduced recoil pad that I found listed for ~$11 (C&R discount) that I'm going to try out.
    Those are some of the best deals out there when you can find them. I had to have the nice walnut stock though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I put one of the Sim's manufactured "Limbsaver" (but Remington branded "Super Cell R3") pads on the factory synthetic stock of my Remington 870 social shotgun. Nice fit & couldn't be happier.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links