Looking into getting a shotgun...

This is a discussion on Looking into getting a shotgun... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ... And I don't really know enough about them. I was wondering what brand, gauge, etc. would be good quality, but not too pricey. ANy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking into getting a shotgun...

Question Looking into getting a shotgun...

... And I don't really know enough about them. I was wondering what brand, gauge, etc. would be good quality, but not too pricey. ANy info would be awesome, as I've always been a pistol guy. However, the election is making me nervous, so I figured I would be prepared for the worst.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'm assuming you want a home defense type. Pump guns reign king.

My pick is the Remington 870, a wingmaster or police model is the caddi of the line.
    Second choice is the Mossbergs, I highly suggest you opt for the more robust 590 model vs. the 500.

12 gauge is the only way to go IMO when it comes to self defense. Others do the trick as well, but 12 is the most available and has the best ammo choices.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto is spot-on. Remington 870/Mossburg 590, 12 gauge, is the answer to your question. Yeah, there are Benelli, Winchester, Ithaca, Franchi, Ruger, Marlin, Savage, L.C. Smith, Perazzi, (et al) solutions...but your answer is an 870 or a 590.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Best load is 00 buck 9 pellets of .32 calibre shot will take the fight out of ya quick
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

jfl
    Planning to buy a shotgun soon, I did some research, and I concur with the above posters.
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 short barrel, full length stock; the pistol stock looks cool I don't have the strength to control it.

The only other contender would be a "coach gun" if I found one in good condition and cheap...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I have a Mossie 500 I bought used for $100. It is a reliable workhorse...I'll never get rid of it.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think you'd be better off with a Remington 1187 POLICE or a Beretta 1200. Both have hi-cap magazines, rifle sights and are semi auto. Easier to keep on target and no need to pump...just keep pulling the trigger.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I think you'd be better off with a Remington 1187 POLICE or a Beretta 1200
    I should have guessed that would come from a guy named "Automatic Slim"!

Just jokin' Slim.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'm the odd duck here, I prefer my double barrel coach gun...short, two big barrels of 12 ga/00 buck looking at you as you climb through the window or kick in a door. I figure that I only need the two quick shots, and I can reload in just a second or two.
    I still have my .45 on my hip...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm the odd duck here, I prefer my double barrel coach gun...short, two big barrels
    Funny you would mention that. I've recently thought a shortened (18" barrels) Ruger Red Label (stack-barreled 12 gauge) would be about 4" shorter than an 870 with the same barrel because of chamber position relative to the receiver (if you can say a double-barrel HAS a receiver). Lengthen the forcing cones & port the barrels (re: Vang Comp), put on a set of Express (Safari Style) sights...you would have one unique, fast-handling little trouble shooter. Would it still maintain legal overall length if the barrels were cut to non-NFA minimum?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm the odd duck here, I prefer my double barrel coach gun...short, two big barrels of 12 ga/00 buck looking at you as you climb through the window or kick in a door. I figure that I only need the two quick shots, and I can reload in just a second or two.
    I still have my .45 on my hip...
    Nope. Not at all. I concur completely. I like the KISS principle.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Best load is 00 buck 9 pellets of .32 calibre shot will take the fight out of ya quick
    You would think, while involved in a shooting I found that two rounds of OO buck were not enough, after another 2 rounds and some 9MM and 40 he eventually expired. People do not burst into flames when shot. Shot and move, shoot and move.

If you could find one, and affordable, an Ithaca 37 is the best you could ask for in a pump. I've had a Mossberg 500 in 20ga before, and a Stevens single shot besides the Ithaca. This time, I'm all in for the 870....I'll be so happy when I can quit saying "on layaway". Eight hours OT this week may just bring her home.
    You can usually trust in Sixto and what he has to say. If you are looking into something more affordable, the Mossberg 'Maverick' line wouldn't be out of the question for a start. With the right knowledge, and parts, you could expand on a general 'sporting' shotgun into what you want, or envision for the future.

Smile

I have two remington 12 gauge semi automatics one is my dads and it is over 60 years old and still works like new. The main thing is to clean it on a regular basis. They work well for hunting all types of game as well as being a defensive weapon if needed. Nothing is scarier than a shot gun when you load one in the chamber...the noise itself may scare someone into running away. Shot guns may even be safer it used to defend yourself in a home because it has a larger pattern(you do not have to aim as acuurately) then a handgun and may not go as far through walls as a hand gun will.

I've always loved the Remington 870. The 870 comes in both the Express and the Wingmaster....Both of mine were Express models. The wingmaster is the fancier of the two and really isn't needed.

Both my 870s were excellent firearms. I never had any sort of problem with either one. Both were in 12g and I kept 3 inch 00 buck loaded in them.

One advantage of the 870 over other shotguns is that the availability of custom parts for it are far greater than its competitors (from what I've seen). Usually, the ones with shorter barrels are more expensive. My first 870 was a 28inch barrel only because it was about 75 bucks cheaper than the short barrel model....And an 18 inch barrel for it was only an additional 90 bucks.

The Mossburg 500 / 550 would also be an excellent choice. I've only shot one though, and I did notice it kicked A LOT harder than my 870. My 870 was comfortable to shoot while the Moss was actually painfull. One advantage the Moss has over the 870 is that the controls are easier to operate.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links