Who wants to talk me in/out of an AR?

This is a discussion on Who wants to talk me in/out of an AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lately I've been questioning my desire to buy an AR 15 or AK 47. One one hand, such a rifle would be very useful in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who wants to talk me in/out of an AR?

Lately I've been questioning my desire to buy an AR 15 or AK 47. One one hand, such a rifle would be very useful in a SHTF scenario. I also know it's a definite possibility im going to be kicking myself in the butt in a few years (or months for that matter) should they become banned. I was thinking about dropping my $1000+ AR plans for a $300 Mossberg shotgun. It's primary use would be home defense and would still be more than a little useful in a SHTF scenario. But then again, I also want an AR or AK in case they get banned. I read on Obama's website that he is in favor of a permanent ban on "assault weapons" and with his current lead in the polls, these thoughts may soon become reality. So who wants to talk me in or out of buying an EBR? Im currently on the fence.
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    The AR platform is in my opinion one of the greatest ever. It's modular. You can make it a target rifle, a close combat rifle, a sniper rifle...anything you want. There are countless parts for it to make it fit your purpose exactly. Ammo isn't too expensive, and it's plenty. It's reliable and accurate. I don't think you could ask much more from a gun. I personally like them better than AKs, but thats just me. Get either one, but I wouldn't hold off on it for a shotgun.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I unlike a few others feel that if dipstick gets elected his first week in office he will sign an assault weapons ban,and then start going after other police/military style weapons high cap magazines etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

AR...because anything less (Mini, AK, Saiga, etc.) will always make you wish you had done it in the first place. This is the voice of personal experience talking. I finally came to my AR senses (although I DO still like my FN-FAL).
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I just picked up an RRA Tactical Entry W/optics mount. I too was debating but decided to go ahead and pull the trigger B/4 the election
    I am happy I did. Next will be Eotech 512

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    All I can offer is I think you will kick yourself in the azz later for NOT getting one!

Easy to build and maintain, fun to shoot, very good weapon for defense and looks cool as hell.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Get an AR first IMO. Sporting shotguns may be available longer than the evil black rifle if the powers that be chip away at the 2nd amendment rock once again. The sporting shotgun can be made into a SD shotty fairly easily later on by you, a gunsmith, or going over the parts bins at local pawn shops. I've done it myself before.

I was having the same thoughts, so went out and bought a nice 24" bull barrel, floating hand guards, harris bi-pod and areduved trigger. It put me back a grand, but now I don't have to think about the "what if" situation. I have all my bases covered on weapons! Also, ARs are easier to trick out. They have decent stopping power in close quarters, and they can also reach out and touch someone 800+yds! I say buy away!
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I told myself I was going to eventually buy an AR-15 rifle, but I think the elections is what drove me to go and splurge on one. Sarah Palin was nice enough to hook every eligible Alaskan up with a 1200 dollar energy rebate, so that's where my rebate went. I can say I'm quite happy with my purchase too!

The Brady Campaign would just love this picture wouldn't they!? LOL!!!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

So many choices...get the AR-15 first...before Christmas...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    So many choices...get the AR-15 first...before Christmas...
    Yes...yes, before Christmas! (If there is going to be a Christmas this year). This next week should tell us if Christmas will still be part of America. God help us all.

No Christmas, go God, no guns...but there's plenty of crap to spread around...should be a fairly fertile country in a few months.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I went out and got a AK-47 Israeli Gaili/Golani. Shoots 223.

So far it is working great, no issues

I've got 2 ARs. I started with a Ruger Mini-14 and was not happy. I then got a Colt SP-1 back in the 1980s along with a bunch of mags from an Army Major at Ft Bragg. I traded it off for a more accurate Bushmaster Varminter .223 about 3 or 4 years ago and really enjoy it. I got rid of my Federal Ordinance M-14 early in the summer and got a great deal on an Armalite AR-10T .308. So far this summer I''ve run over 850 rounds through it and it's a blast. I put a Magpul stock on it to improve the fit and comfort and a Accupod on the rear stock to go with the front bipod.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Get the AR you will be happy you did. I feel so much better now that mine is fully assembled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links