Pistol Caliber Carbines

This is a discussion on Pistol Caliber Carbines within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ten or so years ago, I had a Marlin .45 Camp Carbine that I liked, but traded off, and now regret doing so. Kind of ...

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbines

Pistol Caliber Carbines

Ten or so years ago, I had a Marlin .45 Camp Carbine that I liked, but traded off, and now regret doing so. Kind of like a large calibre version of a Ruger 10/22, it was accurate, lightweight, rugged, and took standard 1911 magazines. Even though I have an AR carbine and Shotguns, I would like another pistol calibre carbine, but the .45 Marlin camp carbines are no longer being manufactured, and though I might be able to find a used one out there somewhere, I am not up-to-date on what else is currently available. Perhapse there are some new options I might like even better. Intended use would be as a general purpose bounce around in the back of the truck plinker, and maybe the occasional local IDPA fun type carbine match. Not looking to invest a fortune on this, something like an MP5 would probably be well out of my price range, so would love to hear some reviews and reccomendations for what's available, in fun to shoot, pistol calibre plinkers.

2. Remove Ads

I personally like the Beretta Storm CX4 in 9mm for this purpose, but it is a little pricey, but not like AR15 9mm carbines. The CX4 takes Beretta 92 mags and so mags are plentiful and fairly inexpensive.

Of course, there are the .40 and .45 acp versions as well. They take their own mags, as I recall.

Note that some of the controls on the Storm can be reversed for handedness and preference (mag release and safety). They make rails for them if you want to add accessories.

The best bargain out there, IMHO, is the Hipoint 9mm carbine. They look a bit funny, but by golly they seem to shoot great and are reliable.

Of course, you could go with a Mechtech carbine upper to put on one of your pistols.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

I have the CX4 Storm in 9mm and 40 cal. LOVE THEM!! I actually just picked up the 9 mm for $375 used. What a steal. They typically run around $550-$750 new. Also, FYI the 40 cal STorm uses Beretta Mod. 96 mags, just like the pistol. MecGar makes a semi flush fit 15 rounder for it and they make a flush fit 20 rounder for the 9 mm. Sportsmansguide sells aftermarket beretta mags for the mod 96 that says it holds 20, but actually holds around 17 or 18. However, these mags are 3 for $60 and the MecGars are around $30 a peice.I have heard the HI-Points are Ok and they make a stock that looks like the STorm and have been told they are not too hard to switch out.Sportsmansguide sells them for around $60. I would seriously look at the CX4 STorm as mine has been 100% reliable and very accurate out to 75 yds and even 100yds once you get familiar with gun. I use an eotech Halo on my 40
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

Mo
    I think the Storm is a great gun. I've shot one and liked it a lot but haven't found one for less than $600 locally. $375 used is a killer deal.

+4 on the CX4 Storm
    I have it in .45cal and it uses 8045 mags that are not cheap
    but it is my grab and go gun because it fires the 45cal that I can
    get anywhere and I will be able to feed it and my Glock G36
    and not need to carry more than one type of ammo

check it out

MVC-143S.JPG
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Administrator
    The only ones worthwhile in current manufacturer are the Storms or a 9mm AR. You can still find the Ruger PC's every once in a while, but I've been looking for a nice PC9 for a few years now.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 3rd, 2008 at 10:13 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I want a 9mm AR upper and the mag well attachment.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Carbine

A local PD uses Kel Tec carbines in .40 and is pretty satisfied with them. Magazine well is set up to use the Glock 22 magazine, same as the issue sidearm. The hold up to the routine abuse they get bouncing around in cop cars, although they gave up on the barrel-mount lasers they had, couldn't keep them zeroed under those conditions.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I've wanted a pistol round carbine for years. My nephew and some others say "If you want a rifle - buy a rifle." Meaning a rifle using a rifle round.

I see their point - for more distance mainly - but - any situation I can see where I'd need something more than my handgun would probably never go out more than 100 yards - so I have to wonder what'd be best for me?
    For God, Family and Country!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    I've wanted a pistol round carbine for years. My nephew and some others say "If you want a rifle - buy a rifle." Meaning a rifle using a rifle round.

I see their point - for more distance mainly - but - any situation I can see where I'd need something more than my handgun would probably never go out more than 100 yards - so I have to wonder what'd be best for me?
    Well, if you need something "more than a handgun", would you want the modest gain in power from the same handgun round out of a 16" tube, or the ~300% power increase from a 5.56 round?

Besides, the 5.56 carbine with an inexpensive .22lr conversion kit gives you lots of flexibility.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

For a low cost alternative look at Hi-power carbines. I do not own one but have heard and read glowing reviews of them. The only fault was the stock and a cheap quality folder is available for it.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

[QUOTE=ArmyCop;892394]"If you want a rifle - buy a rifle." Meaning a rifle using a rifle round.[QUOTE]

Well, I have several very capible highpower rifles, from a .358 Mag to a 16" AR Carbine, and I owned a .45 camp carbine for almost a decade, so I know what I want. I want something handy to carry (Under 5lbs), that's fun to plink with at distances out to 50 yards or so, won't break the bank for ammo, but packs enough punch to dispach an occasional pig, coyote, or deer at short distances like we have here in the Texas Brush country. Sure my AR carbine in .223 would do the job, but that old .45 camp carbine I used to have, worked a whole lot better for my purposes.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    For a low cost alternative look at Hi-power carbines. I do not own one but have heard and read glowing reviews of them. The only fault was the stock and a cheap quality folder is available for it.
    I take it you ment the Hi Point carbine with is avalible in 9mm and .40, with a .45acp model in the works. These carbines are inexpensive but they do function well are acceptably accurate and are a blast to shoot. The OEM stock works well but is butt ugly. I installed an ATI stock on my unit and it looks alot like the Storm. The only drawback is the factory mags with are limited to 10 rounds. Promag makes a 15 rounder but like most Promags it does not work reliably.

I also own a Kel Tec Sub 2000 and Marlin Camp 9 and both of these small rifles are a lot of fun. The Sub 2000 I own uses Beretta 92 mags and the gun can be found in models that use Hi cap Glock and S&W mags also. The KT folds in half so you can store the gun under a seat or desk or in a samll case.

I own several carbines including AR's and AK's in .223 and 7.62x39 but I really like pistol caliber carbines for just the plain fun of shooting these rifles. They are cheap to feed and have almost not recoil and modest report. They also make fine HD options especially if you have a handgun in the same caliber that uses the same mags.
    Last edited by pirate; November 5th, 2008 at 08:37 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I own several carbines
    Discounting mag capacity, do you like your Hi-Point or your Kel-Tec the best?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Discounting mag capacity, do you like your Hi-Point or your Kel-Tec the best?

I think they both have their strenghts and weaknesses. The Kel Tec is a good deal more expensive as much as $100-125. You can find the HP for less than $200 if you look. They both are relatively accurate for a small short barrel carbine. I have had both out at the range and can hit a steel 2'X2' target at 150 yards with a red dot sight. They both are very effective at quick snap shooting at closer ranges (15-50 yards) since the guns are light and handy with very little recoil.
    The KT folds which is a plus for some. being able to use Hi capacity mags is also a big plus. For leagal/liability reasons HP will not provide HC mags with the HP rifles. Neither of these rifles are "military quality" guns as far as ruggidness and they are made with a lot of plastic parts, but thats why they sell at the price point they do. Another good thing about both is the customer service provided by both companies. HP has a life time warranty and many people have purchased the guns used and sent them back to the factory and HP will refurb the rifles for free, fixing any broken or worn parts. If you go to the Hi Point forum you can read more about this. Kel Tec also is known for VG customer service. and stands behind their products.

If I was forced to pick one I would likely go with the Hi Point because of cost, otherwise they both do what they are made to do at a very resonable price. In a SHTF situation they both would be good HD guns or good truck guns. I have a single point sling I can use for both carbines and they are light enough to carry all day if need be.

Last edited by pirate; November 5th, 2008 at 08:36 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Links