Is this a good deal? AR-15

This is a discussion on Is this a good deal? AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i found a brand new AR-15 in the pawn shop and wondering if its a good deal. i kinda know the guy who builds these ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good deal? AR-15

i found a brand new AR-15 in the pawn shop and wondering if its a good deal. i kinda know the guy who builds these but not terribly well.
    it an LRB lower, dpms parts, DPMS flattop upper, quadrail handguards, green laser, grip pod, 2-30 rd mag, 6x36 iluminated reticle cheap scope, 3 position stock, rubber grip. its $1300

is this an alright deal? im wanting to put it one on layaway to reserve the price before elections. this is the only one i have found with the flattop upper that i like.
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

Mmmmmm...if the scope is valued at around $500?????(Not!).
    ...maybe, others here can give you exact values.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JD
    Administrator
    I'm going to go with NO. $1300 for a parts gun with a cheap scope made by some guy....

Can you clarify the following:

kinda know the guy who builds these but not terribly well.
    Do you:
    A: Not know him terribly well

or

B: he builds them not terribly well

The way it's worded it could go either way.

What kind of quad rail hand guards?

I'd take the $1300, put $900 into a new AR from an actual maker, and put the other $400 into mags and ammunition.

The laser and a cheap scope can be found anywhere.

Just my $.02

BAC
    Er, $50 more can buy you a new Colt 6920. $100 can buy you a new Noveske N4 Light Carbine. Unless this builder works some serious magic, I'm with JD. No deal.

-B

Need more details. If some of the components we're missing details on are very high end, then yes. But most likely NO.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

RIPOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,that gun should be selling for around $800.00 max and the scope is probably not going to maintain a zero.You can build basically the same gun from a kit,and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    I personally would keep right on walking past that rifle.
    Don't get in such a big hurry to buy a rifle that you get yourself shellacked.

Lead Moderator
    Doesn't sound like a good deal. The guns that seem to fail the most are the frankengun AR's .( Pieced together from different makers. )
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'll have to go along with the rest of the folks that have posted. Forget it! To me it's just some shade-tree mechanic living off other people's panic that don't know any better. There's lots of them out there and they cater specifically to the novice...make their profits, and laugh about it. I have my own personal reserved feelings about individuals such as this. They aint part of the team. They will get what's coming to them in the long run.

i dont know the guy very well. i know people who have bought from him before and have never had trouble with their rifles, he is a licensed armorer.

i was looking on gunbroker, the lower is 99 stripped, the upper is 699, the stock is about 75, quadrail is 100, grippod is 50-75, lower parts are 60.
    im up to about 1100.

i now have to justify this to myself......my mom called a minute ago and said she put down a deposit for my bday present on her way to work. i called to see if we could get it back, but there is a 10% restocking fee. i would loose 150 by going somewhere else. i dont know much about AR's yet, still learning and think i just made a mistake. maybe i wont get screwed to bad. im trying to get him to throw in a vltor stock. i hate getting screwed but maybe this will be one of those lessons learned the hard way... any advice?
    Ted Nugent

BAC
    You already committed to buying it? If the cash hasn't been given, and the rifle isn't in your hands, I seriously recommend canceling the buy and considering it a learning lesson. You can build a great quality LMT for less than $1300, including that $150 restocking fee, and if you're not comfortable with your knowledge there are several folks here who'd be more than happy to help.

-B

BAC
    You already committed to buying it? If the cash hasn't been given, and the rifle isn't in your hands, I seriously recommend canceling the buy and considering it a learning lesson. You can build a great quality LMT for less than $1300, including that $150 restocking fee, and if you're not comfortable with your knowledge there are several folks here who'd be more than happy to help.

-B

I would hold on to my money; Go to Gunsamerica.com and register, there are plenty of better deals on brand-new equipment.

For instance: I just bought a DPMS sportical for $625 brand spanking new. i am going to get an Eotech to put on it after chrismas, and a few other goodies, and I guarantee you that I won't spend anything near what you are going to spend for the rifle you are interested in......

Like everybody else advises, keep your options open.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

she put 200 down on it already. im trying to get it back but right now im at work and cant go talk to him in person, over the phone they said it would be a $146 restock fee so i would only get $54 back. ouch
    Ted Nugent

well, i finally got a call back from the manager, they are going to let me put the 200 towards a different rifle, they had a bushmaster A3 for 600 saturday when i was looking, i am going in the morning to see if they still have that one.
    Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links