Pistol Caliber Carbine or not???

This is a discussion on Pistol Caliber Carbine or not??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've wanted a pistol round carbine for years. My nephew and some others say "If you want a rifle - buy a rifle." Meaning a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbine or not???

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Pistol Caliber Carbine or not???

I've wanted a pistol round carbine for years. My nephew and some others say "If you want a rifle - buy a rifle." Meaning a rifle using a rifle round.

I see their point - for more distance mainly - but - any situation I can see where I'd need something more than my handgun would probably never go out more than 100 yards - so I have to wonder what'd be best for me?

Comments \ Opintions \ What caliber you suggest for 100 yards or shorter???
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator

IMHO, if you are going to have the weight and bulk of a carbine, get the power too.

Plus, with the 5.56, you can drop a .22lr conversion kit into it for cheap plink-o-matic fun and less intimidating training for new shooters.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I sure like my CX4 Storm

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I sure like my CX4 Storm
    Does that come in 5.56?
    For God, Family and Country!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Does that come in 5.56?
    No, but 5.56 isn't exactly a pistol caliber.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Pistol round Carbine or not???
    Not. Your Nephew has it right, and not just for distance. When there are so many AR-based 5.56mm options in a lightweight, low-recoil, highly effective platform...(I have to agree with MattLarson) why go with a pistol-caliber?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have a CX4 Storm I bought after Katrina because I
    think the in a SHTF scenario I will not be up against
    hard targets like the military , but soft targets like
    civilians and looter inside of 100 yards
    the 45 cal hand gun rounds can handle that without going
    thou them and traveling for a mile then hitting someone else

also I have a glock in 45 as well and won't need to stockpile
    more rounds of a new cal.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

there is some advantage to being able to use innexpensive expanding hollowpoint ammo through a carbine such as the cx4 or hipoint

heck the hipoint carbine is a nice shooter and can be had for 200$
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'd rather have the ruger camp guns or the marlin camp guns if you can find them. they'll cost twice what a high point will but I want a quality rifle not a
    rifle that's stamped and made as a throw away. I know many of you will say the high point is a great carbine for the money that maybe ,but it's not for me.
    I'll pass until I have a need for one but now my ar 15 ably fulfills all the needs of these types of rifles with style no matter what brand you decide to purchase.
    My choice is a bushmaster

I often think about things like this. The main advantage to pistol claiber carbines as far as I can tell are 1. increased accuracy at longer range than a pistol and 2. interchangeability of ammunition with the handgun. In that vein, I have often said that if I had to head out into no-mans land on foot with only the things I was able to carry with me, I'd be carrying a reliable .22 rifle and .22 revolver. What other combo would allow me to fit 300 rounds in my front pockets and another 1000 in my backpack with no more than 10lbs of added weight??

If you are concerned with minimizing the types of ammo you need on hand or have to carry with you in a pinch, then it is a sensible choice to choose a carbine that matches your pistol caliber. Any of the centerfire carbines, from .38/.357 to 44mag will be sufficient out to 100 yards. Depending on barrel length you may gain several hundred fps of muzzle velocity in a carbine over a pistol.

That being said, I don't personally have a .45, .40.or 9mm carbine. I do have a .357 carbine and think that there are not many civilian scenario situations that would be outside the scope of what I could handle with the combo of the .357 revolver and carbine combined.

Put another way, if I were the type of guy who only cared to have one caliber of firearm to cover all situations that I would likely encounter, I'd be set with that combo. A .357 snubbie or mid-size revolver (or both) for concealed carry and a carbine for zombie hoards, looters and other miscreants that may have to be dealt with at a greater distance in times of rioting or civil unrest would nicely fit the bill, as would any combo in 9mm, .40, .44 .45acp or .45LC. In the semi-auto group I would also insist on interchangeable magazines to further simplify things. Of course, I aint that kinda guy, but none the less I can see where he would be coming from.
    Last edited by sgtD; November 3rd, 2008 at 10:53 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

When I think of defensive, I tend to think mostly indoors or urban situations. I don't care for the .223 or 5.56 in a carbine or shorty. The rounds penetrate walls too easily for home defense. I went with a HK USC .45, just seemed more practical. My 1911 uses the same ammo so it's a good combination. If I need the range of a rifle the 300wsm gets the job done.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I think that getting a pistol caliber rifle is fine. It would be best to have a regular rifle caliber weapon as well, but if the SHTF, having the ability to use 9mm, 40, or 45 in a rifle is great, it gives you more options. But the absolute best reason to get one is that's what you want!

The nice thing about a pistol cal carbine is you can carry one type and size ammo for all your gun needs. Very good choice for someone young or recoil sensitive but still wants many of the positives of a long arm.

I have a Hi Point 40 carbine and it is a blast to shoot.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

My favorite pistol cal carbine is my Thompson. It's accurate, it hits hard, it's cool looking and it has a certain intimidation factor. Plus I look good with it - it fits my heiritage. I also have a 9mm AR - it is fast shooting and accurate out to 100 yards.
    But the best all round carbine is the AR15 M4 platform in 5.56
    They are all good. Try them and buy what you want, what is fun and what you like to shoot! It will be your gun - only you have to like it.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by G96X0 View Post
    When I think of defensive, I tend to think mostly indoors or urban situations. I don't care for the .223 or 5.56 in a carbine or shorty. The rounds penetrate walls too easily for home defense. I went with a HK USC .45, just seemed more practical. My 1911 uses the same ammo so it's a good combination.
    Good .223 or 5.56 personal defense ammo is going to penetrate a lot less than your .45s...

-B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links