Question about the M4

This is a discussion on Question about the M4 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Are the M4/AR-15 and M-16 magazines interchangeable assuming they are for the .223 round? I'm having the darndest time finding 30 round mags for my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about the M4

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question about the M4

Are the M4/AR-15 and M-16 magazines interchangeable assuming they are for the .223 round?

I'm having the darndest time finding 30 round mags for my M4 anywhere. The only thing I can guess is that AR-15 mags work in the M4.

Also where is somewhere online I can get 500 rounds of .223 for about $120-$150?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

They are the same magazine,and I don't think you can find .223 anywhere on line that cheap
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

All of your M16/AR15 5.56/.223 magazines are the same.
    Also where is somewhere online I can get 500 rounds of .223 for about $120-$150?
    Start thinking more around $220-$250 just to start on that. If you search long and hard, you may see something more appealing, but just remember the shipping costs if you buy online.

$139 shipped for 500 Wolf 55gr FMJ at Ammoman

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    $139 shipped for 500 Wolf 55gr FMJ at Ammoman
    Wolf ammo pits your barrel! It also does dammage on your extractor if you fire a lot. so unless you want that stuff to happen, don't buy Wolf. I'm returning 400 rounds right now for the reasons I stated above.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrmydeadbdy View Post
    Wolf ammo pits your barrel! It also does dammage on your extractor if you fire a lot. so unless you want that stuff to happen, don't buy Wolf. I'm returning 400 rounds right now for the reasons I stated above.

I've fired a lot of Wolf ammo through different rifles, and have yet to see any pitting...they use non-corrosive primers, the last time I checked, so I'm interested in how you think it pitted your barrel.

As for the extractors...I think that's a bit overblown. I've got a RIA 1911 with over a thousand rounds of Silver & Brown Bear through it, the extractor is still runnin' fine. My SKS's run nothing but Wolf, and have yet to have a single issue.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I've never had an issue with Wolf. I've put 500 or so rounds thru my AK with no problems. What do you mean by pits in the barrel? Thats one I've never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrmydeadbdy View Post
    How come? Anything to back that up?

you can find commercial reloads for under $200 shipped for 500 rounds.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Wolf ammo is the filthiest ammo made. All ammo is corrosive but Wolf is the worst. I have not had good luck with it, the casings have split in the chamber and have been a ***** to remove. I wouldnt shoot Wolf to save my butt ... literally.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

The steele caseing on the wolf ammo is not as maleable as the brass is. and yes I know of 2 of my buddies that have had to replace their extractors in their AR. Cuda66 and Pro2a, the reason you havn't noticed is because the AK's are not as precisly machined as the AR's.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Extractors are cheap
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Wolf .223 isn't even powerful enough to cycle my Bushmaster 16".
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

What ammo do you recommend that is not a dollar a cartridge but is not bad for the M4? I use Wolf ammo for my AK-47 WASR-10, as a matter of fact I just bought a box of 1000 rounds of Wolf ammo (7.62x39) and some 30 and 40 round mags yesterday from my FFL. I guess the old saying that you can run an AK thru the mud and it still works holds true :)

You can take a look at the Prvi Partizan M193 FMJBT at wideners.com. It's boxer primed, brass case that is supposed to match the M193 specs & have the same muzzle velocity. $71 per pack of 200 (plus shipping), $350 for 1000 (delivered). I bought a 200 pack & my total with shipping was just under $82.

Nick
    Retired FBOP
    NRA Life member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links