Can someone recommend better quality AR-15 take down pins?

This is a discussion on Can someone recommend better quality AR-15 take down pins? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was field stripping my AR-15 (M&P15) and somehow the front take down pin broke. Now I need replacements. Can anyone recommend some better quality ...

Thread: Can someone recommend better quality AR-15 take down pins?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Can someone recommend better quality AR-15 take down pins?

I was field stripping my AR-15 (M&P15) and somehow the front take down pin broke. Now I need replacements. Can anyone recommend some better quality ones that don't break as easily? Thanks in advance!

If you must know how it broke, I accidentally dropped the lower on the carpet.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I don't think you are going to find "better " pins. I have never heard of a parts kit upgrade advertising stronger pins. I think it is better the pin broke than the lower itself .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Ok thanks. I feel pretty dumb right now.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Lead Moderator
    Well, stuff happens. No big deal. Any spare parts kit containing pins should work for you. Here for nice tutorial of building your lower. AR15.COM :: Forums :: Build It Yourself
    In case you want instructions how to with the replacement pin.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Yup, the pin is much cheaper and simpler to replace then a new lower receiver!

Here is a video tutorial from Brownells showing exactly what you need to do. You may need a new spring and detent too if they got lost so be sure to check:

Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools

the whole build is interesting and useful:

Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools

did the pin break or did it pull out too far and launch the detent and spring into space?
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Dare I ask what manufacturer AR-15 you have? If you called Bushmaster, they'd get one out to you tomorrow. I lost some springs and detents here a while back putting on a rear sling adapter on mine. Gave them the serial number and had parts three days later. I don't actually seeing the pin breaking, but I could see the hole in the receiver cracking. The springs and detents are cheap...I agree, go with Brownell's for replacements.

take this question to ar15.com

better knowlege base about the ar

When the lower hit the floor, the front pin broke. I ended up buying a new pin and detent spring from a local store. I am glad the receiver itself didn't break, after all it did land on a semi-soft surface LOL!

Links