The Role of the Truck Gun - Page 2

The Role of the Truck Gun

This is a discussion on The Role of the Truck Gun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd go with a lever action M94 30-30 carbine OR a wood stocked Mini-14. I might keep a wood stocked semiauto 12 ga slug gun ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Role of the Truck Gun

I'd go with a lever action M94 30-30 carbine OR a wood stocked Mini-14. I might keep a wood stocked semiauto 12 ga slug gun too. Maybe behind the seat or in a rack.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Win '94 in 30-30 is so common in Texas that nobody would give you any grief in rural Texas--After all, it's ALWAYS open season on hogs. It may not be as fast on the followup shot as the Mini-14, AR, SKS, or AK, but the lever is still darn quick and VERY reliable. Why would you carry a long gun in a pistol caliber if you can carry the same gun in a good rifle cartridge like 30-30. You won't be making any 300yd shots, and will most likely still have your concealed weapon.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Mini-30's are quite popular with the ranchers and farmers as well. Ammunition is easy to come by also...the upside is that it's not a "black" gun.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Well realize if I get stranded, the most likely outcome is I wait 30 minutes or less and flag someone down, and ask them to call the police when they get to a town with some phone service, or maybe if I'm lucky they'll have some satellite based form of communication.

I'm planning for the worst "This likely ain't gonna happen but I don't wanna be standing out here like an idiot if it does" scenario.

I keep my vehicle in good repair (costs me but I do) and carry spares and whatnot, but I plan for the worst.

RE: .30-.30: I will get me a thuddy thuddy one day because I like leverguns, but honestly, for the sub 100 yard distances I like to use these guns for, .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum get enough boost out of the longer barrels that it's darn near the same thing.

You have to realize that .357 Magnum especially, and to a lesser extent .44 Magnum, really shine out of a carbine. It's not like a service caliber carbine, these rounds really gain a lot of velocity and power in a long barrel.

A typical 240 grain .44 Magnum load is not something I can control at combat speeds in a revolver at all, but in my rifle it's entirely manageable. Not to mention, even with those old buckhorn sights, I shoot a lot better with a long gun than I do with a handgun and I guess I always will.

I count on .40 S&W out of a little bitty pistol to save my life, why should I fear a bigger, more powerful round out of a superior firing platform? .44 Magnum out of a rifle is in another class entirely.

A handgun is really a pretty crappy weapon to pick when you know there's a possibly dangerous situation afoot. The 1894 is a big step up. Granted it's still not a .30-30, but take that FWIW.

get ya a Beretta Storm in 40 call Euc it would be a good truck gun .. And with a slight mod the beretta mags work in the Xd's

Granted not a wood stocked gun but nice and light my 9mm storm is a fun gun

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    If you are looking for a truck gun that can also be pretty stealthy, I would suggest a kel-tec sub2000.
    http://www.kel-tec.com/prod03.htm

I can hear the groans all ready

They are cheap (around $275+ gun shop/show price) and reliable, meaning they go bang everytime. The 9mm can be configured to accept all glock 17,18 (33rounds),19 magazines and if you also carry a 9mm glock then those same magazines will fit your handgun. I believe they come configured in sig, berreta and S&W magazines besides glock. The carbine folds up to about 16"x7" so you could throw it in a backpack pretty easily. Its weighs 4lbs unloaded. You can also get it in .40. It is good out to 50-100 yards.

I know it isn't a rifle cartridge or something that is very high quality, but for me I think it has its place as something that can be easy to carry, cheap to purchase and very versatile with ammo and magazines with the right handgun.

I carry a Glock 26 and think it would be perfect to have one in my jeep. In CO we can carry any rifle/shotgun as long as there isn't a cartridge in the chamber. Loaded mag in the gun is OK.
    Last edited by High Altitude; January 6th, 2006 at 12:37 AM.

Actually the Kel-Tec sub-2000 is a SUPERB idea. I had one in 9mm a few years ago and loved it. Traded it for a Beretta M92 and always regretted it. I already have a couple of the aftermarket Scherer hi-cap 29rd mags for my Glock M27, they are what transforms my little Glock to a good truck gun. This would be even better. And I would have cross platform compatability in mags.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

If they'd just make them work with XD magazines I'd really really want one of those.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    i own a ranch in colorado , in our area the sks has become the modern winchester 94, i mean you cant swing a dead liberal without hitting a half dozen of em , and no one thinks any thing of someone with an sks and i shure would not feel undergunned with one ( tho i do love my fal) lol

Aim surplus has some neat really short Mosin Nagant carbines that are certainly powerful enough, and I hear they are pretty reliable.

And if someone steals it, you won't cry like if someone snatches your AR.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links