Defensive Carry banner

The Role of the Truck Gun

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Lawrence Keeney 
#1 ·
Yeah I know we've been over this before, but it's been on my mind lately.

I'm traveling often now through some rural spots... luckily I'm not out in far West Texas or other places where the towns get to be literally a couple hundred miles apart, but the fact is I'm often about 30-40 miles from anywhere that even has a gas station, and a lot of the places I go through have nothing in the way of cellular phone coverage. You can make all the calls you want to, but you won't connect anywhere.

I pack accordingly with emergency food water etc. Realistically, the worst that could likely happen is I get stuck at some weird hour and have to wait 8-9 hours at most before people start driving through and I can flag someone down for help. However, I also plan on the possibility I may simply have to hoof it to the next wide spot in the road 40 miles away. Most realistic worst case scenario, more or less.

So it's not like you'd pack up for a really isolated place like far West Texas or Montana or Alaska, etc., but it's worthy of consideration to be prepared.

Part of my preparations includes the Truck Gun. Luckily the parts of Texas I am worried about don't really have a lot of aggressive animals, but rabid ones are always a concern and I don't know anyone who has lived here all their life and not seen one atypical example of an aggressive coyote. By nature most of these animals are cowards who will flee humans, but it'd be just my luck I'd meet the one that won't.

There's nothing that terribly large however. A 9mm pistol would actually take care of anything, but I prefer something that makes me feel better. An ideal cartridge would be either a powerful pistol cartridge fired from a carbine, or a light rifle round like a .30-30.

Animals ain't my only concern either. I drove the route yesterday, and counted three drifters. Duffel bag on the back, ragged clothes, haven't showered since who knows when... you know the type. One was near a town but the others were in the middle of nowhere trying to hitch hike. They looked harmless enough I suppose (they looked like potheads), but looks mean nothing.

I guess it's just the cold heartless bastard in me, but if I ever do break down out there and meet one of these guys on my trek, I want to be holding an obvious and reasonably powerful weapon. I don't want to hurt anyone, but I want to make it obvious I don't wish to speak to them.

I've used an SKS, my 1894, and will probably try my GP WASR out in this role as well since it's so easy to carry. I don't want to use a terribly expensive gun in this role.

There is the issue a sheriff's patrol car might see some guy in his early 20s trekking around with a gun along the side of the road, but here's what can happen there:

1. They stop and I explain the situation and I get help. Hooray. They might take the gun but that's just fine if they do. It got me to safety its job is done, and I'd most likely get it back at some point anyway because I'd have a good attitude about it and the last time I check it's not illegal to simply carry a rifle. Most likely outcome considering I'd be trying to flag them down.

2. They see me flagging them down and just think I'm a ranch hand looking for varmints and that I am being friendly, and keep on driving.

I have considered being a little more low key, which is my I currently use the Marlin. Its presence in a West Texas or Central Texas pickup truck is not noted. The AK47 clone may be a bit much though.

Too much preparation, not enough, just right, what say you?

Wish I had OnStar. Would make this situation much better.

See less See more
#2 ·
A PC friendly gun may be the way to go. Low key, less unwanted attention for others passing by. If they see you with a AK they may be less prone to stop and offer assistance. The biggest problem I see is walking ointo town with a long gun. Here in MI folks would be fearfull I imagine , If I walked into a business with a long gun. Best way I figure is near town break down the gun and pack it in a non descript bag.

#3 ·
I do have a bag for that very purpose that would hide any of these. Two of these small towns have gunstores in them however, and people hunt various things there year round. I could likely stuff it in a case and not get so much as a glance.

The good news is that the further west I go, the more gun tolerant these people are. A couple of the small towns I go through survive almost entirely off of deer hunting.

You are probably right about keeping the rifle "normal" looking though.

#4 ·
AK, SKS etc are the more ideal with regard to versatility but regarding the appearance deal - then lever is pretty much the only platform which will not risk getting a hostile approach from folks.

The whole profile of a '94 says, hunting, low-key self protection etc ......... the others sadly have the ''assault'' label and so are perceived by so many as nothing less than that - bada$$ guns.

I know which I'd prefer in a crisis tho!

#5 ·
Howz 'bout something similar to my wifes hog gun. A NEF(H&R) single shot .45-70(or one of their other cals). Used probably under $150.Have the bbl chopped to 16" and the Ryanite(or wood) stock cut down to 13" LOP. When broken down(one screw) it fits into a very narrow 17" package. When assembled and with the proper load it will kill anything in N. America,includeing gate locks, and vech radiators/engines.-----

#6 ·
RSSZ I'm always on the lookout for a used Handirifle in .45-70 and a couple of other calibers just in case one ever pops up. They represent tremendous values when you get them at used gun prices.

I have a NEF Pardner single shot 12 gauge that is a hoot. It was $40 with considerable rust on the muzzle. I cut it down to 18.5" and filed it off smooth and uniform. If I actually used it for much I'd have it recrowned and threaded for a choke.

#7 ·
10-4, same here. Used 12ga. for(IIRC) $60. No rust but not taken care of either. I cut the bbl to 18.25" and recrowned (turned in my neighbor's lathe).Only time it's carried is just before hog season, while scouting in the deep river swamp. I carry 3rds of trip "O" buck(3") and 5-6 rds of my #8 shot handloads(for snakes). We have both Cottonmouths and Diamondbacks here in NW Fla. and they absolutely love our hot,steamy, river swamps. For these purposes the little NEF's are great. I'll tell ya,the .45-70 version will handle an extremely hot charge of powder and being a single shot you can seat them big ol' bullets waaaay out. ---------

#8 ·
I keep a scoped FAL in the trunk and a bandolier of eight loaded magazines. Call me paranoid, but I realized after my last "need a firearm" moment that I didn't want to compromise on something I didn't want to have. That's an argument I'd rather not have with myself if I don't have to.

If I go seriously out of town or am out for long spells at night, the AR with night vision comes with. I'm not a 223 fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd rather see at night and it gets mighty dark out this way.

#9 ·
The ironic thing is, rfurtkamp, that when I complete my AR build project, I'll have an evil black gun whose presence won't be completely unheard of as long as I had some kind of scope on it. The caliber/platform is nigh useless for any sort of recreational hunting out here, but an awful lot of people use .223, .243, 7mm08 etc. for varmint control. Most ranchers just keep an old bolt gun stashed in a vehicle where it's not in the way, but I've met three who use an AR15 platform.

#15 ·
Eucl - I'm in Palo Pinto county, so it's pretty close to your area. Like you, I spend a lot of time on the local roads, and had to make the same decisions that you are considering. One of the first things that I discovered was that although the vast majority of the locals are a friendly, helpful lot, they are also very suspicious of strangers, especially city dwellers, and they know nearly everybody. If stranded, I'd suggest staying by your car until someone stops to offer aid. Walking down the road carrying any long gun could find yourself getting to meet a very irate rancher (and being of the younger generation isn't a plus). We're both on the main route of drugs/illegals transport area, so the truck gun is a MUST. I chose to truck what the locals do. You won't see any fancy guns in their vehicles. In addition to my normal carry, I carry a Makarov(9X18) in the door, a Mini14 on the floorboard, and an old beat up 12 Gage Express behind the seat. Any will turn a hog, dog or BG away, and they won't draw attention.

#16 ·
I'd go with a lever action M94 30-30 carbine OR a wood stocked Mini-14. I might keep a wood stocked semiauto 12 ga slug gun too. Maybe behind the seat or in a rack.

#17 ·
Win '94 in 30-30 is so common in Texas that nobody would give you any grief in rural Texas--After all, it's ALWAYS open season on hogs. It may not be as fast on the followup shot as the Mini-14, AR, SKS, or AK, but the lever is still darn quick and VERY reliable. Why would you carry a long gun in a pistol caliber if you can carry the same gun in a good rifle cartridge like 30-30. You won't be making any 300yd shots, and will most likely still have your concealed weapon.

#19 ·
Well realize if I get stranded, the most likely outcome is I wait 30 minutes or less and flag someone down, and ask them to call the police when they get to a town with some phone service, or maybe if I'm lucky they'll have some satellite based form of communication.

I'm planning for the worst "This likely ain't gonna happen but I don't wanna be standing out here like an idiot if it does" scenario.

I keep my vehicle in good repair (costs me but I do) and carry spares and whatnot, but I plan for the worst.

RE: .30-.30: I will get me a thuddy thuddy one day because I like leverguns, but honestly, for the sub 100 yard distances I like to use these guns for, .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum get enough boost out of the longer barrels that it's darn near the same thing.

You have to realize that .357 Magnum especially, and to a lesser extent .44 Magnum, really shine out of a carbine. It's not like a service caliber carbine, these rounds really gain a lot of velocity and power in a long barrel.

A typical 240 grain .44 Magnum load is not something I can control at combat speeds in a revolver at all, but in my rifle it's entirely manageable. Not to mention, even with those old buckhorn sights, I shoot a lot better with a long gun than I do with a handgun and I guess I always will.

I count on .40 S&W out of a little bitty pistol to save my life, why should I fear a bigger, more powerful round out of a superior firing platform? .44 Magnum out of a rifle is in another class entirely.

A handgun is really a pretty crappy weapon to pick when you know there's a possibly dangerous situation afoot. The 1894 is a big step up. Granted it's still not a .30-30, but take that FWIW.

#21 · (Edited)
If you are looking for a truck gun that can also be pretty stealthy, I would suggest a kel-tec sub2000.
http://www.kel-tec.com/prod03.htm

I can hear the groans all ready :smile:

They are cheap (around $275+ gun shop/show price) and reliable, meaning they go bang everytime. The 9mm can be configured to accept all glock 17,18 (33rounds),19 magazines and if you also carry a 9mm glock then those same magazines will fit your handgun. I believe they come configured in sig, berreta and S&W magazines besides glock. The carbine folds up to about 16"x7" so you could throw it in a backpack pretty easily. Its weighs 4lbs unloaded. You can also get it in .40. It is good out to 50-100 yards.

I know it isn't a rifle cartridge or something that is very high quality, but for me I think it has its place as something that can be easy to carry, cheap to purchase and very versatile with ammo and magazines with the right handgun.

I carry a Glock 26 and think it would be perfect to have one in my jeep. In CO we can carry any rifle/shotgun as long as there isn't a cartridge in the chamber. Loaded mag in the gun is OK.

#22 ·
Actually the Kel-Tec sub-2000 is a SUPERB idea. I had one in 9mm a few years ago and loved it. Traded it for a Beretta M92 and always regretted it. I already have a couple of the aftermarket Scherer hi-cap 29rd mags for my Glock M27, they are what transforms my little Glock to a good truck gun. This would be even better. And I would have cross platform compatability in mags.

#24 ·
i own a ranch in colorado , in our area the sks has become the modern winchester 94, i mean you cant swing a dead liberal without hitting a half dozen of em , and no one thinks any thing of someone with an sks and i shure would not feel undergunned with one ( tho i do love my fal) lol

#25 ·
Aim surplus has some neat really short Mosin Nagant carbines that are certainly powerful enough, and I hear they are pretty reliable.

And if someone steals it, you won't cry like if someone snatches your AR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.