AR Questions

This is a discussion on AR Questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think I'll give in and buy an AR. I was going to buy one next year after taxes came back....but I'm going to get ...

Thread: AR Questions

AR Questions

I think I'll give in and buy an AR. I was going to buy one next year after taxes came back....but I'm going to get it a little early just in case.

I've shot one AR. It was a .223 Bushmaster, nothing fancy about it....So I don't know too much about them.

What should I look for in an AR? .223 and 5.56 are interchangeable right? I'm finding lots of 'pre ban' ARs from the early 90s, is there anything different about the old ones and the brand new ones?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    I think I'll give in and buy an AR. I was going to buy one next year after taxes came back....but I'm going to get it a little early just in case.

I've shot one AR. It was a .223 Bushmaster, nothing fancy about it....So I don't know too much about them.

What should I look for in an AR? .223 and 5.56 are interchangeable right? I'm finding lots of 'pre ban' ARs from the early 90s, is there anything different about the old ones and the brand new ones?
    Most AR's are stamped 556 - 223. You really don't want to run 556 in 223 only stamped guns (i.e. Ruger Mini 14's) or other bolt guns stamped .223.

If you stay with a common reliable manufacture
    Bushy
    Rock
    Stag
    etc.... You should be fine then the choice comes down to accesories you want and configuration.

Ultimately, on what to buy right now is what animal/logo do you want on your AR reciever.

Snake from Bushmaster.
    Deer from Stag
    Bat from doublestar
    ETC....

If you really want ultimate top of the line then your looking at a Noveske, LWRC, Larue (spelling), Sabre, and some other custom guns. Prepare to spend in the upwards of $2,000
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

S&W M&P15 is currently a well-regarded option as well. I'm delighted with a parts-gun I build over time (Stag lower, RRA upper, Jewel Trigger, etc., etc.) but like Rob99 says above, stick with the main-stream manufacturers and it'a hard to go wrong. Until something (legally) changes or you plan to be a "collector" (of sorts) there no advantage to "pre-ban" vs. "post-ban"
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

BAC
    I highly recommend using the forum's search feature. There have been a bunch of topics dedicated to this lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Most AR's are stamped 556 - 223. You really don't want to run 556 in 223 only stamped guns (i.e. Ruger Mini 14's) or other bolt guns stamped .223.
    Except that several companies might stamp 5.56 on their barrel but not have a rifle chambered in that caliber. RRA and a few others use Wylde chambers, for instance. Others simply have rifles chambered in .223 but list as 5.56 NATO.

If you really want ultimate top of the line then your looking at a Noveske, LWRC, Larue (spelling), Sabre, and some other custom guns. Prepare to spend in the upwards of $2,000
    Nonsense. You can buy/build an LMT for under $1200. New Noveske N4s run at $1400 and can often be had for less. Colt and Sabre Defense run about $1350. When you start getting into specialty builds, like the LaRue Stealth, the Noveskes with stainless barrels, etc., then yes, you can hit $2k fairly easily.

-B

If the gun in question is not going to Iraq or A-Stan, then I'd say you'll be well covered by a rifle from most any of the commercial manufacturers, such as Bushy, RRA, Stag, etc.

Here's a great reference to get you familiarized with some of the different features/benefits associated with black rifles.

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I

Nonsense. You can buy/build an LMT for under $1200. New Noveske N4s run at $1400 and can often be had for less. Colt and Sabre Defense run about $1350. When you start getting into specialty builds, like the LaRue Stealth, the Noveskes with stainless barrels, etc., then yes, you can hit $2k fairly easily.

-B
    A base model sure from those companies can range from 1G-1.5G's
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, but yes thats what I'm talking about in their top of the line guns being in the upwards of 2K.

LWRC SRT IIRC is in the upwards of 1,800 plus tax tags and title fees. Not to mention its about a 14 week wait. If you want one earlier than that your probably going to pay a premium.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    A base model sure from those companies can range from 1G-1.5G's
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, but yes thats what I'm talking about in their top of the line guns being in the upwards of 2K.
    The only one of those that is a "base model" is the Noveske N4 Light Carbine, which as a "base model" can still outperform most other rifles out there. The prices I listed for the Colt, LMT, and Sabre Defense are for standard rifles as well, all of which are likewise capable of performing up to working rifle standards.

broknindarkagain, what role do you want the rifle to fill, and what kind of budget are you willing to work with?

An ADS 16" midlength upper, LaRue BUIS, Anvil Arms stripped receiver, M4 stock kit from Cactus Tactical, and CMT/Stag lower parts kit from Riflegear.com would net you a pretty good rifle for $925 plus shipping/transfer fee. Or just get the whole ADS rifle (plus one Pmag) and LaRue BUIS for $990 plus transfer fee. A similar LMT build would get you up to $990 plus shipping/transfer fee. Point is, you can get some good shooters for under $1k.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    broknindarkagain, what role do you want the rifle to fill, and what kind of budget are you willing to work with?
    I'm trying to work under a grand here, and I know with an AR thats not impossible.

I've been looking on ar15-kits.com at some of their kits. Would this be a good way to go, it seems like it would be a bit cheaper than just outright buying one.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

BAC
    I listed three examples of rifles that would total less than a grand, to give you a starting point. S&W M&P15s can also be had for under a grand and supposedly offer a rebate (I've never really looked, so I'm not positive), and they aren't bad at all.

Rifle kits are questionable concerning quality. Yes, they might make a functioning rifle for considerably less, but I've never heard of them actually performing well in circumstances harder than simple bench-rest shooting and none are known for their overall durability. Depending on what you want to do with the rifle, this may matter to you or it may not. I'm of the opinion that any rifle you buy ought to be one you can trust to defend yourself with, so I shy away from kits. As they say, your mileage may vary.

-B

you get what you pay for

you can get either a kit or a complete weapon for under 1000 but you do get what you pay for, i bought my son an s&w m&p ar with nothing to compare it to it seemed good enough, soon we saw and fired other ar's, soon after that we sold the s&w to get noveskes, the difference is night and day, the noveskes are the difference between training wheels and finally letting go and riding yourself, go to ar15.com they will educate you, this is not the right sirte to learn about ars, the info i saw earlier although somewhat correct, you can get a wealth of info from them, and learn to build that ar for close to 1000, wont be as good as a noveske, but will be more weapon than you need.

Right now, Gunsamerica shows Stag, Bushy, DPMS, and RRA rifles for under a dime.

Links