Shotgun--intimidation!

This is a discussion on Shotgun--intimidation! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What reasonably priced shotgun would you recommend for home defense and maximum intimidation? The intimidation factor is especially important, as I have a quite stunning ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun--intimidation!

Shotgun--intimidation!

What reasonably priced shotgun would you recommend for home defense and maximum intimidation? The intimidation factor is especially important, as I have a quite stunning looking young teenage daughter at home.

I don't really want to hurt anyone. But I might need to scare the beejeebers out of possible would-be suitors.

I try to buy American.
    The hand of the aggressor is stayed by strength and strength alone!--Dwight D. Eisenhower

2. Remove Ads

BAC
    Anything black. You said "reasonably priced", otherwise I'd have said Benelli M4.

A Remington 870 of any flavor would work, I guess, with all black furniture. Maybe a side-saddle.

-B

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadcenter View Post
    I don't really want to hurt anyone. But I might need to scare the beejeebers out of possible would-be suitors.

I try to buy American.
    Yikes...if a father pointed a shotgun at my son to try to "scare" him while he was visiting...I'd have up on charges. A shotgun for home defense is one thing...to try to scare someone is criminal.

Rick

Get a Maverick 88 by Mossberg. It has a saftey like the 870, on trigger guard. holds i belive 5 in the tube and 1 in the chamber and it's only about 150$.

The fear sets in when you rack a round into the chamber, unmistakable sound!!

Visiting is one thing. Climbing in through the window in the wee hours is another. Who says it has to be loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Yikes...if a father pointed a shotgun at my son to try to "scare" him while he was visiting...I'd have up on charges. A shotgun for home defense is one thing...to try to scare someone is criminal.

Rick
    The hand of the aggressor is stayed by strength and strength alone!--Dwight D. Eisenhower

BAC

Rick
    Nonsense. He never said he'd be pointing it at them.

Cleaning this Gun

-B

BAC, exactly. Besides, shotguns are a part of everyday life in my neck of the woods.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

sorry but

IMHO one should never contemplate any weapon as primarily a scare tactic. It should only be brought to bear when you fully intend to pull the trigger. You will find yourself in deep doggy dodo at the very least and having dinner at the pleasure of the state at the worst. I’m not saying that a bad looking weapon does not trump a cute gun. But to choose a gun by its ability to scare a teenage hormone driven boy is a recipe for a life without parole
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I'd use it for home defense if I had to.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Visiting is one thing. Climbing in through the window in the wee hours is another. Who says it has to be loaded?
    Who says the window has to be open...and regardless, I would assume someone climbing through my window as meaning to cause harm to may family, thus self-defense. I wouldn't "scare" them.

Nonsense BAC??...check the laws. I doubt someone will be "intimidated" if the shotgun is in the closet or up on a rack. You pump in an effort to scare is a threat...and arrestable.

Rick

What reasonably priced shotgun would you recommend for home defense and maximum intimidation? The intimidation factor is especially important, as I have a quite stunning looking young teenage daughter at home.

I try to buy American.
    A 12 gauge should be intimidation for any normal young man with any brains.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Unlawful entry with intent to commit a felony falls under the castle doctrine in my state.

I'd use it for home defense if I had to.
    Then why the need for "maximum intimidation" ?
    If I owned a shotgun and if I had to deploy it, I'd want to be as stealth as possible.
    A intimidation pump just let's the BG know where I'm at and what I was going to use against him.
    I'd think a nice Browning Citori O/U with both field barrels hot would get the home defense job done.

VIP Member

Yikes squared

Rick
    I am quite certain that one reason my sister in-law never married was her dad's attitude toward any young man.

A better approach than preparing to "scare" the suitors is to educate your daughter about social responsibility, good judgment, and situational awareness. Educate her to detect unacceptable signals of aggression, intimidation, control, fibbing, drinking, drug use, poor school grades.

A shotgun at home is a good idea, but it should not be thought of as a means to protect your daughter from her boy friends.

BAC
    Who says the window has to be open...and regardless, I would assume someone climbing through my window as meaning to cause harm to may family, thus self-defense. I wouldn't "scare" them.

Nonsense BAC??...check the laws. I doubt someone will be "intimidated" if the shotgun is in the closet or up on a rack. You pump in an effort to scare is a threat...and arrestable.

Rick
    Are you saying you've never had the pleasure of visiting a girl's home with her dad conveniently cleaning the shotgun? Have you never had to chase away hoodlums from your daughter because they seemed to have a different definition of "No" than your daughter?

Before you tell me to check the laws, you might want to make sure you can show me that what was being suggested is illegal in the first place. You are the only one who has described any action remotely threatening, as the original poster certainly hasn't. There's not a thing wrong with having a conversation with someone and cleaning a firearm at the same time. You learn a bit about someone, too. Are they a gun person? Do they understand the implications of crossing the line the daughter sets? Are they afraid, or watchful? I think you're overthinking this, Rick.

-B

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links