Any Thoughts On This Remington?

This is a discussion on Any Thoughts On This Remington? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; recently i have been looking into another remmy 700, and i have decided i would really like to have a heavy barrel and detachable magazine ...

Thread: Any Thoughts On This Remington?

recently i have been looking into another remmy 700, and i have decided i would really like to have a heavy barrel and detachable magazine and synthetic stock. the only rifle i can find that doesn't seem to have a strange looking stock is the remington 700 sps tactical:

http://www.snipercentral.com/images/reviews/spst4.jpg

i like this rifle but it is only available in .223 and .308 ( witch may not be a problem as i am considering .308 anyways).

i have read the above review and they claim sub .5 moa accuracy, but i found a few others that state remington's standard is 1.5 - 2 moa at 100yrds. now i don't plan on doing any competition with this rifle, but i will not buy any bolt action rifle that will not shoot at least 1 moa at 100yrds.

mainly what i am looking for is personal experience from anyone who has it. or has heard good or bad about this rifle.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

2. Remove Ads

Remington's standard would be for their majority of production rifles. The SPS tactical would be a grade above the average, and more than likely with a special bedding block and other accuracy enhancing improvements. Having the HB will also help in that department.
    i have read the above review and they claim sub .5 moa accuracy, but i found a few others that state remington's standard is 1.5 - 2 moa at 100yrds. now i don't plan on doing any competition with this rifle, but i will not buy any bolt action rifle that will not shoot at least 1 moa at 100yrds.
    You're talking about two different rifles from Remington...one is a cut above the standard.
    I only have one model 700, and it's a varminter HB in 22-250. Mine puts them all in one hole at 100yd. I also handload for it.

well by "a few others" i meant other sources, not rifles, these sources stated that all rifles, no matter if they are tagged as "tactical" "varmint" or anything else that would imply that they may be held to a higher standard, are actually held to the same 1.5-2 moa standard.

i know that this will not be the case with all rifles, and it in fact may be just a few peoples opinions, but i wanted to get a little more input from sources i have come to trust.

i already own a model 700 ADL in .270 for deer hunting, and it is well below 1.5 to 2 moa. even with 3-4 year old cheap Federal psp ammo, i can keep all holes touching at 100 yards (haven't tried any premium ammo, as this performance is more than sufficient for my hunting needs)

but i wanted to get a little more input from sources i have come to trust.
    My apologies.

I believe the person that can answer your questions is GECKO45,A well respected person in his chosen profession of high level tactical security at one of Americas largest malls
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Mr. Orange:

I owned a Remington 700 PSS in .308. It shot .75 moa on a good day with high quality ammo. I sold it and purchased a Remington Milspec 5R in .308. Now this rifle was a true .50 moa rifle with quality ammo...the thing would just plain shoot. It's not nearly as visually pleasing...because of the stainless finish and dark green / black stock....but it is a mighty fine shooter right out of the box. Most reports I've read from other Milspec owners...have very similar results.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Currently my Milspec is receiving a makeover...going to be a .260 A.I. with full accurizing work done to her. Looking for it to be more of a 1000 yard BR rig...my first step in that direction anyway.

Senior Moderator
    Most bolt actions will shoot 1 MOA or less with the right ammo right out of the box.

I own several black rifles,and all of them will shoot.

One thing to know though, is that unless you have a target grade scope is that most scope crosshairs will cover 1 inch at 100 yards. Getting much more accuracy than that is difficult without a rock solid rest and a sight picture that is repeatable.

I've known several shooters over the years that buy whatever ammo is on sale at Walmart, put an el cheapo 4 power scope on their bolt action rifle and swear up and down that it was worthless because the best it would do at 100 yards is two inches.

As most reloaders know, fine tuning ammunition for a particular gun can make it perform much better than standard ammo. Some rifles like specific bullets, some like different powder, some shoot better at slower speeds, some shoot better at higher speeds, some shoot better with bullets long seated, others like them .010 off the lands, there are a multitude of things to consider.

The detachable mags, 5 or 10 shot can be purchased and added on from several companies. My guns all sport HS Precision stocks and that is what I use when I build one. I personally like Shilen match grade barrels and have had exellent results with them.

What ever you do, dont make the mistake of having a great rifle with a mediocre scope, that is the most common mistake that people make. A good rifle with good glass can be a joy to shoot. A good rifle with cheap glass will never achieve its full potential.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Amen HotGuns!! Well stated. Should state I shoot my groups mainly from the bench or prone with a bipod and squeeze bag. And the best optics I can afford..NightForce and IOR. Also handloads or top quality factory ammo like Blackhills gold ammo.

Wayne

VIP Member
    The Rem 700 is widely regarded to be the most accurate (non custom)platform out there. I'd buy it and if it doesn't shoot well then see a smith. My guess is it will shoot great out of the box.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

thank you everyone for the information and suggestions. i think i am pretty well set on this rifle now, just going to have to start putting the money away for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    My apologies.
    i believe i worded my last post in the wrong manner, or perhaps you took it as i didn't intend. there is no need to apologize, i was referring to all members of this community, you included, as trusted sources.

and by more input, i meant that i wanted something other than the other sites i had visited.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mr. orange View Post
    recently i have been looking into another remmy 700, and i have decided i would really like to have a heavy barrel and detachable magazine and synthetic stock. the only rifle i can find that doesn't seem to have a strange looking stock is the remington 700 sps tactical:

http://www.snipercentral.com/images/reviews/spst4.jpg

i like this rifle but it is only available in .223 and .308 ( witch may not be a problem as i am considering .308 anyways).

mainly what i am looking for is personal experience from anyone who has it. or has heard good or bad about this rifle.
    Had a older one from the 90's and it was sub-moa with my match ammo. Stock was HS stock. Nice weapon.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Links