.223 Ammo

This is a discussion on .223 Ammo within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got a new Bushmaster and I've read that some .223 ammo cases are bad for rifles. I was wondering what others use at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 Ammo

.223 Ammo

I just got a new Bushmaster and I've read that some .223 ammo cases are bad for rifles. I was wondering what others use at the range, thats all I will be using this rifle for, just fun shooting. So I'm looking for the cheapest ammo that y'all recommend.
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Your Bushmaster is chambered for 5.56 ammunition. Using .223 factory ammo in it will be fine. I've been doing it for years. It's using 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber that may cause issues. You won't have anything to worry about with your Bushmaster. Congratulations on your new rifle by the way!

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    What I have heard is that having a chromed barrel protects against this damage, and that if you have one you can use any ammo. My Bushmaster has a chromed barrel...does yours?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Yes it does, but I had heard something about the ammunition brass, that it needs to be a certain kind or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    NRA Member

I guess my real question is what .223 or 5.56 ammo do y'all use in you're AR's at the range? I'm looking for cheap, descent, ammo I can buy in bulk. I've looked at some called "Brown Bear" but I don't know anything about .223 ammo.
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I think he's talking about Wolf.

You'll get opinions of all kinds on Wolf ammo.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I think he's talking about Wolf.

You'll get opinions of all kinds on Wolf ammo.
    Thats for sure, here's mine ... "I hate Wolf ammo". I buy Winchester White Box ammo from Walmart, its about the cheapest production ammo you can buy when they have it. Shoot FMJ until your Bushy is broken in per the manual. The Winchester is much cleaner than the Wolf ammo and less corrosive. I dont like the steel casings of the Wolf, I've had several casings split and lock into the bore of my Bushmaster. YMMV

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Personally, I've never used Wolf ammo in anything but my 10/22's and those are target match. I've never had any issues with current or past production brass cased factory ammunition in .223 or 5.56.

Well I'll make sure I don't buy Wolf, but I was talking about another brand called "Brown Bear" and was wondering if y'all know anything about it.

Ammunition To Go : 1000rds - 223 Brown Bear 55gr FMJ Ammo [ab223fmj55] - $224.95

Also should I use brass or steel case ammunition?
    NRA Member

Well I'll make sure I don't buy Wolf, but I was talking about another brand called "Brown Bear" and was wondering if y'all know anything about it.
    I've seen plenty of that locally. I wouldn't think twice about using something like that in my AK47, but my AR15 is a bit tighter, and more of an investment than the AK for me. I've used 'Silver Bear' ammo in my AK. In my opinion (again), I won't be using anything other than brass cased, boxer primed ammo in my AR15 if at all possible. That's just me though.

What are some examples of brass cased, boxer primed ammo?
    NRA Member

Brass cased ammo is from all the major manufacturers (winchester, remmington, federal, horanady, ect).
    If the brown bear ammo says that it is laquered at all then I would suggest staying away from it. Wolf, in my opinion is fine in an AR. It is almost all that I shoot through all of my guns and I havent had trouble with it. The only thing I would watch out for is mixing brass and steel in a shooting session. I had a couple stuck cases when I did that when I first got the rifle. I only shoot wolf now because is is way cheaper. My cousin at one point bought about 40,000 rounds of Wolf ammo to shoot in his full automatic rifle and as far as I know he never had trouble with it either. I think the trouble with wolf was that it used to be laquered and would build up goop and cases would get stuck. The new wolf isnt laquered.
    Hope this helps.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

I've found that the (former) Com-Bloc surplus (Wolf, silver, golden, brown bear, etc...) is also dirty, which tends to have a negative effect on reliability in AR's. Also, the laquered cases can be problematic.

I agree with RamRod--I'll use Wolf, et al in my AK & SKS's, but use brass in my AR's.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    wolf, brown bear, silver bear, monarch....commie ammo is for commie guns

just my opinion

surv

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkstafoo1 View Post

Ammunition To Go : 1000rds - 223 Brown Bear 55gr FMJ Ammo [ab223fmj55] - $224.95

Also should I use brass or steel case ammunition?
    The Brown Bear ammo in your link uses a laquered steel casing, exactly the same as Wolf. I wouldnt touch it with a 10' pole in my AR, but thats me. YMMV

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links