Which ar

Which ar

This is a discussion on Which ar within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i have narrowed it down to a few brands after doing some research that are in my price range. would u guys list in order ...

Thread: Which ar

Which ar

i have narrowed it down to a few brands after doing some research that are in my price range. would u guys list in order of which of these you would choose them based on what ever it is that makes you like one over the other. STAG ARMS, DPMS, ROCK RIVER, SMITH & WESSON. the ones im looking at in each are the M4 style with the pop up rear site . thanks for your time.

Bushmaster not listed? Mine has been flawless and would recommend them to anyone.

A few years back when I was buying my AR I was wondering about the brands myself. I asked they guy I know at the gunstore if Bushmaster was any good. He said, "Well, I have a Bushmaster bumper sticker on my new truck so yeah I like them"
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    +1 for Bushmaster

For the ones you listed, I'd rate them
    RRA
    DPMS
    Stag
    S&W
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

+2 for the Bushmaster. I don't own an AR but a couple good friends that I always go shooting with have them, and they're great. One also owns an RRA, it's very nice as well.

-Jeff-

I have a STAG in 6.8 and Im VERY happy with it. You cant go wrong with any of those that you listed.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I own a Smith & Wesson M&P15, and I'm quite happy with it. I can't say much for Rock River Arms, DPMS, or Stag, but they're good too from what I hear. I wanted to get a Rock River Arms, but didn't want to wait for one. I think most AR type rifles are pretty much the same, and the parts interchange, so I don't think it really matters what you go with. I know the earlier Smith & Wessons lacked M4 feed ramps and properly staked gas key, but once S&W started assembling in house, they now have both of those things.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    Bushmaster not listed? Mine has been flawless and would recommend them to anyone.

A few years back when I was buying my AR I was wondering about the brands myself. I asked they guy I know at the gunstore if Bushmaster was any good. He said, "Well, I have a Bushmaster bumper sticker on my new truck so yeah I like them"
    LOL! Put me down for the same reply please. I've had Bushmasters going on ten years now, and three models. Customer service is excellent. I've lost parts, called them up, and they sent them even if my rifle was out of warranty. Not bad for a bunch of Yankees (it's fun to listen to them on the phone). I used to be a Yankee, so there's no ill intent here. But I'd venture to guess that Bushmaster is the best selling AR-15 on the market. And more than likely the one with the most satisfied customers. I have no basis for my claim other than their years of good reputation with me, and I believe they are more than comparable on price and quality. How would I rank them overall without experience with other manufacturers? Good question. I've never seen fit to disown, dislike, or disapprove of any of my Bushmasters for any reason. Never had any reason to change. Just like my Glocks, they may not have an ultimate finish that looks good in the gun cabinet when friends or family come to our house....they may not display a name stamped into the receiver that says out loud "I'm worth at least a thousand bucks and I've never been fired". Bushmaster is quality made, here in the USA and I think they have the best reputation for any mass production AR-15 outfit. Half way between an Olympic Arms and a Colt? I wouldn't know. My experience with the Colts was in service....those always worked too, but then again.......they took a trip to the armory every once in a while. I'm by no means saying they are top of the line, but I imagine they are the best for a semi auto available to civilians at a reasonable cost....fit, finish, and function. I don't know of anyone who would tell of a bad experience with a Bushmaster AR-15.

Even though I own a DPMS and love it, any of those listed including he Bushmaster would serve you well. Find the one you want for what you want to pay and don't look back.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

If you really think about it, they are all kit guns. Kind of like a Harley, so many after market accessories, you can build one from scratch. Every time I hear Bushmaster I think of the DC sniper.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Spend a little extra and get the Colt LE6920, don't have remorse after the purchase.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    Spend a little extra and get the Colt LE6920, don't have remorse after the purchase.

-B

I should actually correct my post and say that I have a Mut AR-15. STAG upper, S&W lower w/ a RRA lower parts kit, Ace buttstock.

Links