Any information welcomed!!!

Any information welcomed!!!

This is a discussion on Any information welcomed!!! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Clinton had an assualt rifle ban which Bush allowed to expire in 2004. We all know that Obama will more then likely put a ban ...

Thread: Any information welcomed!!!

Question Any information welcomed!!!

Clinton had an assualt rifle ban which Bush allowed to expire in 2004. We all know that Obama will more then likely put a ban into effect that will be far more strict (possibly a permanent ban). I would like to purchase an assault rifle before I lose that chance.

I have done some research and have found plenty of informaton, however, I'm still not sure what is the best type rifle to go with. I began looking at only Colts and then I found how much a LMT is comparable and cheaper. I've seen the Bushmasters and the Smith and Wesson M&P15. I've talked with a guy in Houston who recommended the CMMG AR15. I like this rifle, it is on the cheaper end of the spectrum and can be easily updated.

I guess my question is What is the best AR to go with and why? I like the 14.5 inch barrel but is the 16 better? Is the 14.5 inch legal in Texas?

Also for 5.56mm rounds, what would you consider to be best ammunition. I really like the Wolf 62 grain hollow point.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

Any barrel under 16"requires a $200 tax stamp for a SBR short barrel rifle,I've built several rifles on star and RRA lowers,they all shoot just fine
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msutxcowboy View Post
    Also for 5.56mm rounds, what would you consider to be best ammunition. I really like the Wolf 62 grain hollow point.
    Wolf is cheap ammo. There is an ongoing debate here about it...some will not use it at all, some will. However, I do not think anyone would recommend it for defense/hunting. When you are shooting at a real target you will want something higher quality.

Cheap ammo = practice/plinking ammo
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I'm one of those your mother warned you about. Okay...just kidding. But I am one of those that won't use any steel cased surplus ammo in my Bushmaster. I care for my firearms...each and every one. I do use Chinese surplus in my AK-47 for practice/fun. It was after all, built for that. I really couldn't say the best AR-15 to go with, only tell you that the Bushmaster is what I've had, and liked over the years. My current rifle is an 11.5" barrel with 5.5" permanently attached flash suppressor. Plenty accurate for me and it's intended purpose.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    First off ... Welcome to the forums

Secondly ... Lets clarify the acronym "AR". It does not mean "Assault Rifle". Too much of the public thinks that any long gun that is black is an assault rifle. AR stands for "Armalite". Armalite was the first manufacturer of the AR-15 and the trademark is owned by Colt. The AR-15 is the civilian version of the military M-16 which is a true assault rifle but the major difference is the selector switch, ie: M-16 or M4 "safe" "burst" "auto" versus the AR-15 (post ban) "safe" "fire". The AR platform is still like the M-16, M4, where it is highly configurable, however, the post ban AR does not afford the same tactical advantage.

Didnt mean to hijack, I just wanted to clarify that acronym.

>>---->
    Last edited by Rcher; November 11th, 2008 at 09:44 AM.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Mine is a BushMaster AR...flat top with an EO Tech.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Unless you have (currently) about $4000 to buy a package- don't. It will be a waste of your money & time. Having something simply, to "have it for when I can't," is foolish. If you want something useful that you can still stock up on ammo & parts for, buy a good bolt action, or lever gun.

Maybe even something like the Remington 7400 (IIRC) series that are mag-fed semi-autos in battle rifle calibers, with 4-6 round mags.

Don't be one of the "Happys" who buys something he doesn't have ammo or mags for, & can't legally sell and is faced with hiding it or turning it in. I'm not sure things will be as bad as I expect, but it happened in Britain; it can happen here. I know two docs (one from Ireland, one from GB) who say this is all frighteningly familiar...

Buying the ammo, mags and the rifle, money is not a concern. I'm just interested in what is peoples experience with said rifle and why they believe it to be the better gun.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by msutxcowboy View Post
    Clinton had an assualt rifle ban which Bush allowed to expire in 2004. We all know that Obama will more then likely put a ban into effect that will be far more strict (possibly a permanent ban). I would like to purchase an assault rifle before I lose that chance.
    Mother of...

CONGRESS drafted and pushed forward the '94 crime law, which CONGRESS allowed to expire in '04. CONGRESS will try to draft another ban, but CONGRESS has also keyed down their legislation when it kept repeatedly dying in committee with zero support.

The rifle you want to purchase is a semi-automatic rifle, and it sounds like specifically an AR15. "Assault rifles" are select-fire and covered by the National Firearms Act, and you're not going to spend less than $10,000 for them.

I have done some research and have found plenty of informaton, however, I'm still not sure what is the best type rifle to go with. I began looking at only Colts and then I found how much a LMT is comparable and cheaper. I've seen the Bushmasters and the Smith and Wesson M&P15. I've talked with a guy in Houston who recommended the CMMG AR15...I guess my question is What is the best AR to go with and why? I like the 14.5 inch barrel but is the 16 better? Is the 14.5 inch legal in Texas?
    Depends what you want to do with it. If you plan on trusting your life to it, don't plan on paying less than $800 (ADS & Henderson Defense), most often a bit over $1,000 (LMT builds, CD Defense). If you want a range plinker or a gun to tinker around with, build one up yourself. Form follows function, so determining what you're wanting the rifle to do will help you determine things like barrel length (anything from 14.5" w/ flash hider to 20", if you want to avoid NFA paperwork) and twist (1:12, 1:9, 1:8, 1:7).

Best for what? Personal defense? If you have a 1:7 twist barrel (borrowing from Dr. Gary Roberts, who studies this professionally), think Hornady 75 gr OTM, Nosler 77 gr OTM, and Sierra 77 gr SMK OTM. Barrels with 1:9 twist perform better with 60-69 gr bullets, so 69 gr SMK OTM, the 68 gr Hornady OTM, the Winchester 64 gr JSP (RA223R2), the Federal 64 gr TRU (223L) JSP, Hornady 60 gr JSP would all be good options. Having a 1:12 twist really limits your choices to 55 gr Federal bonded JSP load (LE223T1 or P223T2) or Barnes 45 or 53 gr TSX for personal defense loads.

For defensive use, though, I don't think any firearm is suitable until you've practiced and trained with it. Buy the cheap stuff and stick with a weapon you're more familiar with until you get a solid feel for an AR15.

Hope this helps.

-B

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I think there are a lot of decent middle of the road AR's our there and that's what I'd recommend. I would insist it be chambered for 5.56. When Obama ends the wars in Iraq and Afghanastan .223 will become dirt cheap again Sorry, couldn't help it.

I do think if you can easily afford the high end AR's like Colt, then go for it. I ended up with a Stag Arms and I believe it's a good value and will serve me well.

I disagree completely about having to have a $4000 package. Although an AR isn't an assult weapon, I believe the dem's will certainly try to characterize it as such.

Long before getting an AR becomes restrictive I belive the magazines will be the first issue. I do think eventually we'll see a new assult weapons ban that will limit capacity.

I would recommend we all stock up on 20 - 30 rd mags once the current knee jerk reaction is over and the supply catches up a little. I personally really like the straight 20's.

Let's face it, even in a totally bad situation, few of us civilians will arm our selves and move around outside with an AR or any other long gun. If that happens, there's simply no amount of preparation that's practical that we're going to be able to do.

Realistically, I believe magazines and ammo should be stocked as a hedge against price and availability.

This might seem like a foolish question...but are mags for AR's interchangable or will one type only work for type of rifle? I know on my pistols I have to have the mag made for the gun however looking at info I have not found mags that are specifically made for a certain AR?

I have a 14.5bbl inch with 1.5 inch flash supressor permanately attached to the barrel. It is a bushmaster xm-15. It serves me well and I have never have had any trouble with it. If I had the money to buy another or could buy the first one again I might have bought one without the carry handle but it doenst bother me too much. I use it just for plinking but it isn't something I would want to scope. If I wanted that, I would want a longer barrel and a flat top. If you want the gun for self defense, the shorter barrels and collapsible stock make it easier to move around with in a small space (ie your home). IF you want it for hunting/precision shooting than you probably want a longer barrel IMO.
    There are quite a few manufactures out there. Bushmaster has been around awhile and I think makes good guns for a good price. I have heard nothing but good things about rock river arms AR-15's so you might look into them. I also think Les Baer makes AR's that are top notch if money is not an issue.
    And yeah, wolf is not top notch ammo. I shoot a ton of it but only at the range. I wouldn't want it for self defense. Check out Hornady for self defense rounds.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

AR mags are interchangeble.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Links