Serbu super shorty - worth it??

This is a discussion on Serbu super shorty - worth it?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So this little bad boy has caught my interest, my question is - would it have any practical applications or is it just a fun ...

Thread: Serbu super shorty - worth it??

Serbu super shorty - worth it??

So this little bad boy has caught my interest, my question is - would it have any practical applications or is it just a fun range toy?

I know that it's actual application would be somewhat limited, but to everyone that has one what would you say, was it worth the money?

I've done a search and everything it brought up some limited results.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I've thought about getting one and even posted a picture of it here awhile back with a thigh rig made just for it.

Practical applications? It would be tough in a shoot out with a load of buck at car ranges. I shot one and the pattern was done at around twenty yards, it was too big a spread to be of much use unless you were shooting at a pack of wild dogs or something.

It wouldnt be a bad truck or 4 wheeler gun, but its too big to carry concealed.

Fun? Oh yeah. There's just something about shooting a short barreled shotgun at silhouetts up close and watching lots of hole appear.

Get it if you want it.It's a great conversation piece and may even be a collectors item someday.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    It makes a dandy little breaching gun, if you are wearing the proper protective gear on your hands and arms. Some sort of stand off device at the muzzle would make it even better.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Maybe this will give you some info to help you decide?

DOWN RANGE TELEVISION with Michael Bane - DOWN RANGE TV - DRTV

-JT

BAC
    Knuckledragger, take a peek at Iron Ridge Guns. They have muzzle devices for shotguns that may interest you.

I want two. That I want them makes it worth it, to me. What qualifies as "worth it" to you may differ.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Maybe this will give you some info to help you decide?

DOWN RANGE TELEVISION with Michael Bane - DOWN RANGE TV - DRTV

-JT
    Nice video, I noticed how much fun he was having. He couldn't stop shooting that thing!

I can't help but wonder if I'd be better served with a coach gun or a regular mossberg/remington - much cheaper too.

Just got caught up in how awesome the serbu is. This doesn't mean I still don't want one, it's really tempting, but now I gotta decide between this or a new AR. and no I can't get both haha. decisions decisions

would like to see a 1100 or 1187 version!!! Impractical for my needs but looks like a blast to shoot. One of those guns you hope your friend buys!
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Nice video, I noticed how much fun he was having. He couldn't stop shooting that thing!

I can't help but wonder if I'd be better served with a coach gun or a regular mossberg/remington - much cheaper too.
    I can't help but wonder if he hit anything. Notice he was shooting in daylight and some of the rounds had a pretty amazing muzzle flash. I have shot a slightly longer SBS and in the shade, the muzzle flash was pretty amazing. Amazing muzzle flash tends to not be a good thing for SD, however.

As noted in the video, it may be a great quick reaction weapon to deploy...in a team situation. I just don't have a team.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Senior Moderator
    A team of dudes that was popping off rounds as fast as possible could put so much lead in the air that a gnat could'nt pass through it and the EPA would declare it a hazardous materials area.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

M2
    Yeah, but in 99.9% of HD situations, it is you and you alone.

The Serbu's caught my attention a while back, much like the Taurus Judge (.45LC/.410 capable revolvers) I thought they were a pretty cool weapon. But then I think about it and realize that they have limited functionality. Range and accuracy aren't this guns forte, but for up close and personal situations they can be useful. But my goal in a SHTF situation is not to get up close and personal!

For me, I went with a Mossberg Persuader, the longer barrel means more power and accuracy behind your shots. Especially with the 3" Magnum 00-buckshot rounds I load in it. Plus, it can carry more of them, and I can also slap a light and laser on it without problem. And the kicker is the overall set-up was considerably cheaper than a Serbu.

Serbus are cool, and I wouldn’t mind owning one if I had enough spare money laying around to afford it; but the truth of the matter is that they are specialty weapons that have limited functionality, and there are better SD options out there!

Cheers! M2

Links