The AR build project is underway

This is a discussion on The AR build project is underway within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After scooping up a forged DPMS receiver, I'm on my way towards one of my 2006 goals: getting into the AR. I was half convinced ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After scooping up a forged DPMS receiver, I'm on my way towards one of my 2006 goals: getting into the AR.

I was half convinced I'd found a factory rifle that would be fine but the more I thought about it the more I realized I was wasting a couple hundred bucks if I bought it because I'd immediately replace a couple things, and this receiver came along... so heck with it all.

Next bits to go in are the lower parts kit, and a 6 position stock.

I'm actually currently shopping for the upper I want, and I actually think this guy right here from AIM surplus is the one.

http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Upper_Assemblies.html

It's a brand name upper with all the features I want, and what is most impressive to me is that at $475, it has the bolt carrier/charging handle and the flip up rear sight, which is what I want.

See lots of people can sell me that upper for that same price because I don't really want a carry handle, but then I'm stuck shelling out another $100 for the fold up rear iron sight.

I'm not married to any particular brand since I've gone the frankengun route anyway, but I will stick to companies I've actually heard of. I had someone try to pawn an Advanced brand AR15 on me a while back. I wouldn't touch it because I have never heard of Advanced.

I think I'll probably pick up a Stag lower parts kit, since it would just make me feel better if the lower's internals were made by the same people as the upper I'm considering. All the good lower parts kits cost the same anyway, which isn't surprising considering they should all be, in theory, identical.

I figure if I like this one, I'll do another one next year with a 20" barrel and A2 upper. The irony is I should probably do that build for my first one, but I really think this'll be my only AR 15 so I'm going to get it like I want it.

I'm going to get the upper last. The reason is if I get an upper and don't have the rear sight I need to finally go shoot the stupid thing, I am gonna be ticked off!

I'll tell you what though don't be fooled on gunbroker... they list an upper but none of them have the iron sights, the charging handle/bolt carrier etc.

Make sure you take pics all along the way of the Build ..

Glad your finally starting your project

Lead Moderator
    Nice, I may get a Stag upper( LH )some day. I guess you are looking to build a carbine then.

I wondered about a left hand upper

More or less rocky. I don't want a varmint rifle, although the thought did cross my mind.

I was inspired by the AR-15 they rent at my range. It's an M4 clone with the A2 upper and a fixed position stock. I thought "This is okay, but it'd be a lot better with a couple of changes..."

Good thing with Ar is if you want to add a 20" Barrel later 2 pin's and change whole upper

OD*
    Good luck with your project Euc, sounds like fun.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds like a good start Euc - and yeah - some pics please!

When you have this one complete (for practice) then you can build me mine
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

They're so easy to build. I have less than 2 hours of very leisurely build time in mine and it's been 100% reliable in the 400rounds it's digested.

Chris

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Careful how you build the weapon if your using a post ban lower. -- Also,take the time and spend the money(or do it yourself) to put in a good/great trigger system. For carbine or varmint,a great trigger is GREAT. If you do it yourself,take care that it wont "double" on ya. It will shoot two so fast that you wont even know it(unless you count the rds in the mag) It's a fun build. Good Luck ---------

Careful how you build the weapon if your using a post ban lower.
    How so? The ban is gone, so none of the "preban" or "postban" labels mean anything. At least not in Virginia...

Chris

Administrator

Good Luck W/ Your Project Euclidean

If I might make one suggestion.
    That would be to call Brownell's up on the phone & request their printed catalog.
    They have good stuff in there for the AR & you can look at the match & competition trigger groups & low mass hammers & optics mounts etc.
    Lots of useful tools in there also. It's a great catalog for the home gunsmith.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    How so? The ban is gone, so none of the "preban" or "postban" labels mean anything. At least not in Virginia...

Chris
    Deepending on the state, some mirrored the National AWB with their own state law, and are still in effect.

Lead Moderator
    Euc., Also try looking on AR15.com -Equipment exchange. Some good deals to be had sometimes.

That's why I'm planning this now. I want to know exactly what I am looking for before I go looking for it, if that makes any sense. I'll start checking there when funds pile up.

RE: the trigger, I've read much about the debate between single and double stage, and this that and the other. Someone says he uses a double stage for 3 gun, and then the next guy says single stage is more versatile, and then everyone starts arguing...

For now I just want the plain old milspec trigger. I think you should learn to walk before you try to run and all that.

It's not so hard to replace it, after all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links