Ak 47 or ak74

This is a discussion on Ak 47 or ak74 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Narrowing down my list. I know the ak 47 has better stopping power with the 7.62x39, but in my area the 5.54 is much cheaper. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ak 47 or ak74

Ak 47 or ak74

Narrowing down my list. I know the ak 47 has better stopping power with the 7.62x39, but in my area the 5.54 is much cheaper. (160per 700 rd can vs 280 for same) 223 and 7.62 are the same price in every store i go to.

Found a sar 2 ak74 for 440 in great unfired condition. It fires the 5.54.

Everywhere else the wasr 10 is the only ak in same price range. tHEY DO NOT FEEL AS WELL PUT TOGETHER.

Because i plan to mostly shoot at the range, i'm kinda torn. I use my 870/pistols for home defense, so i would'nt really need it for hd unless the shtf big time. I'm talking zombie attacks.

What do you guys think. Both 223 and 5.54 are very similar in size. I assume the 223 is fragalishish while the 5.54 is not so much.

thanks
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Thats 5.45x 39, not 5.54.

Consider this, if another assault weapons ban goes into effect, and imported ammo for assault weapons is banned, ammo will be very hard to get after a short period of time because people will horde it up.

If it were me, I'd go with the .223 because the ammo availabilty.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    Narrowing down my list. I know the ak 47 has better stopping power with the 7.62x39, but in my area the 5.54 is much cheaper. (160per 700 rd can vs 280 for same) 223 and 7.62 are the same price in every store i go to.

Found a sar 2 ak74 for 440 in great unfired condition. It fires the 5.54.

Everywhere else the wasr 10 is the only ak in same price range. tHEY DO NOT FEEL AS WELL PUT TOGETHER.

Because i plan to mostly shoot at the range, i'm kinda torn. I use my 870/pistols for home defense, so i would'nt really need it for hd unless the shtf big time. I'm talking zombie attacks.

What do you guys think. Both 223 and 5.54 are very similar in size. I assume the 223 is fragalishish while the 5.54 is not so much.

thanks
    -mac
    You appear to be up on the AK 47 stuff from all outward appearances. "Not as well put together" for one, so you have had some experience. On the other hand, your mention of some sort of 5.54 caliber? That's new to me. Last I knew, AK-74's came in 5.45x39, and from a strictly military point of view and FMJ employment, they are lighter and more erratic in flight, creating larger wounds once entering a human body. The similarity to any hi-powered .22 caliber round is that it has more energy per grain at point of impact, and more of a chance to penetrate light field armor than the larger .30 caliber 7.62. Higher velocity is one of the factors. IMO, the 5.45x39 is a wicked round that would cause more internal damage initially, rather than put down the enemy immediately and for good. The .223 and the 5.45 are not really close in the ballistics. The .223 was designed for longer range applications compared to the 5.45 for CQC and ripping them apart piece by piece. Don't confuse the 5.56x45 with the 5.45x39 or attempt to make any correlations with terminal ballistics of the two. 5.45 cheaper? Sure...it's less prolific here, and the market is just starting to turn to the alternative cartridge mainly because of restrictions placed on the former 7.62 surplus arms. Anyone can figure a larger cartridge will cost more than a smaller one simply due to the amount of materials involved. If you want to go for cheaper, then by all means, it may be a good opportunity for you. I did see an Egyptian Maadi AK47 at the show today for $495. I did not see any 5.45 AK74's anywhere. I've only seen those advertised on web sites and in ShotgunNews. Since you have only a shotgun and pistols for HD so far, I really don't think you could go wrong with any medium range rifle caliber for the zombies! Be that as it may. I'm merely portraying my experiences, half of my knowledge, and most of my gut instincts here. I have done absolutely no formal research concerning the aforementioned subject.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Thats 5.45x 39, not 5.54.

Consider this, if another assault weapons ban goes into effect, and imported ammo for assault weapons is banned, ammo will be very hard to get after a short period of time because people will horde it up.

If it were me, I'd go with the .223 because the ammo availabilty.
    Maybe I missed the point of the O.P.?

You need to check out the on-line ammo sources. I just bought some 7.62 X 39 for $220 per 1,000. Used to be 1/2 that - just some short-term buying frenzy right now hopefully.....

Good point on the import issue thou........

http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...aspx?catid=606

Prices still going up, but Ammoman had free shipping for awhile.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    It is the slop of my WASR-10 that makes it so reliable. I know they look like a steaming pile compared to an ultra-sexy AR but the truth is that they take more abuse than a pinata at a Mexican birthday party and still show up for work every day.

Just buy a half dozen (or more) sardine cans of 7.62x39 and you should have enough to last you through the drought.

I love my Romy WASR.

VIP Member
    I like 5.45 round; accurate, light recoiling, and (for now) cheap.

HotGuns makes an excellent point; the rounds' imported; no one to my knowledge is producing it domestically. Maybe that will change due to the introduction of AR uppers (read: S&W) in 5.45, but I doubt it due to the shifted political winds and potential for a new AWB. I recall after getting my first 5.45 AK, ammo was sold out and there were no new imports of the round for nearly a bloody year.

If you get a 5.45...but lots, and lots, and lots of ammo, since the chances of getting more if imports of it are banned are no where in the horizon.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    I like 5.45 round; accurate, light recoiling, and (for now) cheap.

HotGuns makes an excellent point; the rounds' imported; no one to my knowledge is producing it domestically. Maybe that will change due to the introduction of AR uppers (read: S&W) in 5.45, but I doubt it due to the shifted political winds and potential for a new AWB. I recall after getting my first 5.45 AK, ammo was sold out and there were no new imports of the round for nearly a bloody year.

If you get a 5.45...but lots, and lots, and lots of ammo, since the chances of getting more if imports of it are banned are no where in the horizon.
    I might be mistaken but I think Federal is carrying it under their American Eagle brand.

I have been sitting back and watching the Price of 7.62x39 skyrocket; all the while 7.62x54r is falling like a rock. I just picked up another 1,600 rounds due to the price. I can't beat it with a stick.

I haven't had my Romak long, but I'm loving it more and more.

"Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

My advice would be to get the 7.62x39. There is plenty of domestically produced ammo for it (though it is a lot more expensive, it is available). 7.62 mags are easier to come by, and in general, there are a lot more 7.62 AK variants around than 5.45mm variants. That should mean better parts availability, but who can really tell?
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Opps sorry I meant 5.45. Darn slisdexia.

I see what you mean about availability. My dream of a cheaper readily available ammo supply is perhaps a flash in the pan. The dealer I had seen the prices at is now sold out of 5.45 and has no idea when he will get more. He does have plenty of 7.62.

Not quite ready to buy yet, so i have about a week to think it over. Oh well, I could have worse problems than having to decide between 2 guns.

-mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

If your concern is ammo availability, you should look no further than what you already have stashed away in ammo cans and spam cans in your own home.

There are too many issues floating around that could make [insert caliber here] hard to find, now and in the future. From a practical standpoint, if you don't have a cache built up, you have two options:
    1. Buy now, while there is a panic going on, and pay inflated prices.
    2. Wait until the insanity dies down and hope there won't be any bans, importation restrictions or serial numbering.

I have never understood why someone would by an AK in a smaller caliber. What the AK gives up to the AR in long-range accuracy, it makes up for in a better round.

That being said, to each his own. It is great that we have the choice in this great country of ours (at least for now.)

If you are going to purchase just one AK then the choice should be 7.62. As noted in the previous posts, the availability of mags and ammunition should drive you in that direction. If the foreign supply of ammo dries up there are a few domestic manufacturers of 7.62. I would not wait much longer on the AK purchase as the supply is going down while the prices go up. The better rifles out there are few and far between.

I demand you get both! Get all!

The 5.45 is a badass gun. I have a polish cest mag that is a whole lot easier to tote 8 loaded 5.45 mags than 7.62X39.

Still get them both. papa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links