Well, Obama just cost me 2 grand

This is a discussion on Well, Obama just cost me 2 grand within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With the Big O's election, and the pending assault weapons ban, I figured that I better get what I want while I still can. So, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, Obama just cost me 2 grand

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Well, Obama just cost me 2 grand

With the Big O's election, and the pending assault weapons ban, I figured that I better get what I want while I still can. So, I went to The Gun Store (that's the name of the place, not a generic description), and got myself a new Springfield Armory Socom II. I have an AR15 (and I plan to buy the new conversion kit Bushmaster's selling to get rid of the gas system), but I've wanted something in a heavier caliber than the 223 round. The 308 of the Socom II should do the trick nicely. I showed my wife the 2 rounds side by side- it definitely is a bigger round. So, now, on to the tactical shotgun and a few more hand guns. Sorry for the lack of a picture, but no decent camera is available.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Congrats on the new rifle, but I must ask...

What is wrong with the AR-15's gas system?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Nice rifle, did you find it a bit barrel side heavy?

It's a nice choice, I have a M-14, best rifle ever made.

In line with your thread he cost me about $1,000 (& I thank him for it, I have been thinking of it and I figured I had better do it now) I just ordered the S&W M&P15T.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

The AR15 is a gas recoil operated system, It causes carbon and other nasty stuff to be blown back into the bolt and the chamber, requires more cleaning that a piston system..

I think that's right...
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    What is wrong with the AR-15's gas system?
    It's a problem if you don't clean it? Dunno.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    It's a problem if you don't clean it? Dunno.
    Nothing, it's just as cleanable as any other weapon.

To the OP, "O" may have done you a favor...nice snag.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I just spent $2K on my AR-15. Plus another $600 on a G30SF. I should apply for a government bailout.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Yeah, it's a bit on the heavy side. But it's a nice gun. And thanks TRB for the explanation. Yes, all guns require cleaning, the AR just more so. As far as the Socom is concerned, I was really happy to see that the price hadn't gone up, with all of the post election buying. I've been planning on getting it for a while anyway, so it's not a problem, I just planned to wait until after Christmas. Oh well, now it's on to buying a couple of handguns a month for a while.

You can still get a Kodak C713 around here for less than $100! Nothing like a new gun post with pics!

^^^ He has to have some money for ammo. Which would you pick showing a gun off or shooting it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Squawker, give us a range report on that SOCOM after you get it out. I've been looking at those and trying to collect info on 'em just to compare. I'm thinking that'll be my next rifle.........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I must be one of the few people that find cleaning guns can be fun and relaxing. Plus once you're done you have a nice clean firearm again!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

I'm more of a fan of the .308 than I am the .223 so ya' done good!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    $1,200 towards the AR, probably $500 in ammo so far since the election, and about $700 in reloading equipment.

It's been an expensive election so far, but it'll still save me money down the line.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links