Took my Rem. 870 to the range and........

This is a discussion on Took my Rem. 870 to the range and........ within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Knoxx stock sounds like something to look into. Then again, how much does a manly redneck like myself really need one of those for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Took my Rem. 870 to the range and........

The Knoxx stock sounds like something to look into. Then again, how much does a manly redneck like myself really need one of those for $100+? I will say that I believe a solid rubber stock with pad might be better than the factory plastic injection molded one because of it's light weight. But seriously sway me to the Knoxx for $50 more. Is it really that good? Since I've already put my 870 through the paces and am satisfied, I figure the range usage will be dropping off dramatically. Pretty much just occasionally or just to see my friends take a pounding for fun with it. Practiced with full power loads and I'll be keeping it ready to go with the same or some of the low recoil loads.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The Knoxx stock sounds like something to look into. Then again, how much does a manly redneck like myself really need one of those for $100+? I will say that I believe a solid rubber stock with pad might be better than the factory plastic injection molded one because of it's light weight. But seriously sway me to the Knoxx for $50 more. Is it really that good? Since I've already put my 870 through the paces and am satisfied, I figure the range usage will be dropping off dramatically. Pretty much just occasionally or just to see my friends take a pounding for fun with it. Practiced with full power loads and I'll be keeping it ready to go with the same or some of the low recoil loads.
    I probably wouldn't have gone for the Knoxx either if it was just for my use. The 870 is my home defense weapon and I wanted my wife to be comfortable with it. She isn't a gun person at all but after she shot it even she said it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be. For me the stock was worth it if only to make her a bit more comfortable using the 870 if she has to. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. It has nothing to do with me being a girlie-man.
    Tom

Glock 19
    Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II
    Wilson Combat Tactcial Supergrade
    Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade Compact

thats why the 870 is one of the most popular shottys!

You read (from multiple sources) about decades of 870 use without a single FTF. We're talking thousands of rounds in all conditions. I know there are many, MANY loyal Mossburg, Benelli, (etc., etc.,) fans and rightfully so...but you almost never hear a bad tale of Remington 870 performance. Now there might be a shotgun someone prefers more, but it's a rare individual who is worried about being undergunned carrying an 870.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    but you almost never hear a bad tale of Remington 870 performance.
    Talk to any LE armorer. 870s are very good, but hardly failure-proof.

To the Knoxx stock- you can get similar effect by using the shorter LOP, but if shooting from "non-traditional" positions, I've heard many say the Knoxx was well worth it. If you like the straight (non-PG) stock, and believe you might actually have to fire from a behind-cover position (vs. fending off the BG pesky 9mm rounds by thrusting out one's manly breast) it would be worth looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by TLeath View Post
    I probably wouldn't have gone for the Knoxx either if it was just for my use. The 870 is my home defense weapon and I wanted my wife to be comfortable with it. She isn't a gun person at all but after she shot it even she said it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be. For me the stock was worth it if only to make her a bit more comfortable using the 870 if she has to. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. It has nothing to do with me being a girlie-man.
    I would have to agree with TLeath here. I just put the Knoxx Spec Ops on my Mossberg 500. I am not sure that it is as much recoil reduction as quoted, but it is a large difference. The weather here has been pretty crappy, so the wife has not had a chance to shoot it yet, but I know that she is going to like it much better than the stock set up!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

The new Desert recon sure is a soft shooter. I was surprised. It has this special brake and a nice soft cushion on the Speed Feed stock and those are surprisingly effective with Fiocchi Low recoil buckshot loads.

I was trying to get some decent pictures of it today but have not quite got the right light yet in the right place. This is some I was able to get so far.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    The new Desert recon sure is a soft shooter. I was surprised. It has this special brake and a nice soft cushion on the Speed Feed stock and those are surprisingly effective with Fiocchi Low recoil buckshot loads.

I was trying to get some decent pictures of it today but have not quite got the right light yet in the right place. This is some I was able to get so far.
    Not long ago, I picked up this year's Guns&Ammo 'book of personal defense' off the newsstand. 'Shotgun Shootout' article reviewed 12 different tactical shotguns in all. To quote directly from the article on magazine page 100: "The Remington 870 Desert Recon has an earth-colored painted finish, digital camo furniture, an extended magazine, and 20-inch ported barrel with a breaching attachment. The version with the ported barrel proved to be the softest-shooting pump action shotgun the author ever tested."
    This magazine may be on your local newsstand until December 23, 2008.

I am about to agree with him.

And to think I got it mainly because it was cool...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links