Took my Rem. 870 to the range and........

This is a discussion on Took my Rem. 870 to the range and........ within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...........put some 3" #1 shot thru it and I'm here to tell ya that combination ain't for the timid or faint of heart!! I also ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

...........put some 3" #1 shot thru it and I'm here to tell ya that combination ain't for the timid or faint of heart!! I also found the pattern at 10 ft. is about 12 inches across!! I thought it was going to be much smaller. So, it appears I'll be planning on using more than one round if TSHTF at my place. I tried fireing one round with the gun held waist high on my right side. When it discharged the gun jumped back sharply and the trigger guard slammed into the middle finger of my right hand, it got my attention pretty quick! The Rem. 870 is for serious SD work, don't take it lightly.

yes sir, took my new 870 out a week ago, after about 10 rounds of 3" 00 and some slugs i was all done... i blew the wooden target frame to bits first shot.....

Very interesting! I took my new to me 870 Express HD out yesterday as well! Ran five Winchester 1oz slugs, five Remington 1oz slugs, three 00 buck loads, and five #2 steel shot through mine from about 20 feet. Let me tell ya..........this shotgun is pretty light and very easy to maneuver. However...I figure it's lack of weight really puts a pounding on you. I might be looking into replacing the plastic butt stock with a solid rubber one. You can call me a wus, but it's been a while since I shot something that powerful. I was surprised with my accuracy with the slugs, and the #2 steel shot simply obliterated the top center of my target. I know...should have got pics. I was too excited to think about it actually. Don't want to hijack the thread, but sounds like some of us were on the same page this weekend. By the way.......either of you guys have any reduced recoil loads for your 12ga? I have quite a few, but I didn't want to shoot them up on the first time out with Mr B.A. 870.

Must have been a week end for doing some blasting with our shotguns. I went out my back door with my wife and we shot up some cans and tomatoes. Boy, those tomatoes just disappeared.
    We shot a variety of stuff including some game loads and then some slugs and OO buck. I am not sure what to do. I don't mind shooting the Mossberg the way it is, but I also want my wife to be comfortable with it. She was complaining that it hurt. My wife is no weanie, but the shotgun does have some kick for sure. I have an ATI adjustable stock on it right now, but I am wondering about the Knoxx stock. Maybe it would help her be more comfortable with the gun.
    Anyway, we still had fun shooting it.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    Must have been a week end for doing some blasting with our shotguns. I went out my back door with my wife and we shot up some cans and tomatoes. Boy, those tomatoes just disappeared.
    We shot a variety of stuff including some game loads and then some slugs and OO buck. I am not sure what to do. I don't mind shooting the Mossberg the way it is, but I also want my wife to be comfortable with it. She was complaining that it hurt. My wife is no weanie, but the shotgun does have some kick for sure. I have an ATI adjustable stock on it right now, but I am wondering about the Knoxx stock. Maybe it would help her be more comfortable with the gun.
    Anyway, we still had fun shooting it.

Ron
    Check more into the low recoil loads for the 12ga Ron. I got the Hornady TAP low recoil 00 buck loads from TDSUS ( member here on the forum) Tactical Defense Solutions LLC - Specializing in high quality supplies for the critical shooter
    And I picked up two boxes of Winchester Ranger Low Recoil 1oz slugs at this weekend's local gun show. Like I stated in another post, I haven't tried them out yet because I don't want to shoot them up just yet. These run about $1 per round on average, and in my opinion, if they are that much less on recoil, that would be a better alternative than swapping out stocks and trial and error. Seriously...give this a try first, and things might go well.

Thanks RR. I did try some of the Remington Reduced Recoil yesterday and I could not really tell a lot of difference between the two. I have no real desire to spend $120 on another stock, but I have to make this gun so that my wife is comfortable shooting it.

Thanks, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Heh, Heh!

I routinely use my 870 to knock the off jitters. I will fill'er up (no plug) and empty it into something as fast as I can rack and aquire target. Besides getting me settled in it is sure fun!

The most uncomfortable was some Winchester Turkey in 3". I let 2 go to pattern test and I was done.

I have a Benelli synthetic stock set on mine and it still kicks like a mule, lol, nature of the beast. Best advice it to keep it pulled into the shoulder tight, stand w/ one foot forward, knees slightly bent, and lean into it a bit.

I like the 870 as one can change barrels fast, by unscrewing the knob on the top of the forward grip, dropping the slide partway and lift off the barrel and replace. I generally keep my 18.5" on while it is in the house, and will change to the 28" vented when the situation requires. I am planning a cantilevered slug barrel on day.
    Good luck and have fun!

I can tell you the 3 1/2" turkey loads out of my 870 super mag are not to be messed around with. It is a great incentive to be accurate because you DO NOT want to have to take a follow up shot

stick a Knoxx Special Ops stock on that 870!

Sounds like fun. I love the 870!

-Jeff-

I bought an 870 this year. I've found 2 3/4" Federal Low Recoil 00 Buck to be amazingly accurate from that little 18 1/2" barrel.....and they're not bad to shoot.

Speedfeed stocks make the 870 tame with stout loads. I have some on my express, the butt's got a built-in rubber recoil pad.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    ...........put some 3" #1 shot thru it and I'm here to tell ya that combination ain't for the timid or faint of heart!! I also found the pattern at 10 ft. is about 12 inches across!! I thought it was going to be much smaller. So, it appears I'll be planning on using more than one round if TSHTF at my place. I tried fireing one round with the gun held waist high on my right side. When it discharged the gun jumped back sharply and the trigger guard slammed into the middle finger of my right hand, it got my attention pretty quick! The Rem. 870 is for serious SD work, don't take it lightly.
    Well, don't take any firearm lightly, but also:

• 3" mags are unnecessary for SD. Use 2 3/4"; Reduced Recoil loads if available. Your pattern is likely to improve, simply with the less energetic load.
    • Hip-shooting and "skipping" is what is used in some Corrections agencies for the "Fleeing Felon" drill. In a word- "Don't." Aimed fire, from the shoulder.
    • Short stock will aid control more than anything else. Unless it's ejecting under your nose, it ain't too short. A bit of an exaggeration, but the more tightly you can tuck the firing-arm elbow in, the more solid your control.
    • 12-13" is usually a good LOP for all but the most literal knuckle-draggers.

To be blunt: being punished by one's armament isn't "manly"; it's foolish. Your goal is to put the other guy down. Anything that hinders that needs remedial action. NOW.

The "12 Gauge Beast" is a myth/bastardized creation of those seeking a thrill and/or pushing the envelope, ala the S&W .500(or dove hunters wanting a kill at 80 yards). Folks seeking practical usage don't go that route.

Edit to add: Statistically, the 12" spread at 10 feet means that at slightly more than arms reach, you have maybe 3-4 pellets directly going for something vital, assuming that you and your target are stationary. Not saying the combo can't be efficacious, it is just weighted heavily towards 1) someone who isn't determined to kill you, 2) you ability to get a second, third, fourth, etc., round off very quickly, 3) very close proximity for what is considred even marginal lethality, and 4) that you don't miss the first shot.

Rusty

I would try different ammo, 12" at 10' is not acceptable. A rule of thumb is 1" per 1 yard, or 3 1/2" at 10 ft.

You might try some non-magnum 00 buck and get a base line. Here is a site with some 00 patterns that are about average.
    The Box O' Truth #20 - Buckshot Patterns - Page 1

3" stuff is extra recoil, and extra shot, but not much extra energy, 2 3/4" stuff seems to work just fine. Here is a site that has B/G tests, I know gelatin is not flesh, but it is the the best test media we currently have.
    http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/ballistics_shotgun.html
    (go to bottom of page)

I believe in the scattergun as a fixed defensive weapon, it has the stuff to stop the fight, get smart about what this weapon will and will not do.

Good Luck & Be Safe
    First, With The Most, WINS!

Regards, Scattergun Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
    stick a Knoxx Special Ops stock on that 870!
    Yup. Some people don't like them but they do work. I've taken my 870 out to the range to pattern it and with the Knoxx it is a pleasure.
    Tom

Glock 19
    Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II
    Wilson Combat Tactcial Supergrade
    Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade Compact

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links