AR 15s by Olympic Arms ??

This is a discussion on AR 15s by Olympic Arms ?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will only say this, and I'll state up front that it has nothing to do with Oly (or any other particular brand of firearm ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR 15s by Olympic Arms ??

VIP Member
    I will only say this, and I'll state up front that it has nothing to do with Oly (or any other particular brand of firearm or anything else).

Be careful of using "I owned it" as your primary source of data. It is the most simplistic and unreliable of all anecdotal evidence. The entire Scientific Method exists because personal observation FAILS at proving anything. The documented research of others is almost always more reliable (in the big picture) than the personal experiences of one (or even a few) individual.

That is all.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I will only say this, and I'll state up front that it has nothing to do with Oly (or any other particular brand of firearm or anything else).

Be careful of using "I owned it" as your primary source of data. It is the most simplistic and unreliable of all anecdotal evidence. The entire Scientific Method exists because personal observation FAILS at proving anything. The documented research of others is almost always more reliable (in the big picture) than the personal experiences of one (or even a few) individual.

That is all.

Agree 100% But the OP wanted to hear from someone with first hand experiance which is what I provided with a little bit of personal opinion.
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

AEA
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    And there we have it. A realistic man no delusional grand illusions of saving the world with his AR15. Congrats on the rifle, and enjoy it.

Unfortunately, you and he may actually be doing that in the near future!
    Don't worry though.....I'll be right beside you!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    My daughter's boyfriend has an Oly and he love it ! You have a special wife enjoy your black rifle ! Let me point out the differences between the Oly and
    the bushmaster I own. The Oly my daughter's boyfriend has you can only shoot 223,my bushmaster you can shoot both 223/556.Bushmaster barrel
    is chromed line Oly is not this is where some of the extra money goes.Anyways
    I am glad we have one more black rifle in the peoples hands.

Congrat and enjoy the Oly. Mine has been great and is chambered for 5.56x45, so it will shoot 5.56 or .223REM. Never had an issue with it.
    Semper Fi

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    You could also call or email any number of professional trainers what their opinion is about Olympic Arms AR15s.

-B
    Exactly, they see hundreds of "rifles" a year, they have a very good idea of what "lasts" and what doesn't.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Bad Olympic or Good Olympic?
    What is so bad about them?
    Boomer Sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin70 View Post
    Bad Olympic or Good Olympic?
    What is so bad about them?
    Nothing is BAD about them! They are a good entry level firearm. That pretty much summarizes is. Sorry for the confusion.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I have owned 4 oly's over the years, Ive kept one that is a 45acp. I had some problems with some of them but all were manufactured over 10 years ago.. Ive found that through the years most of the guns that I purchased new had problems from the start or rarely devolped any. Shoot a few mags through your new oly and if there arn't any problems ther most likely won't be any. If there are problems, call oly. Seams simple to me

I can attest that the Olympic arms parts will interchange. on one particular range session when my dpms lower crapped we installed a oly lower and finished the day. and i have swapped uppers and lowers on my stag arms ar with the oly and function tested.
    My take is Olympic arms makes a decent rifle that will serve you well and the majority of the failures i have seen with any manufacturers ar's is failure to be kept clean and lubed

Still have yet to shoot the darn thing. My patience is wearing thin.

I read A LOT of negative posts on ar15.com about Oly rifles basically being nothing but garbage. Don't know what to think about comments on that forum, however.

I am looking forward to this weekend's upcoming gun show in the Seattle area. And personally, I would not mind finding another Oly to add to my collection!
    Boomer Sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin70 View Post
    Still have yet to shoot the darn thing. My patience is wearing thin.

I read A LOT of negative posts on ar15.com about Oly rifles basically being nothing but garbage. Don't know what to think about comments on that forum, however.

I am looking forward to this weekend's upcoming gun show in the Seattle area. And personally, I would not mind finding another Oly to add to my collection!
    AR15.com has a lot of great advice that occasionally floats to the top of everything else that's there. After you've read a lot... and I mean a lot at that site it will become easier to separate the two.

Run your gun for awhile. Then formulate your own opinion. Bear in mind that posting a positive experience with an Oly at AR15.com goes over like a turd in the punch bowl at the highschool prom. You're not going to see much in the way of praise as a result.

The Tyranny of the Majority as De Tocqueville would put it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Oly WAS well known back in the day, 1995, for not staking the carrier key that would come off locking up the rifle. Saw a few tails between the legs leaving the range with jacked up guns.

I think Olympic was also responsible for getting 7.62 X 39 steel core banned. Sorry, but you asked. papa

If your rifle runs good, that's great. Enjoy. Buy some spare parts to have on hand, as every shooter should have and just enjoy the gun. Your wife was a sweetheart for buying that for you and you should remind her of that often. Merry Christmas with your new gun !

FINALLY !!! Did the barrel break-in minimum and she ran like a champ !!!
    Not an issue at all in shooting this gun. I finally got up to shooting 5+ rounds consecutively, rapid fire, and let's just say I am happy and very pleased with this economical rifle.
    Did a rapid fire run through an entire magazine also - not even a hiccup. This thing kicks a$$. :-)

Next step is to sight it in. Cleaned it real well, oiled it up lightly, and now she's a shiny pretty black rifle just waiting for the zombie invasion. (ha ha)

Seriously, for a home defense weapon, as a plinker, or maybe even varmit hunting.... I have 100% confidence the gun is a winner. And besides, the benefits of the manufacturer being 30 minutes away and with their lifetime warranty, is, in my book, a definite plus !!!

If I had the money, and if I could find one, I'd grab up another 1,2,3 or more of them in a heartbeat!
    Boomer Sooner!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links