AR 15s by Olympic Arms ??

This is a discussion on AR 15s by Olympic Arms ?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So the wife REALLY SURPRISED me with an AR 15 for my birthday... even with the budget really tight, came across a $600 M4A4 and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR 15s by Olympic Arms ??

Smile AR 15s by Olympic Arms ??

So the wife REALLY SURPRISED me with an AR 15 for my birthday... even with the budget really tight, came across a $600 M4A4 and now I'm a proud member of the "black, scary gun club."

Just curious if anyone else on here has heard of or might own an AR 15 by Olympic Arms? Guns are manufactured right here in Olympia, WA, so I was also proud to buy local.

Haven't shot it yet, but it sure looks pretty on the wall.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Olympic Arms is a pretty well known company.

Enjoy the gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I have a Plinker Plus. I've never had any problems with it.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

AEA
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Olympic Arms is a pretty well known company.

Enjoy the gun.

Yup,.....well known.

Quote Originally Posted by AEA View Post
    Yup,.....well known.
    Oly Arms had a lot of problems with their cast receivers, and since they switched to forged I have not seen an instance of a legitimate beef. They've gotten a bad reputation (earned) that is lingering (unearned). They're not combat guns, but as a ranch gun, plinker, etc. they are great.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

BAC
    Good that they finally switched. If their QC is up to par, they should be able to iron out a lot the problems associated with cast receivers. Now, that still doesn't address a number of other issues, but at least it's a step in the right direction. They've got a lot of work to do to reshape their image.

If you've got the money for a dedicated plinker, they'll work well enough.

-B

I have an Olympic Arms K3B-M4-A3-TC and I LOVE it! People talk trash all they want, but this gun is solidly built. I believe that at one point OLY was trash, but they have really gotten their act together. I am also from WA. What city are you from? Here's a pic of my Olympic:

Hope you enjoy yours. OH, and
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I reside in Enumclaw, WA BTW.
    I had not heard of Olympic Arms prior to finding them on display at the store I stopped in to visit while shopping around. Most of the ARs are running well over a grand, so I was somewhat skeptical at the $649 price. But after holding it and examining it, it seems to be of good quality and the price was more of what I could afford.

While I was browsing through the many guns on display, 99% of which were over what we could afford, the wife went over to the counter and paid for it and then said "surprise!" She kept asking me if I it seemed to be good enough quality and if I thought I would enjoy it, so it means a lot to me that she wanted me to have it. Sure, it's not a big name brand, but it's something I can start with and have fun shooting with the kids. And like some have said on here, maybe the gun isn't a bad deal afterall.

God willing, we don't get them banned, (yeah, I know - long shot) maybe someday I can step up to more fancy stuff. I'll post a picture on here soon.

If my wife had ever done something like that, she wouldn't be an EX.

Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin70 View Post
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. I reside in Enumclaw, WA BTW.
    I had not heard of Olympic Arms prior to finding them on display at the store I stopped in to visit while shopping around. Most of the ARs are running well over a grand, so I was somewhat skeptical at the $649 price. But after holding it and examining it, it seems to be of good quality and the price was more of what I could afford.

While I was browsing through the many guns on display, 99% of which were over what we could afford, the wife went over to the counter and paid for it and then said "surprise!" She kept asking me if I it seemed to be good enough quality and if I thought I would enjoy it, so it means a lot to me that she wanted me to have it. Sure, it's not a big name brand, but it's something I can start with and have fun shooting with the kids. And like some have said on here, maybe the gun isn't a bad deal afterall.

God willing, we don't get them banned, (yeah, I know - long shot) maybe someday I can step up to more fancy stuff. I'll post a picture on here soon.
    As far as Olympic not being a big brand...that's not necessarily true! Olympic Arms is the ONLY AR-15 manufacturer that makes their parts IN-HOUSE. In fact, a couple of the "large" manufacturers have outsourced their parts to Olympic to make. What does that say about them? They have a warranty, and if you have an issue it isn't far to the factory here in OLY. I would say that the gun was a great deal. Enjoy it.

they now have a nice selection of 1911's too. pretty nice people to bounce questions off of.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    As far as Olympic not being a big brand...that's not necessarily true! Olympic Arms is the ONLY AR-15 manufacturer that makes their parts IN-HOUSE.
    Not only is that not true, it's also not important. Superior Arms is another example of a company who makes their parts in-house. I think Sun Devil does, too. I fail to see what this means.

In fact, a couple of the "large" manufacturers have outsourced their parts to Olympic to make.
    Source?

The warranty thing I'm not even going to touch. Hit up AR15.com and M4Carbine.net and you'll find plenty on their warranty work.

-B

Administrator
    Well, the problematic weak link with the OLYs was always pretty much the cast receivers and they have switched over to high quality CNC machined forgings.
    Kudos to any manufacturer that recognizes a problem and then takes positive corrective measures to fix that problem.
    Hopefully they will continue to improve their overall QC.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have a RRA goverment model and also Oly arms flattop with flip up sights. I love the Rock River Arms ! Oly arms front sight fell off after roughly 200 rounds....

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Not only is that not true, it's also not important. Superior Arms is another example of a company who makes their parts in-house. I think Sun Devil does, too. I fail to see what this means.

Source?

The warranty thing I'm not even going to touch. Hit up AR15.com and M4Carbine.net and you'll find plenty on their warranty work.

-B
    First off, AR15.com is a bunch of gear whores that wont buy anything unless it's got Armalite, Bushmaster, or Colt written on it. Secondly, look at the EE on there. You wont see many people buying quality equipment anyways...virtually every last one of them has CLONE equipment on their rifles...yeah I can tell quality is REAL important to them...the majority of them have no REAL experience with OLY. It's hear-say.

As far as you failing to see what in-house manufacturing means..
    In-house manufacturing allows Oly arms firearms to be priced more competitively because there is no "middle man" on the parts. Raw material is made into parts, so there is no other person to pay in the process. This is the most substantial price difference between manufacturers. That's right, the majority of that $1100 Bushmaster is paying for Bushmaster to OUTSOURCE their parts. Now how many of those parts are actually Bushmaster, and how does Bushmaster or any other XYZ company claim those parts to be unique...they aren't. They are run of the mill outsourced parts. I live in OLY, if I have a problem with my rifle guess where I am going? Guess what the warranty process is for a Bushmaster?.....yeah didn't think so..

As far as my source on my claims; ironically enough, ar15.com. DO a search. You can finde same information on OA2.org, an owners forum for OLY. The OLY staff runs that site and will answer any questions.

Do YOU have an OLY?......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links