Defensive Carry banner

Camo Gun Tape

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  HotGuns 
#1 ·
I have a Remington Model 710 30-06 that I hunt with. My wife bought it for me about 6 years ago. The first year that I hunted with it the weather was bad. It was raining pretty good and I thought that I wiped the weapon down sufficiently before putting it in the casse. Well, when I got home, I had some rust on the barrel. I've tried numerous solvents and brushes to get it off without ruining the barrel. It is still there.

I was thinking of putting some of the camo gun tape on the barrel and synthetic stock since it is a hunting rifle. I'm just concerned that when exposed to the rain agian it may get under the tape and cause more rusting that I will not be able to see.

Does anyone have experience with the tape?

#2 ·
I used some camo tape that was cut in the rough shape of a shotgun. It worked well, requiring heat to remove it. I expected to see some rust under the tape, as my gun was prone to rusting easily during my wet weather duck hunting.
Surprisingly , after 2 years of leaving the tape in place it finally started to come apart on the edges. No rust under the tape at all. Similar to this.Cabela's -- Snake Skins Gun Camo Kit

#4 ·
So, the tape comes cut to a specific rifle?

#6 ·
Moisture under the tape will not be good for the metals. The only gun that "needs" to be camoflauged for hunting is for turkey's. All other game could care less. Most game care more about movement than they do the color of your gun. I wouldnt camo it at all.

>>---->

#5 ·
A great way to make a fantastic mess. If it's a rifle you'll use until it's too pitted and otherwise battered to be serviceable, go for it. Otherwise, get it Duracoated or Teflon/molycoated. You can do either of these yourself for about $60.

Even a degreasing and spraying with Rustoleum Rust-Converter would be a better choice.

#7 ·
Will the Rustoleum Rust Converter get rid of deep rust? There is one spot on the barrel that is pretty bad.

Moisture under the tape will not be good for the metals. The only gun that "needs" to be camoflauged for hunting is for turkey's. All other game could care less. Most game care more about movement than they do the color of your gun. I wouldnt camo it at all.

>>---->
I hunt whitetail. I'm not concerned so much with camoflauging the rifle from the deer as I am about covering the rust.

#9 ·
First, lets understand what causes rust. Once water touches any unprotected steel, the rusting process begins. Water and air create iron oxide on steel and they then begin to eat away the steel. Once the rusting process has started its there. The only way I know to remove the rust from metal is to grind or sand it off down to bare metal again and then protect it. I'm sure you dont want to do this. Now all you can do is "control" the oxidation process. I would suggest cleaning the area that has rusted with a little rubbing alchohol on a "Q" tip and then wipe it off. This will displace any moisture on the affected area. If there is bare metal or a pit, you can use a cold blueing product and cover the bad spot. This will help to prevent the rusting process from beginning again in that spot.

From here on out, you need to keep your gun oiled and this will keep your gun from rusting while in the rain. I still wouldnt apply any tape on the rust area. If you get water under the tape, the rusting process will start all over again and you wont know it. Keep blued finish on the spot and keep the gun oiled as normal. The rust spot should cease to grow as long as you have a finish layer on it and keep it oiled.

I would recommend taking the rifle to a gunsmith and ask him what to do before attempting to remove any rust by chemical treatment.

NOTE:

I have heard of using aluminum foil and water to rub an area on a gun barrel that has rusted to remove the rust. The aluminum foil and water helps remove the oxygen atoms from the steel to the aluminum and creates aluminum oxide. The newly created aluminum oxide acts as a metal polishing compound. The aluminum foil wont scratch steel but it may remove some of the blueing from the gun. Use at your own risk.

>>---->

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.