In your opinion, how important is an optic on a defensive rifle...

This is a discussion on In your opinion, how important is an optic on a defensive rifle... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, my work M4 (a true Colt M4) has an EOTech on it. However, I often shoot my quals with the BUIS. I am very ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In your opinion, how important is an optic on a defensive rifle...

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar

Ok, my work M4 (a true Colt M4) has an EOTech on it. However, I often shoot my quals with the BUIS. I am very comfortable with them and we are required to be able to qualify on either sight system.

My personal AR at home is is strictly an iron sight gun. I have been debating getting an optic for it. To date, I'm pretty happy with iron sights. I'm thinking the money might be better spent on ammo.

So, ladies and gents, your thoughts on the importance of fancy after market optics on a defensive AR?
    Thanks,
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

2. Remove Ads

As long as my eyes are good I particularly don't want optics on my AR15, M1A, M1 Carbine, or M1. It's just so much baggage.

I prefer my irons from about 50 to 150 meters. Inside 50 meters I like red dots, over 150 meters and true optics would be my choice. I feel that I am faster with a dot when I'm close, and the difference in speed is reduced as ranges get farther.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

+1 matiki...I'm in the same boat.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I like optics, in my case Aimpoints on all my carbines; I have bad eyesight and my age isn't helping any bit. Plus, I can pick up the nice red dot and superimpose it when the bullets need to go much quicker than I can with my BUIS'.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Administrator
    How important? Not very.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Not important to me. Prefer the simple. I can see far well but not good at reading distance.

I wouldn't personally want optics on a rifle for defense. Just my .02

-Jeff-

I love my Eotech. I have a really hard time seeing my iron sights in dim light or against a dark background. I run an Eotech in conjunction with fixed irons with a lower 1/3 cowitness. I typically adjust the brightness of the Eotech down for low light and can immediately look through the irons if necessary if the Eotech reticle washes out in brighter light or against a lighter backdrop. The Eotech is also much easier for me to use if I have to transition and shoot left handed....just line up the dot.

Some eyes start to go in the 60's...like mine. The EO Tech makes target acquisition much quicker...I like holographic scope.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's a toss up for me really. I do have a red dot atop my AR-15 carry handle, but I have a see thru mount and a flashlight attached. I could go either way. I know enough not to depend too much on a battery powered device for one, and two...I can transition easily from the optic to open sights. My AK doesn't sport any optics or a light. May be less versatile for light to dark scenarios, but I figure muzzle flash from the first round might illuminate anything within 20yds. Low light, I may be point shooting. There is a difference in low light and darkness. Something maybe the O.P. wasn't thinking about right off. With all hopes, any need for the defensive rifle or carbine would occur in broad daylight...but we all know bad things can come in the night.

I recently added Aimpoint T1s to two rifles and have been very pleased with the results. Is it important to have the red dot optics on a defensive rifle to me? Not yet, but it is a real benefit, IMHO. As my eyes deteriorate, however, I can see where the benefit will convert to being importance quite readily.

The nice thing about a dot optic is that you don't have to align the sights. Sure, for an experienced person, sight alignment is a natural endeavor due to extensive practice. However, my defensive rifle may not be used by a person that has that sort of extensive practice and so the dot optic is a real benefit.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Administrator
    I think an illuminated reticle is helpful/beneficial right at dusk even for folks with perfect vision.
    Also for shooters that are near-sighted the EOTech Holographic is especially useful. Since it is a true Holographic sight.
    Reason being that (when correctly used) the hologram places the reticle out at the same far distance as the intended target so wearing prescription eyeglasses everything far (illuminated reticle & target) is crisp and in perfect focus while the EOTech housing is (of course) blurred.
    I think that everyone that is near-sighted and uses corrective lenses absolutely needs an EOTech on a battle rifle.
    Just my personal opinion on that.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I hope an optic is not too important, because my chief won't let me have an optic on any duty or self-defense weapon. (If I defend myself while off the clock, it is considered line-of-duty.) One reason I stopped carrying a patrol carbine is because I couldn't focus on the front sight of an AR15 carbine anymore. Qual time became an excruciating exercise in frustration. I would pass qual, but the group size shook my confidence in my ability to place a precise shot quickly. Hmm, maybe an optic is important, then!

Sorry for venting. I have a Trijicon Reflex sight, and a Leupold 2.5 scope, awaiting the day that a committee finally decides we can use optics. Meanwhile, I have two shotguns, one of which has a honking, big, square-cornered tritium front sight, and ghost ring rear, from Scattergun Technologies.

Until about age 42 or 43, I, too, thought I would never want an optic on a defensive weapon. Nothing like reality to change one's mind. I now want a scope and a red dot optic, if I can make it work. I have seen mounts that piggyback a small Docter sight on other optics.

BAC
    Depends on what you train with. Red dot sights tend to be faster, but no technology can account for lack of training, and someone who shoots 1,000 rounds a year through an RDS probably can't hold a candle to someone who shoots 10,000 rounds a year on irons.

That said, I see an Aimpoint T-1 in my future.

-B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links