School me about AR-15 Stocks

This is a discussion on School me about AR-15 Stocks within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm looking for information about collapsible stocks for my AR-15 carbine. I know about the EMOD from Vltor, can you access the ...

Thread: School me about AR-15 Stocks

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar

School me about AR-15 Stocks

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm looking for information about collapsible stocks for my AR-15 carbine.

I know about the EMOD from Vltor, can you access the storage compartments with everything mounted on the rifle?

Also looked at the UBR from Magpul?

Any thoughts? Any other suggestions that I should check out?

Thanks,

Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Personally speaking, the storage compartments on stocks like the EMOD and Modstock from Vltor and LMT SOPMOD is less important than the cheekweld I get from the stock; the balance it provides to the overall weapon, and "rattle" factor (the stock wobble when locked at any of the four-to-six positions on the buffer tube).

That said, I have used Modstocks, Magpul CTRs, and SOPMODs on my carbines and they are all good-to-go. The CTR is one of my favorites since its cheaper than the SOPMOD or Modstock (at least when and where I bought it) and it locks up tight with no rattle. Magpul's UBR is supposed to be a slick stock and may get one when I get a mid-length upper. Magpul now has the "MOE" stock which is a "CTR Lite" without the locking lever and QD swivel attachment point; both of which are important to some people; not so much for others.

The EMODs supposed to be really good too.

If you don't know this already, but the stock you get needs to conform to the buffer tube; either commercial or military.

BTW, I don't consider the storage on the stocks critical because I'll either have spare batteries, bolt, and spare parts on my vest (with mags) or a "go" bag. However....your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by srfl; November 23rd, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    SRFL...

just want to have the option of having storage on the rifle. Not sure that I'm going to use it that much.

I'm shooting a Bushmaster Gas Piston Carbine....I think that would be a mil spec buffer tube no?

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Bushmaster uses civilian buffer tubes IIRC, not mil-spec.

+1 on the emod, though, as that is the one I'm eyeballing for my AR.

The big difference is what kind of tube the stock uses. If you have a mil-spec buffer tube there are a lot of stock options - if you have a commercial tube there are fewer options - if you want a UBR you'll be putting a specific Magpul tube on that will never work with any other stocks. I like my E-Mod a lot. The rubber buttplate and cheekweld are the best parts about it IMO.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    AFAIK Vltor makes stocks for both commercial and mil-spec buffer tubes.

BAC
    Most aftermarket collapsible stocks are an improvement over the standard ones. More durable, better cheek weld, etc. The industry standards are without a doubt the LMT SOPMOD, Magpul CTR, Magpul UBR, and Vltor EMOD. Stocks are a lot like grips, so pick the one that gives you the most consistent cheek weld and know you'll be buying any of the above with confidence.

-B

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I have the Magpul CTR on my AR and have found it to be of very high quality. There is no slop or rattle in any of the positions. It is also sold be in either Mil-Spec or Commercial versions.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884 View Post
    SRFL...

just want to have the option of having storage on the rifle. Not sure that I'm going to use it that much.

I'm shooting a Bushmaster Gas Piston Carbine....I think that would be a mil spec buffer tube no?

--Jim
    Roger.

As Chooie stated, BM uses commercial tubes.

As I stated, the UBR and EMOD are sweet stocks....both of which I'll probably get as well.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have the Magpul MOE. Of course, I haven't shot anything yet, as my upper is still backordered, but on just handling the complete lower I like the ergonomics of it so far. We'll see in a week or two how that translates to range time.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links