FN FAL or M1A

This is a discussion on FN FAL or M1A within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just took 2 rifles in trade.....a very nice 18" FN FAL built by Arizona Response Systems on an Imbel receiver and a standard Springfield ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FN FAL or M1A

FN FAL or M1A

I just took 2 rifles in trade.....a very nice 18" FN FAL built by Arizona Response Systems on an Imbel receiver and a standard Springfield M1A. I know very little about either rifle but like them both. The FAL feels especially solid. Which is more reliable for serious purposes? If you could only have one, which would it be?

2. Remove Ads

Two of the best MBR's ever made so there's really no "wrong" answer between them. I love my FALs and they're lighter weight nor suffer the thumb bite of the M1A.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have no experience with the FN FAL but I am sure it's a great rifle if it's being compared to the M-1.

Senior Moderator
    I prefer a quality FN-FAL over a M1A.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member

Both are excellent designs.

I have each. Three Indian made R.F.I. (Rifle Factory of Ishapore) and one Belgian made that served with the Israelis. The latter was converted from full to semi auto only. I once used one of my RFI's during a three gun match. I pumped about 250 rounds of ball through it on a single stage. It didn't miss a beat and had oil boiling out of every possible orrifice by the end.
    My M-14 is also converted from full auto. It also has performed flawlessly.
    Under Canadian law both are now classsified as "Prohibited" status. This means as a grandfathered collector I can keep them and acquire more if I wish. But I'm not even allowed to take them to the range, let alone hunt with them.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I would say the FAL

-Jeff-

FAL....

The open action of the M1A1 is more trouble to keep clean than the FAL's IMHO...
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

You should keep the FN just for the Imbel receiver, try buying one these days. https://www.cogunsales.com/index.php...chk=1&Itemid=5
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Senior Moderator
    I'll take the M1A just because of the marvelous accuracy that can be obtained from one. A friend of mine has a tricked out Springfield that is extremely accurate. We can shoot a 9 inch diameter gong at 600 yards about as fast as you can pull the trigger and hit it every time. It is awesome to the point of being no challenge out to 800.

It is a big heavy gun with the scope on it. If I had to tote one around all day, I'd go with the FNFAL. They are great rifles, but I have yet to see one hold a candle to the M1A for the long shooting capability.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

FAL.

Only reason being that post AWB II it will very likely be banned by name under the premise that it is an import and a 'weapon of war' type firearm.
    The M1 parts and supply line domestically is stronger than that of the FAL to which even in a post AWB environment scoring one will be easier than same for an FAL.

If money were allowing me to keep just one then without consideration for any other viable reasons I personally would choose the FAL.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

FAL

And you have one that is put together by ARS. Mark does very nice work and you can rest assured that it is headspaced correctly and has been test fired and zeroed.
    Keep the gun oiled and the temple clean

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Both if you can

M1A for me, have own one NM for 34 years and works great. Holds MOA yet.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Well everyone, thanks for your opinions. I'm going to try to keep them both. I took them in trade, so I don't have much real money tied up in them. I'm looking forward to taking them out and shooting them both. I've wanted an M1a for a while and I got the FAL cause I figured it would be a good investment...but it's starting to grow on me. I might have to pick up some Ironwood Designs furniture for it. Does anyone know how to tell if you have an inch or metric FAL?

More than likely it is a metric rifle.
    If it has an open eared gasblock and a fold down rear sight it will be an inch.
    Keep the gun oiled and the temple clean

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links