Looking for 2 rifles. Need help deciding.

This is a discussion on Looking for 2 rifles. Need help deciding. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hereís the dilemma. Iím looking to sell/trade a Rem 700BDL in .22-250 and a Rem 11-87 SPS camo 12ga. Looking to replace them with 2 ...

Thread: Looking for 2 rifles. Need help deciding.

Hereís the dilemma. Iím looking to sell/trade a Rem 700BDL in .22-250 and a Rem 11-87 SPS camo 12ga. Looking to replace them with 2 defensive rifles in a shared caliber. 1 bolt action and 1 semi, pump, or lever action. I want to stay in the $1000 range total for both guns (probably used). Iíve been thinking about the Rem 7615 and a Rem 700 in .223. Iím not opposed to Win, Marlin or Savage, I just grew up Remmy. I want one rifle for accuracy and the other for a brush gun. Iím not opposed to an AR, but one would price me out of getting 2 guns.
    All of this is hear-say of course, but Iíve heard good and bad about Mini-14ís which I know opinions vary. My info came from someone in the local sheriffís dept. They had to send back about 75% of the ones they bought. His lasted one day before it started jamming. Iíve seen where anything beyond a Rem 10-rd mag can be trouble in the 7615.
    Iíd thought about getting a lever action in .38/.357spl to share ammo with my j-frame, but they are hard to find around here used. I really like the Marlin guide gun in stainless, but I canít justify adding yet another caliber to the stables; especially an expensive one.
    Any other ideas?
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Weeeelll... I would keep the 11-87.

I would keep the .22-250 and have the barrel cut to 16-18" (if there is no remarkable difference on the ballistic table, go shortest.)

I would change my optic to a 2-6 or a 2-8, if you can find one. I have a .308 in that config, with a 1.5-6x26. The low magnification allows use at room distances, with both eyes open, and the ready capacity to reach to 200+ yards immediately. The .22-250 isn't the ideal (IMO) caliber, and if you can trade/sell to get a 7mm/.308, I'd be more inclined towards the larger caliber. It can certainly get the job done, though, if you have ammo and good optics.

Defense of position doesn't require a semi-auto... though it does have advantages. I would avoid the Minis. Maybe keep your 11-87, get an 18" barrel, and trade for a 7600 in .308, or similar caliber...?

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    IF you're going to make a change, get the most reliable, medium power brush gun ever made: Marlin 336 in 30-30. That's one round that is widely available and will probably be around for many years to come. The 336, or older Win 94's, can be very accurate at 100 yards, and still really good at 150 yards. Rugged and reliable!

I tend to look at long range planning in the future ammunition availability department for some weapons. Nobody wants to take away your old round nosed bullet hunting gun....

surv

here's my vintage 1973 Model 336 that I refinished this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by prawls View Post
    Iíd thought about getting a lever action in .38/.357spl to share ammo with my j-frame, but they are hard to find around here used.
    If you'll consider the Puma lever-action rifles (by Legacy Sports), you can find .357mag in 16" stainless (or blued) for ~$500 or less. That'll get you caliber compatibility with your revolver.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Can't believe I really typed .357 special.
    CARRY GUNS:

Little background I probably could have included in the first post...
    I've got my dad's Win. Model 94 Ranger 30/30, but for sentimental reasons I haven't really done anything with it or stocked up on ammo for it.
    I'm currently turning my 870 into an HD 870. I've got my 1100 that I can use for hunting and it was the first shotgun I ever had.
    I'm light in the rifle department which is why I'm willing to part with the 11-87, even though it is a sweet gun.
    The .22-250 was won in a raffle. I picked that caliber because I was going to use it for ground hogs, which I never hunt. Its about the only thing you can use a rifle for close to home.
    Thanks for all the input.
    CARRY GUNS:

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    between the .22-250 and a .223, I would take the .22-250 every time, since you mentioned a bolt gun or other manual loader.

But, you DID mention "brush gun".... still nothing better in the brush than a 30-30 lever gun.

Add some sort of .223 if you like but keep the .22-250 and keep it as it is. There's absolutely no reason to trade away a fine Remington .22-250 and no reason to emasculate it by cutting back the barrel. You've already got a top notch .22 center fire bolt gun that handily whips the .223.

Not a thing wrong with that 11-87 you've already got either but the 1100 can stand in for scatter gun duties.

I'd be more for losing some of the "carry guns" you list in favor of adding an additional rifle than I would making changes to any of the great long guns you already have acquired. I'm more of a rifle fan though and take them more seriously than I do hand guns.

Actually trying to unload the Keltec and Bersa as we speak. I have a soft spot for the Sig and Kimber. The S&W is in the drawer for the wifey. The Ruger is going to enter the never leave home without it category.

I'm actually leaning towards keeping the 700 and trying to trade the 11-87 for a .38/.357 lever action if I can find one in good shape. Also have a 700 ML that I really don't have a use for, but I know I won't get anything for it.
    CARRY GUNS:

Links