The First National Bank of Dad

This is a discussion on The First National Bank of Dad within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well in my case my son would never ask me to buy him one. I am retired and he makes more money then I ever ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The First National Bank of Dad

Well in my case my son would never ask me to buy him one. I am retired and he makes more money then I ever did. If anybody ask for a gun, it will be me.

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Go for it; seems like it is a good kid.
    AFAIK you only live once !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Can you even find an AK now?

VIP Member

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    If my boy came to me with the same question, I'd not tell his mother and would buy it for him as a Christmas gift. No interest no strings, but two:

1) Do not make me regret this or get me in trouble with mom., If you do and you don't kill yourself, I will kill you. And if you do kill yourself I will bring you back if it means sticking my hand up your ars and moving your lips around puppet style. Then I'll kill you, again.
    2) When ever I ask I get to borrow it to play with.

It would be a handshake deal, old man to newly minted man.
    You only live once and assault weapon bans can be forever.

- Janq
    You've got a way with words. Right on. Handshake deal and lay down the law all in one breath.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    So what's the problem? If you loan him the money, and he doesn't keep up the payments, you repossess it, and you have a new gun!

Well, he's going to get yours when you pass on anyway, why not get it for him and shoot together.
    I try not to do too much for my kids...did that in the past and it hasn't worked out like I thought...but weapons are a different category, and time could be running out.

Stay armed...while you can...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    50 years from now I'll probably be paying that pesky $20,000 transfer tax to lovingly hold my brand new single shot .22 rifle. When I'm at the range, that is, since obviously I won't be allowed to bring it home with me. Help him experience it while he can (and hopefully be grandfathered in).

Guns are the best gifts ever...they were made to be shared

When I got a really good job I told my little brother (who didn't own a gun) that I would buy him a pistol. He picked out a P22 and got it on the spot. I won't have to buy him Christmas presents for years!

I say buy him the AK. Then anytime he gets mad at you in the future you can just gently remind him that you got him the best present ever. Just ask "how's your AK been shooting lately?"
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I too frequented the Bank of Dad when i was in college. It was a very nice bank. If you believe an assault weapon ban may become a reality in the near future and you have the financial means to do so, I would say purchase the rifle. (2000 rounds of ammo might not be nessasary at the moment)

Here is my take on it- I ordered an AR for myself a few weeks ago and I am ultra careful about spending money.

Think of it as investing in the next generation gun owners. And as a bonding experience with your son.

If that don't work, you can always buy it for yourself, and lease it to your son until he's paid it off.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Administrator
    Why dont you buy it, let him save his lunch money, then let him buy it from you?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Ban go into effect??.does that mean one individual would not be able to sell to another individual...or is that gun shows and dealers??

I would have mixed emotions...the younger generation live more or less 'I want it now'...far different from my generation...work for it first, then buy. I guess I would wonder what I am teaching him/her on the trappings of credit (and one reason our economy is in dire straits_, but that is another story for sure.

I'd probably do a matching...work/save $500 and I will match. I really don't think he will truly appreciate the sweat and tears if he doesn't somehow pay a price, thus deminishing the true value.

Rick

Tell him you will put it on layaway for him. When it's paid for he gets it. Then if he doesn't pay for it, you have a new rifle to sell after the ban and maybe make a profit or keep it yourself.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

1,000 for an AK? why doesn't he just build one for half of that?

Distinguished Member
    I did it for my son, just told him its B-day, Christmas for the next 10 years

He is bad at saving $'s, so I would guess by the time he had the money, the opportunity may be past.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Simple

You buy it and hold onto it until he can buy it from you. If he doesn't come up with the money then he still gets to shoot it with you whenever he wants and will have to wait till you die of old age before it becomes his.

Lets see just how bad he wants it, he will certainly appreciate it more and remember the transaction for the rest of his life. these are the lessons we must teach our boys to help make them responsible men.

Anyways I'm new to this forum so hi and I'll stop rambling "for now"

Dan
    Believe NONE of what you hear; HALF of what you see and ALL you believe

Accuracy is king,penatration is queen but why not jack'em in the process if you can.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links