Scope Help for the Nearsighted

This is a discussion on Scope Help for the Nearsighted within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been a handgun owner for decades but picked up first rifle/carbine this past week (CX4 Store 45). I haven't fired a rifle since my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope Help for the Nearsighted

Scope Help for the Nearsighted

I've been a handgun owner for decades but picked up first rifle/carbine this past week (CX4 Store 45). I haven't fired a rifle since my two years in the military ('72 ~ '74). Since then my far sight has gone totally south.

My pistol practice is mostly point shooting at less then 10 yards. At that distance I'm accurate without using the pistol sights. Beyond that point shooting accuracy diminishes. When I tried to use the sights with my glasses on I can see the target clearly but the sights are blurred. If I take my glasses off the sights are clear but the target is blurred. At 25 yards the target is very blurred and I can't imagine trying to hit anything at 50 ~ 100 yards.

Are there optics that can help improve my unaided distance vision?

I have a pair of fixed focus binoculars that have no focus adjustment and yet the image is pretty clear (much better then my unaided sight) when looking through them. Are there sights that do something similar?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    I've been a handgun owner for decades but picked up first rifle/carbine this past week (CX4 Store 45). I haven't fired a rifle since my two years in the military ('72 ~ '74). Since then my far sight has gone totally south.

My pistol practice is mostly point shooting at less then 10 yards. At that distance I'm accurate without using the pistol sights. Beyond that point shooting accuracy diminishes. When I tried to use the sights with my glasses on I can see the target clearly but the sights are blurred. If I take my glasses off the sights are clear but the target is blurred. At 25 yards the target is very blurred and I can't imagine trying to hit anything at 50 ~ 100 yards.

Are there optics that can help improve my unaided distance vision?

I have a pair of fixed focus binoculars that have no focus adjustment and yet the image is pretty clear (much better then my unaided sight) when looking through them. Are there sights that do something similar?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Extremely expensive but... the Trijicon ACOG with BAC. Both eyes open aiming through a magnified scope.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

At OpticsPlanet.com, you can use the search feature to zero-in on several options. ie, head over to RifleScopes, or RedDotScopes, then use <search> for the keywords you want, such as: aimpoint 2x .

Seems like one of the expensive holographic or red dot sights might work best for you. Most have mounting options for handguns. If willing to go a more-standard scope format, there are long-eye-relief options out there.

AimPoint makes red dot sights with slight magnification: Comp ML2 2x, 9000SC 2x, or the 3x Module for (some) AimPoint red dot sights.

There are also the EoTech holographic options, which include 3x and 4x choices.

Or, you could go with one of several small-power, extended eye-relief scopes, such as: Leupold FX 2.5x28 IER Scout scope, Nikon 2.5-8x28 EER scope, Bushnell Trophy 2-6x32 handgun scope.

I have the Leupold FX2 Scout, and it's pretty great for use on my Marlin 1894 scout rifle. The Nikon has exceptional optics as well, but the Bushnell (I found) required extremely long eye-relief (too long for where I needed it positioned). For my use, the Leupold allows easy, two-eyed scanning of the field and quick pick-up of the target in the scope when you're about to shoot. A bit long for mounting on a pistol, I think, let alone the added weight, but that's just me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have exactly the same problem as you and here's what I did. I use Bolle Vigilante shooting glasses when at the range. These will accept a prescription insert. I had my optometrist give me a prescription that corrected my vision to 20/30 instead of 20/20 which I then had my optician use to make lenses for the insert. Now at the range, the sights aren't perfect but I can see them and the target isn't perfect but I can see it. This has worked out great for me for general range practice and for CAS competitions. Using this combination, I once even took second place in a CAS long range event with my iron sighted Sharps shooting out to 500 yards. However, you should still practice some with your EDC using your normal glasses as that is what you are going to have on should a defensive situation ever arise.

Hoss

ps -- any rifle scope can be adjusted for your un-aided vision.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Extremely expensive but... the Trijicon ACOG with BAC. Both eyes open aiming through a magnified scope.
    Whow! I didn't want to spend more on the scope then the rifle cost. My wife owns a .38 spl and she knows how to use it :).

Are there sights where the ocular lense can be adjusted for those that don't have 20/20 sight?

........Are there sights where the ocular lense can be adjusted for those that don't have 20/20 sight?
    I've never owned any rifle scope (cheap to expensive) that DIDN'T have an adjustable ocular lens. It is primarily used to adjust how clearly you see the reticle. For maximum adjustment to your eyesight, get a scope with an adjustable objective lens or for the ultimate, get one with side focus.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I've never owned any rifle scope (cheap to expensive) that DIDN'T have an adjustable ocular lens. It is primarily used to adjust how clearly you see the reticle. For maximum adjustment to your eyesight, get a scope with an adjustable objective lens or for the ultimate, get one with side focus.

Hoss
    This is correct. The reason I mentioned the ACOG is that it will give you distance and near vision via keeping both eyes open and having magnification.

You can get an aimpoint or eotech and the image of the reticle will be superimposed on the target (think something close to a laser sight, without the laser).

I have an aimpoint but I have 20/20 vision so I don't need the magnification. You wouldn't need the magnification either, but you'd still have the issue of not being able to see close while focused far (based on my reading of your post)... so the ACOG would help because you could be focused near and far via the eye trickery of the BAC system that it utilizes.

If you are fine with just being target focused, then the aimpoint or eotech should work for you.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well friend, you just described me to the tee!! I'm 48 and in the same boat. I went with an Eotech on my AR and that helps alot. W/out my glasses it's a big red glob in their but with my glasses I can use that well.

Next, I've tried a lot of different red dots but the smaller tube size is hard for my eyes. I'm considering this one...

Truglo 2x42 Dual Color Red Dot Sight

It's got some magnification and I believe the 42mm tube will be better than the more typical 30mm.

Now if you want a bit more precision but at a good price. Nikon Prostaff rimfire scope is compact and would look REALLY good on your rifle. It's a fixed 4 power which i think would be ideal for that weapon. it can be had for right around $100. Now if you're setting this up for close quarters, then a traditional scope might not work in which case you're back to the truglow. It runs $99.

Bummer getting older. I've wanted a lever action .357 but everytime I pick one up I can't hardly make out the sights unless it's really bright out!

But thank God we can still shoot and thank God you could afford such a nice rifle as the Storm!

That TruGlo is a POS, I've got one sitting in my junk gun accessories box right now.
    I am also near sighted and just this past year have started getting back in to rifle shooting and have faced the same troubles you are. I wear bifocals now and it is difficult to find the "sweet spot" when shooting with a scope or iron sights. I found that I can see perfectly through my scope and the reticle is nice and clear as long as I'm not wearing my glasses, like your binoculars do for you. If I wear my glasses the reticle is blurry. I'd imagine you'll get the same effect with any optic that offers some magnification. There are some low power variable scopes out there made for shotguns that might work well on your Storm. Nikon has 2-7x that I had looked at for my AR-15 before going with something more powerful, it looks like a pretty good deal. Prostaff 2-7x32 Shotgun Huntr Mtt [6308 Nik] - $101.44 : ManVentureOutpost.com, Make Everyday A ManVenture!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I would imagine I can complain about vision problems with the best of them. Very nearsighted since age of 8 and by the time I was nearing 50 had -11 in both eyes....about 20:2000 uncorrected. But, wearing hard contacts for about 30 years worked well, and only needed readers occassionally. I opted for lasic surgery, but was not amongst the best candidates... at my own acceptance of the risk factor, had the surgery. Ended up about 20:600, and without super strong readers over my contacts I can bearly see to read headlines on the newspaper....so.... I can sympathize with the vision impared. I do have some rather experimental contacts that make a huge difference in both near and distance vision, but I am amongst the one out of 4 that just can't wear them on a regular basis. So, I have to deal with the inability to see the sights well. Having recently bought a CX4 Storm myself I had to find the compromise solution to the vision problem as well. Being a pistol round in the first place, and not a tack driving target weapon anyway, I figured that optics really weren't going to make a significant differents...at least no magnification oprics. I thought about eotech....for about 30 seconds. Really nice, tough stuff, but almost as much money as I paid for my slightly used CX4. A buddy took his ATN UltraSight off one of his match pistols at the range one afternoon and insisted I try it on the Storm. It took maybe 5 minutes to install and adjust to have every round inside 3 inches at 50 yards, without me wearing readers. I can dial the red dot reticle up to enough brightness that it will appear to cover my target sufficiently to hit COM easily at 50 yards. I ended up giving my buddy $75 for his ATN and he was going to buy the next step up as a replacement. I don't like the fact that a horizontal oriented dial type switch has to be manipulated to turn it on, and hunt for the selected brightness, but if I'm not mistaken, the new "digital models" turn on and off with a button and retain the settings that were pre set.

I think the heads up reflex sights are perfect for short range guns like the CX4, and great for us folks that weren't endowed with perfect vision. Sorry for the rambling.

surv

Thanks for the feedback folks.

After doing a little more research I may be creating an issue where there is none with respect to red dot and holographic sights.

If I'm understanding the technology correctly the red dot or other reticle is projected out 50 yards or so which means when viewing the reticle through the sight it appears as if it was at a distance and not a few inches away from you, eliminating the typical blurring that would occur when wearing glass to correct for nearsightness would not occur.

Based on what I've read by others that are nearsighted and have used these type of sights the trick is not to focus on the glass in front of you but the target (which is at a distance) and the red dot or other reticle (that is made to appear at a distance).

Please let me know if I'm totally off the wall on this.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

After doing a little more research I may be creating an issue where there is none with respect to red dot and holographic sights.

If I'm understanding the technology correctly the red dot or other reticle is projected out 50 yards or so which means when viewing the reticle through the sight it appears as if it was at a distance and not a few inches away from you, eliminating the typical blurring that would occur when wearing glass to correct for nearsightness would not occur.

Based on what I've read by others that are nearsighted and have used these type of sights the trick is not to focus on the glass in front of you but the target (which is at a distance) and the red dot or other reticle (that is made to appear at a distance).

Please let me know if I'm totally off the wall on this.
    This is correct but still varies by sight. Your basic reflex sight (single lens refraction) - aka inexpensive - will have a set distance as you described. Say 50 yards or whatever. You can often sniff out this fact by reading about the scopes parallax claim - i.e. parallax free at 50 yards.

Aimpoints and Eotechs utilize more lenses and your eye will be tricked into believing the dot is at the same distance as what the dot is covering. If you still have a problem you can keep the cover on the front of the sight and when you sight your non-dominant eye will transpose the dot onto the target. This is what separates a true holographic scope from a basic reflex.

ETA: Aimpoint's explanation is here. <-- Clicky

I think the holographic sight might be the way to go. If what you're really looking at through the sight are images that are projected at a distance then the glasses for distance clarity should be an issue. I'll start with an inexpensive one to see if it's viable for my eyesight situation and then step up to something of higher quality for permanent use.

Of course I'd like to go top of the line like an Eotech but budget wise it's more likely going to be Bushnell Holographic...

The Bushnell HOLOsight - It's Not Just for Handguns Anymore!

or Burris Fastfire...

SCP-300230 - Burris FastFire Red Dot Reflex Sight Picatinny 4 MOA with Picatinny Mount Included

Any experience with either of these?

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    well, since you mentioned the Burris FastFire, which is a reflex sight (rather than the more expensive holo), here's one link for the ATN:

ATN Ultra Sight - ATN Day Time Open Collimating Reflex Sights - Day Optics by ATN - Scopes, Riflescopes, Monoculars - Night Vision by ATN

I think the holographic sight might be the way to go. If what you're really looking at through the sight are images that are projected at a distance then the glasses for distance clarity should be an issue. I'll start with an inexpensive one to see if it's viable for my eyesight situation and then step up to something of higher quality for permanent use.

Of course I'd like to go top of the line like an Eotech but budget wise it's more likely going to be Bushnell Holographic...

The Bushnell HOLOsight - It's Not Just for Handguns Anymore!

or Burris Fastfire...

SCP-300230 - Burris FastFire Red Dot Reflex Sight Picatinny 4 MOA with Picatinny Mount Included

Any experience with either of these?
    I have two friends with fastfires. They love them, and I like them for their compact size and durability. I actually intend to get one for my home defense pistol (XD) - but that's been pushed back to make room for other acquisitions.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    well, since you mentioned the Burris FastFire, which is a reflex sight (rather than the more expensive holo), here's one link for the ATN:

ATN Ultra Sight - ATN Day Time Open Collimating Reflex Sights - Day Optics by ATN - Scopes, Riflescopes, Monoculars - Night Vision by ATN
    While I don't have any experience with that sight, it claims to be collimating (parallax free). That would be better than the fastfire if true... although the fastfire is a very tough optic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links